• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Anime Film Opens in Theaters in U.S., Canada on April 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
thank god there's gonna be a sub release. got worried for a second there.

They showed the film in LA for the Oscars last year in English and Japanese, so there's no reason they wouldn't do the same thing here.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Upon reading "English songs", I immediately had flashbacks of the recent Dragon Ball films Battle of Gods and Resurrection 'F'. But if RADWIMPS lead singer spent some time living in the US as a kid, then I have much more confidence in how the English songs will turn out.

Anyway, as long as the Japanese songs are untouched on the Japanese track, I'm happy to have English versions. (Another issue with those Dragon Ball films.)
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:43 pm Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
Does anybody know whether this is going to affect the date on which the Blu-Ray will be released in Japan? I hope they release it over here with RAW, because I sure as hell ain't watching a butchered version of the original before I watch the original.

EDIT: I fear at this rate that I will have to go to Japan to watch this film......

There are screenings for both the english dub with dubbed songs or the original audio with subtitles.

As this movie is a general family movie a dub is essential to break it out of the otaku audience and into the general movie going audience.

[Edit]: removed snark. Errinundra.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
It's nice to have a date at least. Even if it's later than I wanted, from how well it has done and what we've heard from those on this site who've seen it, it seems like it will be worth the wait.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Treeborn wrote:

He! Not with ANN reminding us how much money it makes every six seconds Anime hyper

Which is far less than they advertise if people actually did work to adjust for inflation.

If you want accurate representation of "popularity" of a film just look at how many tickets it sold. Keep in mind tickets for Sprited Away were more expensive than tickets for Your Name but your name has a higher attendance rate than Sprited Away.
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
@Ambimunch

What? Who cares about hype?

Oscar voters. Funimation did a Los Angeles premiere specifically to make the movie eligible for the 2016 Oscar nominations. As far as I know, foreign films have a two year window from their original release date. If Funimation knew that the wide (or wider than one theater) release in the US wouldn't take place till April 2017, they should have pushed off their qualifying screening till then. This is an unusually competitive year for the animated feature film category domestically, with two full length Disney productions (Moana and Zootopia), a Pixar movie (Finding Dory), two Illumination and Dreamworks films each, Kubo and the Two Strings from Laika, and some critically acclaimed foreign titles from Europe (including the Ghibli co-production The Red Turtle and My Life as a Zucchini). There might not be room on the nominations list for Your Name this year. I might be wrong about the timing (perhaps only films being considered for the Foreign Film category get the two year leeway?), but if Funimation had the chance to stretch out Your Name to 2017, they should have. The lack of buzz and opportunity to see the film in the states will hurt it a lot.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow, English version songs by RADWIMPS? I'd be interested in hearing those!

If you fly to Japan, you'd likely be able to watch the movie in-flight. It's still in theaters though if you'd like to watch on a bigger screen.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
@jojothepunisher

Did you even read the article? It's being released in Japanese with subtitles, too.

To be fair, I didn't read the article, but I also do not want my first viewing of a legendary film with subtitles.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:58 pm Reply with quote
^ Then, I don't know... go to Japan? I mean, you apparently don't want to watch the film in English, and I doubt they'd show it here in Japanese WITHOUT subtitles, so... Confused
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll have to mark my calendar. Very Happy Probably gonna see it subbed if possible.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Open limited in December, expand wide in April. Huh, I didn't know that was a tactic... Isn't it, open limited in December, expand wide in January to take advantage of Oscar buzz, like a lot of movies recently did this month? Seriously though, what are you doing FUNi? Your COO is a former Universal guy, he should know this.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-07-11/funimation-parent-hires-universal-studios-vp-as-executive-vp

I knew January was going to be impossible at this point, and I was hoping maybe February or March, but April? Ugh. Also worth noting, March/April are more crowded than February which is mostly dead because dump months.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2017-02-03&showweeks=4&p=.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2017-03-03&showweeks=5&p=.htm
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/schedule/?view=&release=&date=2017-04-07&showweeks=4&p=.htm

Though an anime movie has no shot of ever really winning BAF, the voters won't even watch it, unless it's Miyazaki. I recommend this series of articles to get an idea of how many vote.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/topic/brutally-honest-oscar-voter-ballot

I also recommend the last question in this old Answerman column.
animenewsnetwork.com/answerman/2013-11-08

BTW ANN, can you please stop saying "worldwide"? You're confusing people. Worldwide=Gross EVERYWHERE, including the market it came from. What you should be saying instead is "overseas", i.e., everywhere except Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ly000001

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
@Ambimunch

What? Who cares about hype? Are you saying you're not gonna see the film when it releases because the hype died down? Besides, RADWIMPS is dubbing their songs for the English Dub showings, so it's not all FUNi's fault.

I don't think RADWIMPS is the reason for the delay. They appear to have already finished their English versions of the songs, or at least will be by Jan. 28: https://twitter.com/kiminona_movie/status/821531570129379329
taster of pork

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, please screen it on a weekend. Anime cry
kenshin77

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Is it true that will screen "your name" for only one day? Why not make it a week-long screening in theaters?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
kenshin77 wrote:
Is it true that will screen "your name" for only one day? Why not make it a week-long screening in theaters?

It will almost certainly not be one day. That's just when it will start screening widely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3