• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Network Online to Stream Bang Dream! Girls' Band Project

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hsbeta

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Crunchyroll license it for Germany please.
deadFreak781

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
And Finally Sentai Filmworks ruined the series by putting in their paywall, with only English subs and no alternative for Latin Americans to watch it in out language.

Thanks for absolutely nothing. Your arrogance wins.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
deadFreak781 wrote:
And Finally Sentai Filmworks ruined the series by putting in their paywall, with only English subs and no alternative for Latin Americans to watch it in out language.

I'm sorry....what? "Paywall"? You mean their subscription that every other legal streaming service also requires? Unless you mean you only watch the free low quality versions /shrug

God forbid an AMERICAN company use ENGLISH subtitles when it's our standard language..... Why not contact them offering to translate to Spanish or something? It's not cheap.

------------

I REALLY hope they stop using the yellow subs someday....
deadFreak781

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
deadFreak781 wrote:

I'm sorry....what? "Paywall"? You mean their subscription that every other legal streaming service also requires? Unless you mean you only watch the free low quality versions /shrug

God forbid an AMERICAN company use ENGLISH subtitles when it's our standard language..... Why not contact them offering to translate to Spanish or something? It's not cheap.

------------

I REALLY hope they stop using the yellow subs someday....

We have problems with The Anime Network, they offer only 10+ series, part of them are only in English subs (a few series are translated in Spanish, like Norn9) with only $7. This is very abusive, considering that 95% of their catalog aren't available in any place other than US/CA.

The other problem is that Sentai Filmworks aren't putting Urara and (now) BanG Dream! to Crunchyroll, the only anime-focused platform that broadcasts stuff in our region. That's why I assume that as arrogance. I don't know if any user has any other opinion.

>you only watch the free low quality versions
The legal ones.
SlamMan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:02 pm Reply with quote
I am annoyed that Sentai keeps putting shows on The Anime Network but I felt this way last season about Girlish Number and that ended up on also Crunchyroll at the last minute. I'd be happy if Urara was on delayed simulcast on Crunchyroll but I'm not going to hold my breath. I will just not watch it if it's only on TAN. Bang Dream still has time before it airs so it may still be on multiple sites. Don't lose hope if you are like me and refuse to give more money to an inferior service. If I recall correctly, neither show said exclusively on The Anime Network. There is still hope that Sentai will realize that The Anime Network is not going to get many more subscribers for just two shows and put the shows on Crunchy as well.
deadFreak781

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
SlamMan wrote:
I am annoyed that Sentai keeps putting shows on The Anime Network but I felt this way last season about Girlish Number and that ended up on also Crunchyroll at the last minute. I'd be happy if Urara was on delayed simulcast on Crunchyroll but I'm not going to hold my breath. I will just not watch it if it's only on TAN. Bang Dream still has time before it airs so it may still be on multiple sites. Don't lose hope if you are like me and refuse to give more money to an inferior service. If I recall correctly, neither show said exclusively on The Anime Network. There is still hope that Sentai will realize that The Anime Network is not going to get many more subscribers for just two shows and put the shows on Crunchy as well.

I told them, and that's what I gained:
https://twitter.com/deadFreak781/status/818534104014716929

FYI, what I basically told them is that, due to their condition, they have to depend on Crunchyroll and putting their series on TAN/Hulu only won't gain any new subscribers, specially those from Latin America (including me) since nobody will pay $7 for only a bunch of series (which a part of them are only in English) when the US/CA catalog has lots of anime.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
They haven't even put Urara on Hulu yet either and I'm almost positive they had Matoi up by this point relatively so I don't even know about Hulu, but I hope that is unfounded. These two shows aren't good enough for me to consider a TAN subscription, so I'll have to pass on them if they are completely exclusive. Hopefully they make it available to everyone who wants to see it.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:25 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
These two shows aren't good enough for me to consider a TAN subscription, so I'll have to pass on them if they are completely exclusive. Hopefully they make it available to everyone who wants to see it.

Once upon a time, TAN was at least a reasonable value for those who preferred dubs, but even that is questionable. At one point, Sentai dubbing a series meant one would eventually see that dub on TAN, but that hasn't been true for a while now.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
I actually did have a subscription back in 2013 when they exclusively streamed Tamako Market and Sasami-san@Gabaranai, but they stopped getting those after that for a while until last year or so, and that was really all I had it for so I dropped it, and I never picked it up again when they did start to get them again as they went to Hulu as well, which I have a subscription to, as perhaps is clear already.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:00 am Reply with quote
deadFreak781 wrote:
And Finally Sentai Filmworks ruined the series by putting in their paywall, with only English subs and no alternative for Latin Americans to watch it in our language.

Perhaps this is a sign that companies within Latin America need to step up and acquire streaming licenses, rather than everyone expecting North American companies to cater to the entire globe. Maybe they should've just gotten the US/Canadian rights and left the rest of the world alone. Though for some reason, we're not seeing complaints about the lack of subs in French, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Turkish, Dutch, or Afrikaans, despite the license also including those territories.

Besides, with the CR/Funimation deal, CR is more of "the enemy" to Sentai now. I doubt we'll see the amount of streaming crossovers between them that we've seen in the past.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1