• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Seven Seas to Release Classic Novels With Illustrations By Manga Artists

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Meh, they haven't license anything worthwhile so far.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I read Pollyanna when I went on a Children's Lit kick a few years back and loved it this is good news. Also gives me an excuse to try something outside my bailiwick as far as what I read in fiction. The Princess and the Goblin would be my first crack at reading anything by George MacDonald who I've always wanted to read since he was such a huge influence on C.S. Lewis.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow! All of my favorites! Yay!!! I am SO buying them all when they come out, even though I already own copies of them!
FrozenMoon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Lots of great recent license announcements from Seven Seas, I'm looking forward to the rest of their title announcements this week.

Thorfinn wrote:

I'm wondering if you've actually read any of their recently licensed announcements, or if you're simply judging books by their covers. Plus I mean nothing "worthwhile" sounds like an insult to the work and the authors, hopefully what you actually mean to say is their recent license announcements aren't anything you're personally interested in. That would at least sound more tactful.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
I read Pollyanna when I went on a Children's Lit kick a few years back and loved it this is good news. Also gives me an excuse to try something outside my bailiwick as far as what I read in fiction. The Princess and the Goblin would be my first crack at reading anything by George MacDonald who I've always wanted to read since he was such a huge influence on C.S. Lewis.

I love The Princess and the Goblin so much that my username is for its heroine, the Princess Irene. Very Happy If you like Victorian children's lit and fantasy, you'll like this one. His novella The Light Princess is also wonderful. ("Day Boy and Night Girl" is probably the MacDonald short story that most clearly had an influence on C.S. Lewis.)

Most of Eleanor Porter's books are out of print, but it's worth tracking down Miss Billie if you liked Pollyanna.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:

I love The Princess and the Goblin so much that my username is for its heroine, the Princess Irene. Very Happy If you like Victorian children's lit and fantasy, you'll like this one. His novella The Light Princess is also wonderful. ("Day Boy and Night Girl" is probably the MacDonald short story that most clearly had an influence on C.S. Lewis.)

Most of Eleanor Porter's books are out of print, but it's worth tracking down Miss Billie if you liked Pollyanna.

I know Lewis thought highly of Macdonald's Phantastes and while I'm not well versed in Victorian children's Literature it's good to know that Princess and the Goblin comes so highly recommended from someone more knowledgeable than I.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I think they're missing a bet by focusing solely on YA titles.

Think of the money in a fully illustrated edition of Fanny Hill ...
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:59 am Reply with quote
^ I just spit my cereal out laughing so hard. Oh my God...now I'm picturing Fanny Hill the hentai manga... Laughing Laughing

...although actually that would be kind of brilliant.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:45 am Reply with quote
FrozenMoon wrote:
Lots of great recent license announcements from Seven Seas, I'm looking forward to the rest of their title announcements this week.

Thorfinn wrote:

I'm wondering if you've actually read any of their recently licensed announcements, or if you're simply judging books by their covers. Plus I mean nothing "worthwhile" sounds like an insult to the work and the authors, hopefully what you actually mean to say is their recent license announcements aren't anything you're personally interested in. That would at least sound more tactful.

Of course I was reffering to their new licenses.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Dang it, I misread the headline and thought they were going to be manga adaptions of classic novels.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
There are likely some extreme anime/manga fans who are also extreme fans/experts of Western classics. I would like to read about their take on these manga versions in terms of faithfulness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1