• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Geneon Titles that will disappear forever!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Well they've changed their name before.... Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:04 am Reply with quote
Veggie-Trunks wrote:
Exactly. ADV is a really good company. Viz and Tokyopop rule the manga world however. Dark Horse is definitely worth checking out though.

If Dark Horse can ever get a flipping title out on time. Rolling Eyes I have never dealt with a company, manga wise, who regularly as the sun rises is late with releases.
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote
Just a quick update. These titles are already unavailable at amazon, so you might want to pick them up if you want them and see them at a local store:

Fate/Stay Night 5
Black Lagoon 2
Paradise Kiss 3

So begins the list of Geneon hard to finds for those who have procrastinated to picking up Geneon OOP titles. Many other titles are not in stock at amazon, but I believe their affiliates have some in stock since they have the various expected shipping times. I've already heard a few people mention that it's getting harder to find other volumes of Fate/Stay Night as well. So far only popular titles seem to be at risk, while those that are highest of risk of not being picked up (like Master Keaton) are still available.
abominaSion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
I have the whole series of r o d the tv on my Tivo, u know from the G4-Techtv days back when they aired Anime unleashed.I simply love the series and haven't had the chance to purchase the dvd's
Are they available? or Should I just stay leave it on my tivo.
thats the only series I have on my tivo, other then that I just have the latest aired episodes of a series.
archaron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Its about $80 through rightstuf.com for the bundle.

here the link:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/PWClj3Nk8WwfIt4lFG/browse/item/71846/4/618/0
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:01 pm Reply with quote
The R.O.D. DVDs are really worth it. The liner notes have great interviews with the staff. The DVDs are also anamorphic and encoded 5.1 in both languages which is a real advantage over the G4 broadcast.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:08 pm Reply with quote
In my state Fate/Stay Nights are still easy to find. Maybe not volume 2 (still easily found, just not all over the place) or other earlier volumes. But Fate 3-6 is still all over. Fate 5 in particular is the most plentiful, whereas in other places people report that Fate 5 became the most rare. In one Suncoast here I counted 20+ copies of Fate 5 on the shelf.

Another interesting thing I learned about the current availability of Geneon titles is that it's NOT true that "whatever is on the shelf is all that there is". At my local Suncoast I bought the newly-released Popotan boxset on 10/9/07 (after the supposed "no new orders will be accepted"). And several weeks later, a new one promptly arrived in Suncoast's regular anime shipments, to replace the one I bought.

So in other words, that means that Suncoast, Best Buy, etc...they probably still have a cache of Geneon products in their main warehouse/base or whatever, and so Geneon products both new and old may still newly arrive from there, if they remain in the warehouse.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Porcupine wrote:
In my state Fate/Stay Nights are still easy to find. Maybe not volume 2 (still easily found, just not all over the place) or other earlier volumes. But Fate 3-6 is still all over. Fate 5 in particular is the most plentiful, whereas in other places people report that Fate 5 became the most rare. In one Suncoast here I counted 20+ copies of Fate 5 on the shelf.

Another interesting thing I learned about the current availability of Geneon titles is that it's NOT true that "whatever is on the shelf is all that there is". At my local Suncoast I bought the newly-released Popotan boxset on 10/9/07 (after the supposed "no new orders will be accepted"). And several weeks later, a new one promptly arrived in Suncoast's regular anime shipments, to replace the one I bought.

So in other words, that means that Suncoast, Best Buy, etc...they probably still have a cache of Geneon products in their main warehouse/base or whatever, and so Geneon products both new and old may still newly arrive from there, if they remain in the warehouse.

Well the cutoff date was November 6th and it's not November quite yet.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:04 pm Reply with quote
archaron wrote:
Its about $80 through rightstuf.com for the bundle.

here the link:
http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/PWClj3Nk8WwfIt4lFG/browse/item/71846/4/618/0
Damn that's a good price, I think I paid around $200 for the series and OVA when it came out. AnimeNation had [url=]this[/url] to say about availability of Geneon titles: [quotehttp://www.animenation.com/geneon.html]Geneon DVDs Going Out of Print
pad
Geneon USA has officially stopped producing and distributing its anime DVDs in America. DVDs scheduled for release up until November 6th will be released, but products that were due out after November 6th will not be released. Furthermore, the Geneon anime DVDs and CDs that are available now are all that will ever be available.

Geneon anime titles including classics like Tenchi Muyo, Chobits, Fushigi Yuugi, Hellsing, Last Exile, and Trigun, and popular new titles like Fate/Stay Night, Shana, and Ergo Proxy are now in limited supply. Add these outstanding series to your collection now while you can! AnimeNation will be able to fill orders for all Geneon titles in the foreseeable future, so order with confidence. However, supplies are now limited, and all orders will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.

We do expect that a number of Geneon's anime series will eventually be re-released or continued by other American anime distributors, but no one knows for certain yet what will happen to Geneon's current continuing series and its completed catalog titles. You can trust AnimeNation to keep you informed of the latest changes and updates on this situation as it happens.[/quote] Luckily I've got all the popular old titles they mentioned, but I guess getting FSN, Shana, and EP in the future may prove difficult. But at least their obscure unpopular niche series will probably be available for awhile.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer, well I was referring to some earlier press release where it was stated that "No new orders would be accepted for any Geneon titles after XXX date". I cannot remember the XXX date but it was long ago, like in late September. The November cutoff refers to titles with release dates after that being canceled completely, which is not the same thing I was talking about.

New Geneon titles continue to be released, but supposedly "What appears on the shelf is all that there is" according to certain people (such as certain local Suncoast employees). What I was noting is that -- that statement is NOT true. Because I bought some recently released Geneon Popotan boxset in October, causing it to disappear from the shelves, but several weeks later Suncoast got some more to replace what I bought. It means that there is still a "reservoir" of Geneon products in some Suncoast warehouse, Best Buy warehouse, etc....and so people may not necessarily need to worry that whatever they currently "see" in real life is all that there is. For now, anyway.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I'd just like to add that Suncoast (while having a nice selection and usually being useful to order things they didn't have on hand easily) didn't really seem to ever have their s*** togather, to use a crude phrase, so it wouldn't surprise me. (The anime section in particular was always disordered and unalphabetized with things like Neon Genesis Evangellion being filed under both E and N, offen with hentai mixed in at random) Which is one of the reasons I don't really miss it now that they closed all their locations in my area after the parent company had financial trouble a few years ago. The other being the fact that everything was so overpriced.
Porcupine

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
In their defense, Suncoast and Sam Goody and related chain stores totally changed after their parent company closed down a few years ago. I often see people claiming that this was the beginning of the anime industry recession. But at least in my state, the opposite was true. When Suncoast and Sam Goody closed down was exactly when the anime industry boomed over here. Because these stores immediately reappeared with new management and with much better business practices in general. Prices became very low (lower than Best Buy at first), often with frequent sales added on top of that, everything was organized better, and the employees were all-different and in general far better organized (still not close to perfect, but a huge improvement) and better informed. So all these stores became really successful, and they deserved to be.

Right now though they are probably about to hit an anime recession along with everyone else, due to circumstances beyond their control.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9