• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sailor Moon Crystal Anime Gets Sequel

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The transfer will be an high-definition "upconversion" of the standard-definition material.

Basically confirming that it's the same upscale that aired on NHK HD a few years ago.

But back on topic...

Best manga arc confirmed (and also the SuperS killer), looking forward to it. Very Happy
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:31 am Reply with quote
Incredibly hyped. Dream is my favorite of the manga arcs, and one of the ones most in need of the Crystal treatment. The amount of differences between SuperS and the Dream arc are so vast, it's practically an entirely different story with the same characters. We missed out on so many awesome things. Finally getting to see those moments brought to life in anime form will be a dream come true.

Hopefully there won't be much of a staff shake-up this time around. I feel Crystal started to hit its groove last season, so I'd hate to see much of the current staff get replaced.
tootbrush

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:02 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
I feel Crystal started to hit its groove last season

I wonder where this narrative is coming from. The 3rd season may have had more consistent animation (and lack thereof), but it still had the same flaw as the first two: being too faithful to the manga. During Crystal it became quite clear to me that Takeuchi may have the ideas, but she's a bad writer. The characters and relationships need fleshing out beyond what's in the manga (a la the 90s anime).
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:15 am Reply with quote
In the name of the moon, I'll BD you with the original series and more crystal.
1dbad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:16 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
I wonder where this narrative is coming from. The 3rd season may have had more consistent animation (and lack thereof), but it still had the same flaw as the first two: being too faithful to the manga. During Crystal it became quite clear to me that Takeuchi may have the ideas, but she's a bad writer. The characters and relationships need fleshing out beyond what's in the manga (a la the 90s anime).

I don't disagree, but that's never what Crystal set out to do to begin with. Crystal isn't seeking to flesh out or improve anything - it's merely giving us an anime adaptation that sticks to the manga as closely as possible. That's all that was promised, and for better or worse, that is what they've been delivering. The reason I felt there was improvement is because the 3rd season didn't make any of the questionable changes the first two seasons did. (making the Kings in love with the Inners, getting rid of the Inners moments of glory, etc.) The manga may not be perfect, but if the anime staff is going to make changes like that, I'd rather them not make any at all.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:25 am Reply with quote
1dbad wrote:
The manga may not be perfect, but if the anime staff is going to make changes like that, I'd rather them not make any at all.

Except Stars needs some changes because it was crap in both 90s anime AND the manga.
kasumicc

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:27 am Reply with quote
tootbrush wrote:
1dbad wrote:
I feel Crystal started to hit its groove last season

I won't deny the manga problems (I've maintained for many years that it's not as good as some people claim it to be - - 90's anime is better in the end). But Crystal Season 3 is still a step over the first two seasons, that's undeniable. While the first two were basically a colored manga, Season 3 tried to spice things up by adding some small, original character-driven scenes. Most leaned to comedy, but they still provided more substance and characterization than what the manga ever had; it's subtle, but it's there. It's not perfect, and it doesn't solve the problem the other problems the manga has... but if they're going to borrow the manga ideas (which are admittedly good) I would rather for them to do it in Season 3 style over a straight adaptation any other day.
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:49 am Reply with quote
It's not even as much of the manga's problem (it sort of works for the medium), but how such a stiff, faithful adaptation feels off and empty for the anime. You can literally feel how all they're doing is animating x and y instead of making the anime enjoyable.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Hooray for those who love the faithful adaptation!!!!!!!!
But the mayority should agree that the 90´s is the best version. Naoko Takeuchi may be supervising the reboot to be "more accurate to the manga", but if this reboot doesn´t prove to be entertaining instead of cliche, I´ll watch the 90´s series.
I may not have much memory about it, but after watching the ANN´s reviews on the 90´s one, sounds more profound. Crystal instead feels like a cliche and not very original magical girls series in a realm where we have better options.
That´s why faithful adaptations are only to fulfill manga reader´s expectations, instead of making a good series by including changes in adaptation, and create a series for everyone.
Adv193

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:17 am Reply with quote
Happy to see the news. Basically after watching Crystal it helped me understand that the obvious truth is that the reason this is so different from the first anime, is aside from the first anime using the Monster-of-the-week formula, it was obviously aimed for younger audiences than the original manga by watering it down and changing the character's personalities for that.

But at least I am happy to have watched both and I hope the story in Crystal end it's run.
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
I hope this BD release is better than the one Viz released and has english subs and is region free.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
Hope the next season keep the momentum of better quality going. With the exception of a handful of episodes, the first two seasons were pretty bad. The last fight with Queen Beryl in Crystal was total garbage compared to the 90's version.
SuperS was my least favorite season (thanks Chibi-usa! ). I look forward to seeing a different version of it. Maybe I'll actually enjoy Crystals adaptation.
AsuraTheDestructor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:57 am Reply with quote
Honestly, the one way Sailor Moon Crystal should have improved in was the fight scenes.

Instead of spamming Magic and Finishing moves, the senshi should have gained Martial arts prowess like Pretty Cure, then save the finisher for last.

It's why I prefer Pretty Cure over Sailor Moon nowadays.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
So kind of looking forward to this? Season 3 was a massive improvement over the first two Crystal seasons, but it was going up against my most beloved of Classic's arcs, so it basically had no chance there. (And I admit that I had some serious beef against the quasi-love-triangle it tossed in.) But I detested Classic's take on the Dream arc and actually enjoyed it in the manga (a far less obnoxious Chibi-Usa helped things immensely). Plus, the Classic version has some really unsettling (and probably intentional) parallels to sexual violence that really dampens my enjoyment on a rewatch, so yeah. Fingers crossed for a strong production team this time around as well.

EDIT: Oh, and for the love of god, Toei, stop making other companies use your terrible subs.
Fallenmessiahx

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:58 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
So kind of looking forward to this? Season 3 was a massive improvement over the first two Crystal seasons, but it was going up against my most beloved of Classic's arcs, so it basically had no chance there. (And I admit that I had some serious beef against the quasi-love-triangle it tossed in.) But I detested Classic's take on the Dream arc and actually enjoyed it in the manga (a far less obnoxious Chibi-Usa helped things immensely). Plus, the Classic version has some really unsettling (and probably intentional) parallels to sexual violence that really dampens my enjoyment on a rewatch, so yeah. Fingers crossed for a strong production team this time around as well.

EDIT: Oh, and for the love of god, Toei, stop making other companies use your terrible subs.

Sexual violence? I don't remember that. Although it's been a while since I watched that season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3