• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Film to Play on 200 N. American Screens & in Japan in English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eXtacy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
So after taking 6 months to get it released in America when the UK & Australia got it much earlier Funimation only manage a minuscule 200+ theaters. Its the biggest anime film of all time worldwide so this seems like a major failure on their part. Also with a single theater Oscar run probably ruined its chances there, you need a little more exposure than that to get recognized. Obviously they don't know how to handle theatrical releases.
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
I got really nervous when I seen English dubbed songs but then seen it was by the original song creator and now I'm excited. Hmm only dubbed song I can think of off the top of my head that I liked was Binks sake on one piece.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:10 am Reply with quote
Uh compared to the average anime film theater run, it is rather large. Kizumonogatari and the Girls und Panzer movies both had 33 theaters. It is under half Shin Godzilla's though. 200 doesn't seem miniscule unless you compare it to domestic movie theater runs, which is not realistic.
Freakmasta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 am Reply with quote
For an anime film, 200 is pretty big. Funimation is no Warner Bros. They don't have that much money to send to thousands of theaters nationwide. And to apply for the Oscars, the film just needed to be shown for a week to qualify. It's not the number of ticket sales. So don't worry about this film. It's getting a lot of attention, ESPECIALLY for an anime film.
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
eXtacy wrote:
So after taking 6 months to get it released in America when the UK & Australia got it much earlier Funimation only manage a minuscule 200+ theaters. Its the biggest anime film of all time worldwide so this seems like a major failure on their part. Also with a single theater Oscar run probably ruined its chances there, you need a little more exposure than that to get recognized. Obviously they don't know how to handle theatrical releases.

To be fair, not many anime films open at more than 200 theaters, and if you exclude the first 4 Pokémon films (the 4th opened at 249, the 5th started at 196), the 1st (sort of) Yu-Gi-Oh! movie, the Digimon movie, and Ponyo and Arrietty, the largest first week of release goes to either Digimon Adventure Tri Part 1 or the Yo-kai Watch movie with only around 300 theaters each followed by DBZ: Resurrection F at 183. Plus, movies that are cultural phenomenons back in their home countries don't typically translate to a big release over in the US given how The Mermaid, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (the Swedish one plus its sequels), and The Intouchables only hovered around 200 theaters at their widest releases and The Mermaid and The Intouchables even had major distributors behind them (Sony and Weinstein, respectively).

(list of most anime films released in the US with their box office and opening and widest theater counts)
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=anime.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kyjin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote
If any band is gonna do an English version, I'm not surprised it's RADWIMPS. I've been a fan of the band for years, and they always have a mix of English and Japanese songs on their albums. Smile Really excited to hear the full English version.

Also pumped that they're going to offered subtitled screenings in Japan! I've seen the movie twice already in theaters here in Shinjuku, but I have friends who live here who'd prefer to have some English assistance in watching the film. I'm hoping this means they'll have the subtitles on the Bluray release too so I can show it to my friends once I purchase it!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Morry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:48 am Reply with quote
Is it weird it's in English and I still can't understand the lyrics? Laughing
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:21 am Reply with quote
Wonder what the show times will be. I'd be interested in catching it after work if tickets are available.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:04 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm not a fan honestly.

I didn't get around to seeing the dubbed version of Your Name in theaters. I don't know what it was like in the UK but in Australia they were ridiculously low in number. I could go to my local cinema to watch it subtitled, but I had to go all the way to some middle of nowhere suburb near Sydney to watch the dub. It's the exact opposite issue that DBZ Resurrection F had (Not that I'd ever go see that subtitled).

I had always intended to watch it in Japanese first (Plus the friend I saw it with prefers watching anime in Japanese) but I still want to watch it dubbed eventually. So I hope that when the Blu-ray comes out here the the Japanese songs are left intact. Best case scenario would be two English audio tracks so I can look at the English songs out of curiosity without the awesome music being tarnished by gibberish lyrics whenever I watch the dub. But I'm not holding my breath
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Well that cool 200 screens but I know this it wont be anywhere nere where I am
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1