• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Inaccuracies in Samurai Pizza Cats English cast list

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AVHodgson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Normally I would post a ton of error messages on that show's page, but when the whole damn thing is full of mistakes I think it's best to post here.

The English cast list for Samurai Pizza Cats (anime #1240) is downright inaccurate. There's been a lot of new information posted about who exactly played what recently - you can read it here (starting with reply 31).
mbanu

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:46 am Reply with quote
AVHodgson wrote:
Normally I would post a ton of error messages on that show's page, but when the whole damn thing is full of mistakes I think it's best to post here.

The English cast list for Samurai Pizza Cats (anime #1240) is downright inaccurate. There's been a lot of new information posted about who exactly played what recently - you can read it here (starting with reply 31).

I was a little confused over why there might be confusion over an English dub cast; it looks like the in-show credits don't credit the actors to particular characters.

Does the Discotek release have a complete credit list?

I've seen more detailed credits listed in paper sources, but without noting where their information is from. An example:

Encyclopedia of Television Shows, 1925 through 2010, 2nd ed., by Vincent Terrace wrote:
Voice Cast: Rick Jones (Speedy Cerviche); Sonja Ball (Polly Esther); Terrance Scamell (Jerry Atrick/Guido Anchovy); Dean Hagopian (Seymour "Big" Cheese); Pauline Little (Francine); Walter Massey (Guru Lou); Rick Jones (Bad Bird).

On the other forum, someone says they've contacted Terrence Scammell via LinkedIn to get more detailed info:

A-Log wrote:
I got in touch with Terrence Scammell on LinkedIn and asked him about the characters he voiced. Turns out we were way off on that, and here's the correct voices for the following:

Richard Dumont as Emperor Fred
Mark Camacho as Jerry Attric
Mark Hellman as Bat Cat and Cannonball Batterly
Michael Rudder as General Catton & Cosmo
Arthur Holden as Spritz T. Cat and Yard Bird

[. . .]

Sundance Pierre Paquette AKA Pierre Kohl
Cosmo Michael Rudder
Dee Dee Jane Woods
Abigail Jane Woods
Chester Arthur Holden
Lucinda Not 100% positive on this one. I would need to hear a longer sample to be sure. It might be Pauline, but I suspect that it's probably Liz MacRae.

[. . .]

Mark Hellman - Meowzma O'Toole
Liz MacRae - Princess Vi
Jane Woods - Mama Mutt, Empress Freida
Bronwen Mantel - Mutt Jr.
Arthur Holden - Bucky, I. Beam, Time Master
Michael Rudder - Wally, Big Frank, Fernando Curtenzuela
Pierre Lenoir - Prof. Ohm
Teddy Lee Dillon - Ohm Jr.

[. . .]

Ninja Crows: Arthur Holden and Mark Hellman
Carla Crow: "I don't know." (Personally, I still think she's voiced by Bronwen Mantel. Take a listen to the kid voices on the show, and you'll see what I mean. Terrence also accidentally calls her Carlo.)
Mojo Rojo: "I don't know." (Still odd, since it sounds like two different actors voiced the guy. So far, I've only found two episodes where the other Rude Noise members speak.)
Ronnie Guiseborn (not Guisemuller): Michael Rudder
The Professor: Mark Hellman. Terrence also states my earlier screw-up: "Michael O'Reilly didn't do any of the narration. I did the narration for the series, with the exception of the promo, which was done in LA." (I think he mistook what I meant about the Professor also being one of the narrators in the Japanese version.)
Great Warrior: "I did the Japanese sounding version, and Mark Helman is doing the other version." (In other words, Terrence Scammell in his first appearance, Mark Hellman in "The Great Comet Caper Part 2".)
Beeky Bickerson: Richard Dumont
News Seller: Arthur Holden
Cuckoo Bird: Arthur Holden
Seymor Jr. (from "Son of Big Cheese"): Bronwyn Mantel
Rufus T. Rhumboid (from "Big Cheese's I.Q. Corral"): Mark Hellman
Sylvia (from "Son of Big Cheese"): Jane Woods
Speedy Fan Girls (from "Those Transformin' Felines"): Both the voices were done by Jane Woods
Frogface (from "Kung Fu Kitty Contest"): Pierre Lenoir
Smiling Jack (from "Kung Fu Kitty Contest"): Rick Jones
Benny Bunny (from "Kung Fu Kitty Contest"): "Me." (Terrence Scammell)
Walkie Talkie: Richard Dumont (still surprised. Although, I can see why many confused Richard for Terrence, since certain characters sound alike.)
Capt. Nitro (from "Youth is For Exploding"): Richard Dumont
Puff Tart (from "Youth is For Exploding"): Patricia Rodriguez (still active, but currently lives in the UK. She also did voices for "Arthur".)
Crablo (from "Cold and Crabby in Little Tokyo"): Arthur Grosser (in other words, Bad Max with an Italian accent.)
Love Bot (from "All You Need is Love"): Susan Glover
Potted Pig (from "Close Encounters of the Pig Kind"): "I don't know." (Granted, since I could only get one intelligible line in there; the rest were just pig snorts. Could be Hellman as well.)
Ruthless (from "Big Cheese's I.Q. Corral"): Michael Rudder
Shell (from "Emperor Fred Does Hard Time"): Pier Kohl
Sunblock-16 (from "The Pizza Cats Are Only Human (Part 1)"): Mark Hellman
Monster Masher (from "Pizza Cats Performance Review"): Mark Hellman (nice job on the Boris Karloff impression, btw.)
AVHodgson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The Discotek release does not include any credit lists. (Whether they still exist, I don't know.)

From listening to the show, everything Terrence Scammell identified is pretty much correct (excepting Beaky Bickerson; I think it's Gordon Masten).

Saban's dubs from this period generally, if they listed the cast at all, only listed the main roles. Thus the confusion. The actors mentioned in the credits were the main roles, and with the lack of comprehensive credits or any identification of who played who it was easy for people to think they played every role on the show.

The voice actors' main roles, just to be precise, were:

Terrence Scammell: Guido Anchovy / Narrator
Rick Jones: Speedy Cerviche
Dean Hagopian: The Big Cheese
Michael O'Reilly: Bad Bird
Mark Camacho: Jerry Atric
A.J. Henderson: "Big" Al Dente
Sonja Ball: Polly Esther
Pauline Little: Francine
Susan Glover: Lucille
A-Log

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for updating the entry, guys. To AV, thanks for stating that Gordon Masten voiced a character on the show. Listening to his voice demo and the clip of Beaky I have, I can see where you're coming from. Do you think Gordon voiced any other characters on Pizza Cats? Getting back to Gordon's voice demo, I wouldn't be surprised if he also voiced a few Ninja Crows as well.

As for Carla, I'm still unsure if she's voiced by Bronwen Mantel, but in case it's not her, Jane Woods would've also been a close match.

Also got in contact with Harry Standjofski and Aron Tager. Harry hasn't stated which character he voiced, but according to Aron's manager, Tager voiced Chalie Bird (in "Singing Samurai Sensation") and Santa Claus (in "How the Big Cheese Stole Christmas").

I'm still thinking that other actors that were hired by Cinar were involved in the dub. I'd be surprised if someone as obscure as Rob Roy was involved.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1