• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Afro Samurai Creator Takashi Okazaki Confirms Sequel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quote
Yeah!! This should be interesting
miji

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
That's great news Smile . Thought the first Afro was a lot of fun, and super kick butt!
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote
sounds like good news to me. sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:15 pm Reply with quote
The more Sam Jackson, the better Anime catgrin.
zeno99

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Lets hope the sequel will be more than a generic revenge story.
Aresef

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quote
But will there be snakes?
matticans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is good news. I really enjoyed the first series and always wished it was longer. Anyone else feel the way Okazaki explained the sequal made it sound a little kenshin-ish. I don't mind though.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Samuel L. Jackson is coming back, right?

If so, I can see this airing on Spike again.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:11 pm Reply with quote
This is good news. Hopefully there will be more episodes and the plot is expanded further. Hopefully, Samuel L. Jackson will reprise his role and the RZA will be brought back to do the music.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:58 am Reply with quote
Early 2008? That's pretty quick release. Will it be in English first? I still don't know if Afro Samurai 1 was actually animated for English voices, or just that the English dub got first dibs are doing voicework for the Japanese lip-synced animation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aresef

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:54 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
Early 2008? That's pretty quick release. Will it be in English first? I still don't know if Afro Samurai 1 was actually animated for English voices, or just that the English dub got first dibs are doing voicework for the Japanese lip-synced animation.

It was animated for English.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Of course Samuel L. Jackson is coming back!
If it wasn't for him, the project wouldn't have gotten off the ground in the first place! Laughing

Quote:

“Back when I was working as an illustrator,” continues Okazaki, “I met a guy from the animation company Gonzo and gave him an Afro doll. He thought [it] was cool, but said my style of drawing isn’t popular in Japan, so we should work on something else. But then a guy from Gonzo US came to the Tokyo office, saw my Afro toy, and thought ‘Wow!’ So I met him, and he suggested we make an animation for America. That was 6 or 7 years ago, but we couldn’t move forward for years. We would talk about it over a drink but nothing happened.”

Eventually, a pilot anime was made and taken to the US, and one day the people at Gonzo got an unexpected phone call—from Jackson. The Oscar-nominated actor had somehow seen the pilot and loved Afro. “That character is mine!” he told Gonzo, and threw his star power behind the project, becoming executive producer. “Once Samuel was on board,” Okazaki recalls, “everyone wanted to give us money.”

The artist was flown to LA to have a meeting with the star. “The first time I met Samuel was about two years ago at his office in LA. I couldn’t believe it. I was really nervous, but he was wearing a Star Wars: Episode II cap and a Lone Wolf and Cub T-shirt,” Okazaki says, obviously impressed. “I thought ‘Wow! He really understands my concept.’ I was surprised; he is definitely an otaku.”
Sky-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I LUV AFRO SAMURAI =) i bought the director's cut dvd about a month ago... i made all my friendz watch it, they all loved it... i hope Ninja Ninja returnz in the sequel... my friend wuz sayin like, how can Ninja Ninja return if he died & shit rite.... but hez just Afro Samurai's imaginary friend, how can an imaginary friend die? LOL
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Cool.

Afro Samurai was decent. It was way too short and lacking on plot to be at all memorable, but it was pretty cool to watch 5 episodes of almost non-stop graphic violence.
DClark

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:33 am Reply with quote
I didn't hold the lack of a complex plot against Afro Samurai because as I was watching it became very evident that the concept was a kind of like the pagoda in Bruce Lee's 'Game of Death' where Bruce Lee fights one guy, advances to the next level and fights another guy, etc.. In Afro Samurai there's a guy on the top of the mountain that Afro Samurai wants to get to, so he has to go through the enemies trying to block his way.

It's a very simple plot, but sometimes simple works and for Afro Samurai it worked very well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2