• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation, Lionsgate to Screen 1995 Ghost in the Shell Anime Film in U.S. Theaters in Februar

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zethus_Thorne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:00 pm Reply with quote
If the blu ray has 5.1 on both Japanese and English, I'll probably replace my regular Anchor Bay/Manga copy for the Lionsgate one.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I'm mostly curious if this'll be the same video. Apparently there were some issues with the 25th Anniversary copy. I bought it and didn't notice anything during a casual watch, but I'll upgrade if this is supposedly better.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool but I all ready own 2 copys the 2.0 and the 25th anniversary but it will be worth to watch it in a theater but no anime plays around where I am
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Maybe if they were screening it on film I'd be interested...
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm more excited for this than the live-action film Laughing
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
Connor Waltman wrote:
If the blu ray has 5.1 on both Japanese and English, I'll probably replace my regular Anchor Bay/Manga copy for the Lionsgate one.

The FIRST release of Ghost in the Shell on North American Blu ray -- which is the Ghost in the Shell 2.0 Edition -- has 6.1 DTS on BOTH tracks but that's with a soundtrack that has new orchestration and new ORIGINAL cast recordings.

Stereo (2.0) is all that's available for the Japanese version of Ghost in the Shell (theatrical) and that's all that's coming unless they do new recordings and remixes. I don't think the Japanese film owners have isolated tracks for all the audio in the original film anymore.

Very few people prefer GiTS 2.0 which is why it's only had the one Blu ray release and we're up to at least two releases of the original Ghost in the Shell (theatrical, 1995) on Blu ray now -- including the previous steelbook. I seriously doubt anything will change on the new steelbook printing.
FYI, Lionsgate and Anchor Bay are basically the same company now... Lionsgate bought out Anchor Bay if you missed that tidbit.
Same disc, slightly different company label is what I'd predict -- otherwise, all else will be the same (except MAYBE the disc protection encoding).
There have been complaints online about the previous steelbook but mainly because it didn't have the "limited edition" booklet that came with the original slipcased Blu ray release (which also had metallic printing on it -- the slipcase, I mean). What part of "limited edition" do people STILL not understand????
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
That's not correct, the Japanese Blu-rays and the previous US DVDs all had Japanese audio in 5.1. The previous US release Blu-ray also had a really wonky subtitle track that's much less accurate -- somehow both weirdly localized, AND kinda Engrishy. No idea why they didn't just use the same subtitles from previous releases. Those were fine.

Really hope this new edition fixes both of those.
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Not to mention that even the English dub was missing some audio, like one of the watermelons that exploded silently.

Even if the new edition doesn't fix everything, I'm getting it anyway just for the beautiful steelbook cover.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
I'm mostly curious if this'll be the same video. Apparently there were some issues with the 25th Anniversary copy. I bought it and didn't notice anything during a casual watch, but I'll upgrade if this is supposedly better.

In addition to the mentioned subtitle issues, the English dub is also missing sound effects (explained here and here).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1