• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - Chinamation

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animedude35

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:37 am Reply with quote
Wow, very interesting read. After looking at the "highlights" I'm glad they pulled the plug before I would have to burn my eyes and rip my ears out if I had to watch a full episode of Chinamation.

This should stay rare and should never see the light of day Razz
NGE1113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:57 am Reply with quote
I distinctly remember this whole debacle. I still have vivid flashbacks of seeing the ads in Anime Invasion (now Insider), and perhaps NewType USA (I'm not completely sure about that). The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw these ads: "What the heck are they [Playhut] trying to do, and who are they trying to fool?"

Animedude35 wrote:
This should stay rare and should never see the light of day

Very true. Some things are best left forgotten.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:20 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
I distinctly remember this whole debacle. I still have vivid flashbacks of seeing the ads in Anime Invasion (now Insider), and perhaps NewType USA (I'm not completely sure about that). The first thing that crossed my mind when I saw these ads: "What the heck are they [Playhut] trying to do, and who are they trying to fool?"

Same here. The moment I saw that box art I was very certain that I had seen it in an English anime magazine. I'll see if I can dig that one up in my magazine piles...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:18 am Reply with quote
This article proves that China can't do certain things right. Case in point: http://www.somethingawful.com/d/movie-reviews/dragon-ball-magic.php
|

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote

Last edited by | on Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:38 am Reply with quote
NGE1113 wrote:
and perhaps NewType USA (I'm not completely sure about that)

I am 100% certain it was in NTUSA, though I don't have my issues with me to find the exact placement. Maybe through most of last year's issues? Or was it the year before that? Either way, I never knew it would appear once again under "Buried Garbage."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vickeyv

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:09 am Reply with quote
well i dont know about you guys but i sort of like the Ways of the Warrior Chinamation. The music is really good and the character designs are good are well. Yes, the show uses every minimalistic animation technique in the book but kids wont really notice its i guess so its ok for its age group.
RadicaLElly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:18 am Reply with quote
I too recall having seen these advertised in various anime magazines. I remember seeing them and thinking to myself just from the pictures that they looked like cheap anime knock-offs, but I didn't think it'd be quite this bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:34 am Reply with quote
I remember the 'Way of the Warrior' ads too- although now I'm glad I was never enticed to buy! Good lord, that wasn't even entertainingly bad like Garzey's Wing, it was just regular bad! Laughing

That 'Mighty Bunch' kid sounds really familiar to me. It's gonna bug me until I remember who else I've heard that voice from... definitely something on TV, for some reason I think I remember computer-related dialog...
Walker-san

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote
This is too frickin awesome to put in words.

Absolute win, all the way!
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote
For information on a bit more upscale Chinese animation, see Chapter 1 "Animation in China", by David Ehrlich with Tianyi Jin, in:

• Lent, John A. (ed.) Animation in Asia and the Pacific. Bloomington, Indiana: Indiana University Press, 2001. ISBN 1864620366, 0253340357.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote
From the video highlights I suppose it's safe to assume that Bird Island is less of an island and more of a vague, purple expanse of space. Amazing and terrifying!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rei Sentoki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote
Is the "incident" at 01:52 a demonstration of the ancient Chinese healing art of Leporidae proctology?
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

That 'Mighty Bunch' kid sounds really familiar to me. It's gonna bug me until I remember who else I've heard that voice from... definitely something on TV, for some reason I think I remember computer-related dialog...

It's Mona Marshall who voiced computer nerd Izzy from Digimon, whom I'm guessing is what you're thinking of.

I've never heard such inspired dialogue as that found in DeCheng.
"Get him!"
"Climb up there!"
"Hit him in the head!"
JackCox

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:38 am Reply with quote
LOL, I'm an english dub fan, but Jesus H. Christ this is fricking awful, It's so bad it's good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4