• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Anime Film Opens in Theaters in U.S., Canada on April 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koinosuke

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Your Name is a very specifically Japanese film in an incredibly Japanese setting, with a story steeped in modern Japanese culture. Film buffs in general will prefer to see a movie like this in Japanese.Though I do agree that a good dub is necessary for this to have a chance at wide-spread appeal.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Looks like there's a version of the trailer with the English version of Zenzenzense up on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qeAZLyBNQI

Pretty cool. They're going to release the English version songs on a CD in Japan on February 22. It'll be available as a download release from the 27th of this month.
http://radwimps.jp/news/8937/

The movie will also be screened in Japan at select theaters with English subtitles and the English songs for a couple weeks starting January 28.
https://twitter.com/shinkai_works/status/821509935833829376
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
kenshin77 wrote:
Is it true that will screen "your name" for only one day? Why not make it a week-long screening in theaters?

It will almost certainly not be one day. That's just when it will start screening widely.

Yeah, it starts screening on April 7, which is a Friday. Fridays are competitive - they're when "real" movies start screening, whether they're artsy things or blockbusters. Funimation aiming for a Friday night suggests they're going for a real theatrical run of a week or more. Otherwise they'd probably do what they do with most of their theatrical releases - pick up a few unpopular (i.e. cheap) showtimes at night in the middle of the week, often Tuesday and Wednesday nights.

It's also interesting that "your name." is getting releases 1 week to the day after the live-action Ghost in the Shell (which premieres 3/31). Suggests that companies are pushing anime-related films toward more in-demand times of the year.
roxybudgy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
EDIT: I fear at this rate that I will have to go to Japan to watch this film......

Should've come to Australia last year in November, I watched the dub version with my brother, it was awesome Very Happy

The encyclopedia entry doesn't seem to mention the Australian premiere date, it was 24 November 2016 (http://yournamefilm.com.au/)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Michael Nathanael T.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Funimation also revealed that the band RADWIMPS is creating all-new English-language versions of the songs it produced for the original film that will be featured in the English-dubbed version of the film.

I think the original version of the song is much better than an English remake. Because it just won't synchronize well with the movie itself. Well this is solely my opinion alone. If Americans like it better with English song, I won't be complaining.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:34 am Reply with quote
I'm already expecting to be disappointed when your name doesn't get nominated for Best Animated Feature. Now I can be even further let down when it doesn't get screened in my city. Woo hoo.
Tsumikisan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
I'm already expecting to be disappointed when your name doesn't get nominated for Best Animated Feature. Now I can be even further let down when it doesn't get screened in my city. Woo hoo.

Haha same. I was lucky with the screening of Princess Mononoke and One Piece, but for the most part Funimation films are almost never screened here. So I'm excited but keeping low expectations.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:29 pm Reply with quote
^Let's just say I'm glad I'm living in Northern Virginia now. I was in the Philadelphia area until May of last year and after the first two Madoka films, the area was passed over in every anime film run. Where I'm at now gets every one so far, though I've only seen Kizu. I'm reasonably certain I'll have a theater near me. But I know how much it sucks not to have that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3