• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon U.S. Adds Placeholder Pages for Scum's Wish, Onihei, The Great Passage Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'll be looking forward to reading ANN's reviews of Fune wo Amu.
PannenkoekenNL

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
Most of these such as Shin-chan are already available on the European Amazon Video.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:36 am Reply with quote
The "for" in your series of links in the opening sentence doesn't have a URL. Also, wouldn't it have been more appropriate (and simpler) to just put the Amazon links in list form...?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:39 am Reply with quote
It's not just the UK: The Great Passage, ViVid Strike!, and Chi's Sweet Adventure are all on Amazon Prime Canada as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're on EVERY Prime service except the US's right now.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
Oh so that's what is going on, they're just having issues. Meh works for me as long as they become available by this Spring I can wait.
smokeyjoey8

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:45 am Reply with quote
I hope Aniplex's existing license of Saekano 2 makes it exempt from the Noitamina Amazon deal. I don't want to have to wait even longer to watch it because Amazon didn't get around to actually releasing it. Nor do I want to download a rip of it.

I wonder if the reason they delay the US release is because they aren't getting enough viewers, and instead want to take a Netflix approach and wait to release it all at once, possibly with a dub. it also doesn't help that they don't show anywhere on the site that they have simulcast anime. You really have to dig deep to find it. You'd think they would have advertised Kabaneri and played up its Attack on Titan connection.
_Quasar_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
I half wondered if Amazon US had decided to get/wait for dubs.

Anyway I got to see both Scums Wish and Onihei on PrimeVideo Australia. Both were alright.

Now if only Netflix would do the same with its exclusive shows. All their stalling does is encourage people back to fansubs.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
Pretty funny that they omitted the US of all places, but at least people which are currently there will understand the frustration of geo blocking. Amazon finally seem to be getting serious again, although this whole scenario doesn't really make much sense.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
I recall last month there was a placeholder page for The Expanse before it was available (for more than a week, perhaps two) before it actually became available. Hopefully this means we will be able to view these series by the beginning of February. Hopefully they also won't do what they did with The Expanse where when the series did become available, it used a different page, while the non-working placeholder remained for a while.

Pepperidge wrote:
It's not just the UK: The Great Passage, ViVid Strike!, and Chi's Sweet Adventure are all on Amazon Prime Canada as well. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they're on EVERY Prime service except the US's right now.

How about the 3 Nanoha series?

_Quasar_ wrote:
I half wondered if Amazon US had decided to get/wait for dubs.

I had speculated about this before, but the inclusion of this season's two series seems to argue against it.

The first Nanoha series and A's also had existing Geneon dubs, although even as a person that prefers dubs, I would have to say they aren't that good. As an example, in the first series, they couldn't decide how to pronounce Arf's name, and Fate's VA sounded like she was performing while pinching her nose together.
CatSword

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
I hope Amazon US got enough complaints they'll make simulcasting their noitaminA shows a priority.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
^If they haven't yet they will now with them dangling in our faces.
Peebs

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
So. Those shows are finally on Amazon, but now I need to pay them more, on top of the yearly fee I pay them for Prime. I was really looking forward to The Great Passage and Onihei, but if I have to pay another fee, they can keep their anime. I'll go somewhere else.
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
I just went there and they want an additional subscription on top of their Prime subscription? Especially for a show that aired last season? Screw them. There's lots of other anime to watch at CR and Hulu and Netflix and even at Amazon. (Edit: Subscription is $5 a month or $60 a year.)
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
I just went there and they want an additional subscription on top of their Prime subscription? Especially for a show that aired last season? Screw them. There's lots of other anime to watch at CR and Hulu and Netflix and even at Amazon. (Edit: Subscription is $5 a month or $60 a year.)

This is what I am feeling. Like I would like more use out of my Amazon Prime but I don't want to pay and additional fee on top of it. This is super annoying, but I am not shocked seeing how Amazon has being making Prime less and less worth it. More and more food items become panty items and you have to pay pantry shipping. More and more video content isn't just part of the prime video but ad-ons. Same goes for the music service. At one point it looked like Amazon was going to really make Prime worth it but I think I am not going to renew it after this. Kind of disappointing but I can wait for my items and just group stuff together to get free shipping.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
epicwizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
It's about time that Amazon is streaming Shin-chan Spin-off Vol. 1 Ailens vs. Shinnosuke in the US.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2