• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: English Animator 'OtaKing' Previews 20-Min. Street Fighter Fan Film

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nyghtwynd

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Not even mentioning the awesome TIE Fighter short he did?
Love that one.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
How exactly does his animation look like 80s Anime? The colour is all wrong for a start(which seems to be a theme for wannabe Anime animators) and his character designs look bad Haruhiko Mikimoto knock offs.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Read Street Fighter fan film. Thought of Skeet Fighter.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
How exactly does his animation look like 80s Anime? The colour is all wrong for a start(which seems to be a theme for wannabe Anime animators) and his character designs look bad Haruhiko Mikimoto knock offs.

Huh? This particular video looks a lot like 80's anime, particularly some of the more schlocky outings like MD Geist or Fist of the North Star. His Star Wars video also does a great job recalling the Space Opera technology that a lot of sci-fi shows from the time period had. His muted pallets are on point, and the shading style also seems to be a callback to the era. Have you seen a lot of 80's anime...? This guy's design sense looks to be pretty accurate for the technology and visual look overall. The animation movement maybe isn't 100% there, considering he relies on CG for the backgrounds, but he does a really good job of capturing the aesthetic.
russ869

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
His character designs look bad Haruhiko Mikimoto knock offs.

That's exactly what I like about them.

Specifically it's the many layers of shadows and highlights that evoke the "80s OVA look."
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
His animation skills are fantastic.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I've loved all of Otaking's projects since his Doctor Who tribute animation (which is fantastic and a real love letter to fans of Doctor Who classica) so I'm giddy to see his work for Street Fighter here. Very Happy
MarshalBanana wrote:

This post reads like sour grapes. I'm not sure what you are trying to convey here, Banana, aside from the impression that all 80s tribute anime needs to follow your specific guidelines, which is silly.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Bison looked gloriously evil, Guile looked a bit off-model and his Sonic Boom was more powerful than in the videogame. I would love to see this expanded (to include Chun li) but I fear it is a matter of time before Capcom sends a cease & desist letter since he is making money out of this :/
Raz_G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:30 am Reply with quote
This guy's super talented - though I wish he'd start making his own projects rather than fan-films based on existing brands. Hey, I'd even be glad to see the animation departments of Marvel or DC hire him to do their next direct-to-BD project...
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
@Kikaioh
Maybe not as many as you, but I've seen a decent amount. The issue may well lie with the fact that he just takes bullet points, dark colours, lots of shading. The colours look like Flash, the overall designs looks more like a sprite from a Neo Geo game then what he claims to be going for. The backgrounds look exactly like backgrounds in a modern American cartoon then an Anime.How does this look anything like this http://www.rightstufanime.com/images/productImages/814131019486_anime-gunbuster-movie-altB.jpg
I honestly think Kabaneri pulled of the style a lot better https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5Y_hzNDiqLQ/maxresdefault.jpg and I don't even think they were trying to go for that OVA look.
The 80s may not be my favourite decade, but I do have respect for the shows from that time that I liked; Honneamise, Gunbuster, Dirty pair and Ridding Bean. So I am going to call out weak attempts at replicating that style. And what's worse is that people actual claim that this is how it should be done, there was an answerman sometime ago where they addressed why western animators can't get this style down.

Also he is a hypocrite for using CG, he claimed before that you should key aniamte everything.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
@Kikaioh
Maybe not as many as you, but I've seen a decent amount. The issue may well lie with the fact that he just takes bullet points, dark colours, lots of shading. The colours look like Flash, the overall designs looks more like a sprite from a Neo Geo game then what he claims to be going for. The backgrounds look exactly like backgrounds in a modern American cartoon then an Anime.How does this look anything like this http://www.rightstufanime.com/images/productImages/814131019486_anime-gunbuster-movie-altB.jpg
I honestly think Kabaneri pulled of the style a lot better https://i.ytimg.com/vi/5Y_hzNDiqLQ/maxresdefault.jpg and I don't even think they were trying to go for that OVA look.
The 80s may not be my favourite decade, but I do have respect for the shows from that time that I liked; Honneamise, Gunbuster, Dirty pair and Ridding Bean. So I am going to call out weak attempts at replicating that style. And what's worse is that people actual claim that this is how it should be done, there was an answerman sometime ago where they addressed why western animators can't get this style down.

Also he is a hypocrite for using CG, he claimed before that you should key aniamte everything.

Actually, I think you might want to look into a lot of the more schlocky, lesser-remembered but somewhat prolific titles from back in the day to get a sense for what action and sci-fi anime broadly looked like back in the 80's. Among the shows you mentioned watching, there were a number of high-profile artists (Haruhiko Mikimoto, Yoshiyuki Sadamoto and esp. Kenichi Sonoda), but their works weren't necessarily entirely representative of what the action/sci-fi scene was outputting back then, particularly when it comes to the more hardcore and sometimes ultra-violent sorts of genre pieces that were more popular in those days (and there was actually a broad variety of design styles that were popular back then too). I looked through my personal collection, and these were some of the 80's titles that I think are reminiscent of the styles that Otaking seems to be inspired by, that you might be interested to look into if you haven't seen them:

MD Geist, Fist of the North Star, Space Cobra, Golgo 13: The Professional, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, A Wind Named Amnesia, Orguss, Giant Gorg, Area 88, Odin: Photon Sailer Starlight, Fight! Iczer One, Vampire Hunter D, MD Geist, Violence Jack, Wicked City, They Were Eleven, Black Magic M-66, Madox-01, City Hunter, Demon City Shinjuku, Dominion Tank Police, Hades Project Zeorymer, Cybernetics Guardian, Garaga, Blood Reign, Shuten Doji

Not to mention, his version of Bison is very similar to the 94' version that appeared in the Street Fighter II movie, and also his take on Guile kind of looks like Polnareff from the 90's Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OVA:

His works capture the character design, coloring and shading that a lot of those older titles used to have. The overall look isn't exactly the same, since his works seems to be digital and in a comparatively much sharper resolution, but with some visual tweaks here and there, it's pretty similar as far as capturing the aesthetic goes.

I also wanted to mention, personally speaking, Kabaneri doesn't come across that much like an 80's anime, save for fact that the character designs are by Haruhiko Mikimoto, who was prolific back in the day.

The 80's weren't necessarily my favorite era either (I'm more of a mid-90's fan personally), but I do enjoy the camp/schlock that a lot of titles back then had.

More on the topic of Otaking's videos though, I think his works existing as non-profit fan productions/parody is understandable, but trying to make a living off of them I think is going over the line, at least if he's going to be making them based off of existing works like Street Fighter or Macross.
CrescentWolf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adore his TIE Fighter short film so I will be looking forward to this very much.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:08 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

Here's the thing: Is Otaking being asked to be taken as a serious animator for the purposes of standing in the same hall of fame as other famous Japanese animators of the 1980s? Is he asking for money and trying to pass himself off as a career animator who should be kowtowed to at all times? If the answer is no, then who cares? The man makes fan works for all to see and to appreciate. As long as the fans enjoy the final result, what difference does it honestly make?
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Ota's Doctor Who anime short was wonderful, Icant wait to see where he takes this.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:10 pm Reply with quote
@Kikaioh Yes that is a good point on character designs, I forgot that when people say 80s, they mostly mean late 80s early 90s. But I do generally believe that the colouring looks
nothing like what he says it looks like. It sort of looks like a really really early D.I.P show.
With Kabaneri, I feel the shading and colouring match what he talks about, as well as having a more organic look to the very plastic look his animation has.
@KabaKabaFruit
Patreon means he is asking for people to give him money. But it doesn't have anything to do with that really. He put something up, I said what I thought of it
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2