• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dragon Ball Super

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:21 am Reply with quote
I did enjoy this episode (minus the underwhelming visuals) but most of super has been like that so a tired complaint I guess, but I really hope they use it as a way to re-introduce Gohan as a fighter otherwise it's just a tragic waste of his character and 2 episodes.
sharkjack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
The lack of destruction caused by the stuff shot at Krillin was a bit of a dealbreaker for me, especially because if he had just caught the shots it would have made more sense on multiple levels, and have been even easier to animate. It would've made Krillin look more competent, it would have not looked absolutely absurd to cut to the fully fine wall and furniture, and it would've made Gohans entrance more ironic, because he just broke everything Krillin worked so hard to keep intact.

Besides that, I absolutely adored this episode. There is just that little bit more to everything than it appeared on the surface (Barry has parallels with mr Satan that were nicely touched on for instnace), with multiple multifaceted dynamics going on at once, and it just feels so natural.

I am also a total sucker for Gohan and Videl just being adorable together, and Pan's face was just a delight.

I love that this gets more than one episode, and cannot wait for next week.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
The upcoming Survival Arc has Gohan in the line-up. Will he be able to participate when he's still the old-boring-geeky-kind Gohan and not the supposedly-strongest-Z-warrior? I won't lie, I'm a big Gohan fan, but come on DBS. If you won't transform Gohan into his old self, then please omit him on future episodes. It's just plainly frustrating to see Gohan becoming lamer and lamer.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that Barry Khan/Buu picking up chicks reference is a deep cut.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
The upcoming Survival Arc has Gohan in the line-up. Will he be able to participate when he's still the old-boring-geeky-kind Gohan and not the supposedly-strongest-Z-warrior? I won't lie, I'm a big Gohan fan, but come on DBS. If you won't transform Gohan into his old self, then please omit him on future episodes. It's just plainly frustrating to see Gohan becoming lamer and lamer.

Gohan's old self would technically be his whiny, weak willed, cry baby personality that he had in his first appearance....Gohan was never a fight happy blood knight ala Vegeta.
Lelouch Vi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:40 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Gohan's old self would technically be his whiny, weak willed, cry baby personality that he had in his first appearance....Gohan was never a fight happy blood knight ala Vegeta.

Gohan was literally a toddler then. A toddler who was kidnapped and forcefully taken nto the wilderness to train. There's nothing wrong with being a reluctant fighter but at least Gohan knew to fight when it mattered/he had too. Now it seems like he just doesn't care at all and it's detrimental to his character development because you would figure he would have learned after the fiasco with Buu to maintain his training
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
@LelouchVi But that's exactly it. He was forced to fight. Unlike Goku, Gohan never got to enjoy fighting as a child. While Goku practiced regularly under several different masters at his own volition, all while willingly taking part in Martial Arts Tournaments, Gohan was instead kidnapped by Raditz, then kidnapped by Piccolo to train. Until adulthood, every time he was called to fight it was to protect the earth or overthrow a maniacal tyrant.

Sure, he might enjoy fighting to some extent subconsciously, otherwise he wouldn't have participated in the Martial Arts Tournament when Babidi attacked, but it seems to me that settling down to be a family man makes a lot more sense than continuing to do something he doesn't enjoy. Additionally, Chichi's constant pushing for him to study comes from her wanting him to be able to make his own living as an adult, rather than living on prize money and handouts in the same way she does. He seems to agree, as he and Videl are humble people who won't take handouts from Mr.Satan, who I'm sure would be more than willing to help them out. Instead, Gohan continues to work and stopped training as hard until post-Black, where he seems to have had a realization that he won't be able to protect anyone if he continues to neglect his training.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:38 am Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:
@LelouchVi But that's exactly it. He was forced to fight. Unlike Goku, Gohan never got to enjoy fighting as a child. While Goku practiced regularly under several different masters at his own volition, all while willingly taking part in Martial Arts Tournaments, Gohan was instead kidnapped by Raditz, then kidnapped by Piccolo to train. Until adulthood, every time he was called to fight it was to protect the earth or overthrow a maniacal tyrant.

Sure, he might enjoy fighting to some extent subconsciously, otherwise he wouldn't have participated in the Martial Arts Tournament when Babidi attacked, but it seems to me that settling down to be a family man makes a lot more sense than continuing to do something he doesn't enjoy. Additionally, Chichi's constant pushing for him to study comes from her wanting him to be able to make his own living as an adult, rather than living on prize money and handouts in the same way she does. He seems to agree, as he and Videl are humble people who won't take handouts from Mr.Satan, who I'm sure would be more than willing to help them out. Instead, Gohan continues to work and stopped training as hard until post-Black, where he seems to have had a realization that he won't be able to protect anyone if he continues to neglect his training.

I agree with you. Gohan has *always* been a character that doesn't really care for fighting, and really only does so when he's pushed into a corner. This aspect of his personality was very present even during the Cell arc, which everyone likes to point at and say how awesome he was.

Thus, I would say his current state as a character is actually accurate. This is the life he wants, and has always wanted.

Besides, we've already seen Gohan get remotivated from getting his butt kicked in the return of Freeza arc. Sure, he didn't end up going to the tournament because of other obligations, but I do not feel like that scene where he wanted to train with Piccolo again was just there to end like that. And this goes to explain why he will take place in the next arc.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:42 am Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
I do not feel like that scene where he wanted to train with Piccolo again was just there to end like that. And this goes to explain why he will take place in the next arc.

I'm with you there too. There was also a shot when he found out that Goku and Vegeta had fought and lost against Black, who he hadn't even heard of until that point. The close up on his shocked face is very important, and led to his training with Piccolo. That, plus these two episodes are all leading to something bigger, imo.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:37 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Good point, but I didn't say I want him to be a war-freak. As aforementioned, Gohan was in the line-up to participate in the Survival arc so how can he fight there when he's still the Gohan who dons a tuxedo everyday? Unless we get to see some timeskip of at least a year or so, Gohan would just be another beaten fighter in the Survival arc and Gohan fans like myself would just prefer him to be omitted rather than losing another winnable fight.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Lelouch Vi wrote:
Now it seems like he just doesn't care at all and it's detrimental to his character development because you would figure he would have learned after the fiasco with Buu to maintain his training

Maintain his training that he never really valued to be prepared for unforeseen threats that his father is presently alive to deal with.

Saku-dono wrote:

Good point, but I didn't say I want him to be a war-freak. As aforementioned, Gohan was in the line-up to participate in the Survival arc so how can he fight there when he's still the Gohan who dons a tuxedo everyday? Unless we get to see some timeskip of at least a year or so, Gohan would just be another beaten fighter in the Survival arc and Gohan fans like myself would just prefer him to be omitted rather than losing another winnable fight.

Gohan losing winnable fights is no where near as bad as the number of winnable fights Goku and Vegeta have lost....and become infamous for.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

But Gohan doesn't even wear a tuxedo every day. He wears more casual clothes like a sweater.

Besides, what exactly is wrong with him like this? That he's showing a goofier side during the times where things aren't dire like all the other characters usually do? And he's been training with Piccolo since RoF. We don't really know much about how his current power level compares to back then. He don't know exactly what Barry with Watagash's power is in comparison to other threats, though Gohan was also able to take a ball thrown by Goku at super saiyan blue in his base form and only got some dirt on him like Champa seemed to notice.
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I have no doubts that this was my favorite episode of Super. The direction, animation and storyboarding was incredibly wonderful. I'm even surprised that an episode just two episodes away of the Universal arc was this well produced, it didn't have more than 3 AD and 5 first key animators.

The Goku vs Gohan was just amazing, very dynamic and well-animated. I kept rewatching it over and over. Everything this episode felt very inspired, honestly, from using that very dramatic shot of the heart in the cafe splitting up, to the shot ratio when Goku stops short of hitting Krillin (also that turtle suit was funny as hell).

From a writing standpoint, I think it's basically collecting back up the characters that will come back for the Universal Tournament, Gohan clearly can go toe to toe with normal SSJ Goku, and since Krillen and Muten Roshi will appear too, they clearly need to grow a little more backbone for the sake of the arc.
Marimo0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Krillin's main motivation to toughen up comes when No. 18 and their baby daughter, Marron, barrage Krillin with some weak-shaming comments in light of a bullet wound he received in his job as a police officer... This scene comes off as surprisingly morbid and bizarre, as it paints Krillin's family as a pair of judgmental soul suckers. This is probably just a representation of Krillin's point of view of their off-hand comments, likely to get flipped in the follow-up episode with some kind of lighthearted "Aw, we love you no matter what!" scene, but for now it feels shockingly twisted. "Oh, you got shot? Wimp."

I got the impression, at least with 18, that it was less about the bullet shot and more about Krillin's attitude about himself. He doesn't see himself as strong. He says he wouldn't give Goku a good workout, he brushes off his participation fighting Frieza's henchmen, and when him getting hurt by a bullet is pointed out he just accepts that as something that happens. It's not that he's weak in body, the real problem is that he's weak in spirit and confidence. And I think 18 is mainly being harsh as her type of tough love. She just wants him to feel motivated.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I feel like this episode is the completely opposite counterpoint to the previous two episode arc. Gohan finished his arc with Videl saying EXPLICITLY that Gohan needs to be "strongest" for his daughter. That even though he doesn't train, he WILL be "strongest" for her. Krillin's family wants to see him the same way. Yes "intellectually" 18 knows that Krillin is (and will be) weaker than Goku, but she doesn't want HIM to just accept that he's "weak". I do think its extra tough for Krillin because he has DIED so often, but it just seems like they want him to believe that he is the pillar of the family, even if (as you said) 18 can clearly kick his ass and is stronger.

All THAT said, I appreciate the episode for both the shoutouts to original DB and also because its clearly setting up for Krillin to play a role in the things to come, which I do think is to the good. I also just like checking in on Krillin+18 (and Gohan+Videl) because it is nice to see more "normal" married couples (as compared to Goku+Chichi and Vegeta+Bulma).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 40