• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Driver Who Played Pokémon Go Just Before Fatal Accident Found Guilty

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:54 am Reply with quote
Maybe he couldn't hear what was going on because he was playing music in his car. In which case we should scapegoat whatever music it was he was listening to because it would be clearly the music that was to blame and not the driver's inattentiveness.
zunderdog24

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:01 am Reply with quote
in other words pokemon go has nothing to do with this.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:26 am Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
You're kidding, right? Radio aren't to be blamed for causing distraction when the listener had the option to whether to listened or not to a particular music.
zunderdog24 wrote:
Of course, a gaming application should never be blamed for causing predicament in the first place when the user itself was negligent and were doing things that they aren't supposed to do while driving, especially.
leeoflittlefaith

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
Afezeria wrote:
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
You're kidding, right?

Yes. Yes I was.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:23 am Reply with quote
Well...The driver has no one to blame but himself for choosing to catch Pokémon while driving...
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 pm Reply with quote
It is hard to know if this sentence is justified or too lenient. A woman is dead.

But we have to know where the vehicles were located, and how the accident unfolded, which is not provided in this report.

I was hit by a Army Humvee in Oahu, several years ago, but they never knew that they hit me, until they saw my signals.

So it is quite believable that the crane driver never knew he hit the mini bike woman.

So I guess the court, decided this was more of an accident, where the driver was guilty by omission. Probably couldn't prove he was playing the game while driving.
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hope he rots in jails. If not, that his license is revoked forever.
People this negligent should never be allowed the control in a vehicle. Ever. There are literally thousands of tests out there which prove that any distraction, as little as it may be, will have an effect when driving a vehicle of any kind.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Can someone give me a picture of what a truck mounted crane is? I'm finding it hard to believe that he could not see a motorbike in front of him.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:
Hope he rots in jails. If not, that his license is revoked forever.
The article points out he won't rot at all if he keeps his nose clean for five years.
Megiddo wrote:
Can someone give me a picture of what a truck mounted crane is? I'm finding it hard to believe that he could not see a motorbike in front of him.
All I can find for the phrase are crane accessories for normal trucks, so there's no excuse for him not being able to see her.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but it could be feasible he didn't see her, or know that he had run her over.

In Japan, bicyclists and motorcycle riders on the road, typically drive like they own the road. If you drive a car, you are the one that has to watch out for them, and even if they are the ones responsible for the accident, you as the driver of the car will be found responsible for the accident.

Also, as a car driver, it will much better for you to drive your car into a tree, rather than hit a pedestrian, bicyclists, and motorcycle riders, even if they are the ones completely at fault for the accident. The police will hound you forever, and you still will probably be found at fault for the accident, for the logic that if you were not on the road, there wouldn't have been an accident.

As a car driver, always drive with full/maximum car insurance. Always.

I am not saying the mini bike rider was responsible, we will never know. We have to know how the accident unfolded, and that info will not be released.

But it could be feasible that the crane operator did not see her, or even know he had been in an accident, at first......
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
zunderdog24 wrote:
in other words pokemon go has nothing to do with this.

He testified he wasn't playing, and texting could have distracted a driver without a crane into a bad-consequenced fender-bump just as easily. His defense was that he didn't see the bike, and the remaining prosecution was that, well, he should have!

Japanese press just played up the fact that he was known to play Pokemon Go which made him a danger to the public, for the same reason that Mortal Kombat became the explanation for the Columbine shootings:
Must have been playing that caused it, see? Fandom isn't just a danger to our working public, it's a danger to life and limb on the streets! Rolling Eyes
Afezeria

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
leeoflittlefaith wrote:
I was.
Sorry, the internet is a bad section to acknowledge jokes and sarcasm, especially when it is operated by a noob like me.

The minibike that the victim rode might be too small for the truck driver to see, and if my guess are correct, a crane mounted truck or whatever it is that were driven is pretty huge and I see it a lot on the road here. This accident reminded me of what happened in this nation a long time ago when I was at least 12 years old. During a motivation campaign to reminded us the danger on the road and the importance of paying attention, they would show us a live video footage that depicted a slow motorcycle being rammed from behind by a huge lorry and they were going down the hill. Needless to say, the motorist died instantly and it was a really gory video despite being a bit blurry due to its age. Guess this is kinda the same situation because the trucker couldn't possibly see the motorcycle due to an immediate downhill track, albeit the trucker in this case was entirely at fault for being distracted. This man deserved the jail sentence even if its a bit lenient due to negligence alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1