• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Doesn't Anime Use Flash Animation?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:26 pm Reply with quote
CheezcakeMe wrote:

Meh. Depends on the show. Done well you can't even tell hand drawn from not. Done poorly you get, well, Teen Titans Go, which is done on the SUPER cheap.

I remember reading that Gravity Falls was done in Toon Boom which just floored me, but then you have things like Star vs. the Forces of Evil, which, while not bad exactly, does wear its Toon Boom limitations on its sleeves.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Flash animation? You don't want this in anime, things like CG and Flash often don't work well with the typical anime budget (only a handful of late night anime have good CG), it's best done on a Toei or Sunrise anime budget (The Precure movies still have blatantly bad, uncanny CG despite the TV versions showing a lot of improvement, seriously, knock it off Toei, it makes the franchise look bad, use the CG of the TV versions and use your budget to make it a lot better).
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Kappa Mikey was a lot of fun to watch. It really was under-appreciated.
epicwizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
That was a very good question, Montiel!
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:22 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Kappa Mikey was a lot of fun to watch. It really was under-appreciated.

I was hoping someone else was going to bring that up in the comments section. I remember watching that years ago and I remember really liking it, even though I didn't even watch anime at that time. Might have to go back and rewatch it now that i'm an avid anime fan and might get more the jokes in the series. It's only 2 seaons for 52 episodes, so it wouldn't take too long to get through.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine automating the in-betweens would also raise the bar too high for entry level animators looking for work. Although the pay sucks, in-betweens must help train the somewhat amature animators into pros who can do solid key frames.
Terry Lang

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Wakfu animated series is made in Flash and looks amazing.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:23 am Reply with quote
One website has been suffering from the decline of flash: Newgrounds. Some of the best web series I know of came from there, but with the evolution of animation, they're struggling. I remember when There She Is came up on that website, along with No Evil, Neurotically Yours, just to name a few.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:58 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
One website has been suffering from the decline of flash: Newgrounds. Some of the best web series I know of came from there, but with the evolution of animation, they're struggling. I remember when There She Is came up on that website, along with No Evil, Neurotically Yours, just to name a few.

More like other internet sites stole their audience away. You have old internet animators like Egoraptor who realizedyou can make more money sitting on a couch doing Lets Plays for 10 minutes than spending a month to animate a 3 minute video. Or maybe the problem was internet animators starting treating it like their career rather than a hobby so they bailed since Flash was never meant to be something that major
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:40 am Reply with quote
anime_layer wrote:
Adobe actually renamed Flash to «Animate» in a bid to salvage the application with its increasing irrelevance in the software world.

To me it seems Animate is surprisingly resilient and crops up in unexpected places, even in anime. It's definitely not very widespread but I get the impression that especially some new and less traditionally trained animators are using it.

From what I can see, Flash/Animate is still used a lot by one-person studios or hobbyists who just want to get an animated short out there, both because it's a budget option and because the program lends itself well to doing everything on your own.

That being said, Adobe has horribly mismanaged it as of late, but that's the pattern I've seen of Adobe. Shows like My LittlePony: Friendship Is Magic that use Flash/Animate are currently using older versions that have been modified. (I don't know if the cel-shaded 3-D CGI, like the Timberwolves, were done entirely within the program or was done with a mod though.)

Sitensis wrote:
In 3d animation, the model is generally static and only the positioning of certain parts changes, which works for mechanical objects but is the reason for the stiff, unpleasant -shitty so to say- looks of 3d character animation.

And that's why companies like Pixar go to such great lengths to make sure their characters look heavy, soft, and natural in their movements. We've reached photorealism in movie 3-D CGI, or at least very close to it, and anything that isn't photorealistic by these top-end movie studios was intentionally so.

Terry Lang wrote:
Wakfu animated series is made in Flash and looks amazing.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that show. Indeed, I love the way it looks too.

For that matter, ¡Mucha Lucha! was the very first wide-release TV show made entirely in Flash, and while it was very obviously so, you could tell the passion was there: It was never the best, and it always looked clumsy, but it always felt like they really wanted to make something good. We've gone a long way since then.

The way I see it, and I say this often whenever the program comes up, is that Flash/Animate is to animation as the microwave oven is to cooking: It's new, it's quick, it's cheap, and it has a lot of drawbacks that causes a lot of people to not take it as a serious tool, but given enough time, someone is going to start finding strengths to it and will make things that play to those strengths.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2