• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Maiden Japan to Release Wandaba Style Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Is Wandaba Style a big deal anime? I have never even heard about it. In regards to the rest of Sentai's May slate, I am impressed that they are doing two LE releases in a single months. It seems to me that Sentai is doing at least one special release each month going forward. I wish Funmation was more interested in doing more releases fancier than their regular LE's.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:18 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Is Wandaba Style a big deal anime? I have never even heard about it.
No, it was never a big deal. It was one of those marginal, B-or-C-level titles that got released at the height of the DVD boom because companies were licensing (and dubbing!) practically everything they got their hands on, or at least everything the Japanese companies made them pick up as package deals to get the A-level titles. Wandaba style probably wouldn't get dubbed if it were released today.

Still, it is somewhat enjoyable, and the dub is amusing enough, so it's not a bad buy if you can get it for cheap. As I did when the singles were getting liquidated by one of TRSI's 10 for $50, 25 for $100 sales roughly a decade ago.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Compared to A-List titles this would be a D or E list title. It is basically seriously dumb humor. I bought it and gave up trying to watch after four or five episodes. Don't waste your time or money.

The current announcement makes me wonder just how well Maiden Japan is doing. This is seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Compared to A-List titles this would be a D or E list title. It is basically seriously dumb humor. I bought it and gave up trying to watch after four or five episodes. Don't waste your time or money.

The current announcement makes me wonder just how well Maiden Japan is doing. This is seriously scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The title was most likely a throw-in for when lincensing some other show.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Now here's a series I never thought would ever get a relicensing job. Laughing
fathergoat

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Now here's a series I never thought would ever get a relicensing job. Laughing

seriously. they were liquidating the box set for $10 just a few years ago. for those who are curious the first 4 episodes are kinda fun and stupid. then it just repeats it's self for the next 8. if you're really curious I would not pay more than $15 for the set and even that's a stretch. D list anime all the way.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well that's Maiden Japan's deal, Sentai licenses out stuff nobody else would typically dare. Now we have...this, earlier we got amazing stuff like a newly dubbed! Dennou Coil, so better luck next time I guess.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

They probably had the license and/or materials sitting around in the vault from the ADV days, or were able to re-license it on the cheap. Though this would be a second renewal, if the 7-year average licensing period holds true.

Interestingly enough, nobody bothered to fansub Wandaba Style beyond the third episode (ADV announced the license during the Japanese broadcast, and there was some adherence to the whole "not fansubbing licensed material" ethos back then), so if it sold poorly during the initial release back in 2005, pre-R1-release piracy wasn't to blame.
MoonPhase1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
I remember the 1st Volume had some pretty funny DVD Extras.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:27 am Reply with quote
@Zalis116

My comment on how well Maiden Japan was doing was in part because I hadn't seen anything from them for awhile. I just checked and, unless I missed something, their last offering came out in September. An eight month hiatus broken by this little gem is not a very compelling release schedule.
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed Wandaba Style. For me it was a fun and funny show.
I have watched it three times and hope to watch it again.
It is mostly just silly comedy, but I like that.

I just saw the solicitation for this in the Retail forum, and much as I do like the show I would not recommend paying $40 for it.
Right Stuf will probably have it for $30 which, I think, would be marginal. If you wait for a studio sale and get it for $24 then I think that it would be worth it, if your tastes in humor are similar to mine.

Fortunately for me I already own Wandaba Style.

MoonPhase1 wrote:

I think that you are right about that, and it looks like the new release does have those extras.
If I recall correctly the commentaries and outtakes are mostly for the dub audience, which is good for me but may not be for some people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

I'm glad to see someone else liked this show. I tend to gravitate towards goofy older shows like Nuku-Nuku and Trouble Choclate. The dub is surprisingly good and every episode had something for me to laugh at.

I ended up getting this in bundle with Yumeria for like 20 dollars. Wandaba Style was worth it but I never want to put myself through watching a terrible show like Yumeria again.
fathergoat

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I swear rightstuf had the thin pak for $20 just yesterday but now they just have the other version for $30. both were the ADV release

Touma wrote:

I just saw the solicitation for this in the Retail forum, and much as I do like the show I would not recommend paying $40 for it.
Right Stuf will probably have it for $30 which, I think, would be marginal. If you wait for a studio sale and get it for $24 then I think that it would be worth it, if your tastes in humor are similar to mine.

Fortunately for me I already own Wandaba Style.

MoonPhase1 wrote:

I think that you are right about that, and it looks like the new release does have those extras.
If I recall correctly the commentaries and outtakes are mostly for the dub audience, which is good for me but may not be for some people.
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:17 am Reply with quote
I bought this is rightstuf's holiday sale in 2015 for dirt cheap, I think like 8-10 bucks. Not worth the watch in my opinion. The plot is thin and the comedy wasn't for me, but if you like that kind of thing you might enjoy it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1