• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Twin Star Exorcists

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Knowing how this series has a tendency to pull off happy ending saves at the last minute, I'm hard pressed to believe they're actually dead for keeps, which robs the scene of even more emotional impact.

Plus aren't the Twelve Guardians still alive in the manga? Unless they plan on doing either a full or partial reboot later, veering that far from the source, namely permanently killing off characters who aren't dead in the manga, is not something they can do. Not that that I think they would get any further adaptation anyways.

It's Tatara not Tanata. Not sure where you get that. Also while he may be a minor one relatively speaking, Tatara is still one of the Twelve Guardians, so he has to be somewhat powerful, though perhaps making him one of the strongest within that does come out of nowhere. Though I believe we already knew about the shikigami part so that isn't out of nowhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:21 am Reply with quote
The series is basically pulling a full metal alchemist (the first anime, not the second) where they are just going with their own original storyline, while blending in elements of the original series. I've checked out episodes here and there but there is just so much filler and stuff that seems inconsequential to the main storyline (at least the manga's main storyline) that I don't think I've watched through a full episode in months, just skimmed through them to see what was happening.

Whether or not it gets a reboot later really depends on how well the manga does. It took years for them to finish up major series like inuyasha and do the reboot for FMA, and those were big series with large fanbases. This is a somewhat popular manga but it hasn't been around long enough to really get that legendary status that would warrant a total remake, although that could change in the future.

That said the manga is in a pretty awesome place right now, just wish it released faster.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I will disagree with one piece of this week's review, and that is to say that while it may not be "satisfying" to see the Twin Stars so handily and easily beat up by Yuto, it makes perfect sense in a mechanical sense within the series thus far. At best, Rokuro and Benio are only a potential match for the 12 guardians in a fight. As shown just before this, they can't do much of anything against Kuranashi, and 2 years prior were very nearly killed the last time they fought Yuto.

So, Yuto returning, not having been fighting all day like Rokuro and Benio have, and having absorbed the power of Kuranashi, the 12 guardians, and the to now thought to be dead Abe-no-Seimei, what with their lacking in the more complex and "tricky" tactics of other seasoned exorcists, it makes infinitely more sense to me that they would get trounced as they did. They've always been struggling to this point to fight every enemy they've come across. Having them seem to be able to match Yuto, I believe, would have been weaker writing, not stronger, because there is nothing to show that should have been the case.

To the extent there is an issue, the issue is that they - the writers - played up this fight with Yuto beyond what it should have been, and forced themselves to write to the reality of the story that was already in place. It then culminates with Arima's return and it seeming like he's such a badass pulling their butts out the fire while facing off with Yuto, but Arima didn't actually do a whole lot but use very minor distractions to make an escape. Again, Rokuro and Benio lack any real "skills" when it comes to anything other than power on power, so it puts an emphasis on things when someone shows up and saves them with relative simplicity just by using a little extra intelligence.
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I checked Yoshiaki Sukeno´s twitter(@sukeno0723) and some of this non-canon plot points are his idea. He made illustrations of Tatara and Kuranashi both unmasked.

Quote:
While in the past, he learns that in addition to being the founder of the Exorcists, Abe no Seimei is also secretly the creator of Magano; the priest created the otherworld as a way of containing all the destructive Yin energy created by humans, but in the end, all it did was give the malignant spirits a place to grow more powerful and destructive. The founding of the Exorcists (and the twelve Guardians who lead them) was essentially to solve a problem that Abe no Seimei himself created, with the Twin Stars and their prophesied progeny being the ultimate solution.

I can understand this, since it makes sense for the lore of the franchise, but...

Quote:
The same goes for the revelation of Rokuro not just being a Kegare, but the Cataclysm King, who was born to wipe out all human life.

This? Isn´t he part of the yin-yang thing? Does this revelation makes sense?

Quote:
go back into the past and learn these things could've been a fascinating multi-episode arc for the series, as well as a great opportunity to flesh out the unseen depths of TSE's world.

If Pierrot had a writing quality control, which Bones always has, as their fillers make more sense
Lulupus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
I checked Yoshiaki Sukeno´s twitter(@sukeno0723) and some of this non-canon plot points are his idea. He made illustrations of Tatara and Kuranashi both unmasked.

That's because he's only in charge of character designs. And Tatara's face IS canon because he's in the manga and a little bit of it was shown in one of the tankoubon.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 am Reply with quote
For someone who is supposed to be made out of yang energy she is sure quick to ignore that billions of people were just killed, or left in a state where they are essentially dead before some sort of happy ending. I would expect that you would be very upset that the idea of joining him would be sickening, the guy is literally one of the greatest monsters in the world.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:38 pm Reply with quote
so, can anyone point out the good episodes worth watching in this series? I stopped watching after the first major arc when it started deviating from the manga and never got back into it. I'm just wondering if there are any good individual episodes worth checking out, not entire arcs. Most people I talk to who have been keeping up with the series seem disappointed overall, but then they are all readers of the manga like me.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
I'll just say that manga readers aren't the only ones disappointed with TSE. Though perhaps not as disappointed or at least not about all the same things.
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Only two episodes, dear god I hope it will be better than everything right now.

I'm honestly getting sick of this series, I don't even know how I made it this far. I'm only getting saddened by the writing which took a nosedive since they stopped following the manga.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
#844391 wrote:
so, can anyone point out the good episodes worth watching in this series? I stopped watching after the first major arc when it started deviating from the manga and never got back into it. I'm just wondering if there are any good individual episodes worth checking out, not entire arcs. Most people I talk to who have been keeping up with the series seem disappointed overall, but then they are all readers of the manga like me.

Here's the list of good episodes worth watching:
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:

I'm honestly getting sick of this series, I don't even know how I made it this far. I'm only getting saddened by the writing which took a nosedive since they stopped following the manga.

Again with my most hated argument of anime fandom. You wanna know what´s a true bad adaptation? Read this reddit post to enlight you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5zqpfd/spoilers_sailor_moon_crystal_and_the_problem_with/

Sure it´s has mediocre writing, but deviation is not the same as bad adaptation, it makes me cringe.

FilthyCasual wrote:
#844391 wrote:

You didn´t say anything? For me, it would be something like:
21, 22, 23, 24,27, 28, 29, 30. These still use the lore of the series fine, and for me were better introduction to the Heavenly Guardians.

Then you can watch 42-45, when Yuto returns
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:04 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Cetais wrote:

Again with my most hated argument of anime fandom. You wanna know what´s a true bad adaptation? Read this reddit post to enlight you:

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/5zqpfd/spoilers_sailor_moon_crystal_and_the_problem_with/

Sure it´s has mediocre writing, but deviation is not the same as bad adaptation, it makes me cringe.

[zrnzle500 note: they aren't saying it was bad because it deviates from the manga, just that the original stuff has been bad.]

FilthyCasual wrote:
#844391 wrote:

You didn´t say anything? For me, it would be something like:
21, 22, 23, 24,27, 28, 29, 30. These still use the lore of the series fine, and for me were better introduction to the Heavenly Guardians.

Then you can watch 42-45, when Yuto returns

They didn't say anything because they think they aren't any worthwhile episodes.
Cetais

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
Cetais wrote:

[...]

I'm not saying that everything that deviate from a source material in inherently bad, just in this case, I felt like everything was getting worse as the story shifted from the manga. It could have been done better, there's a lot of anime that deviated from their source material and did better in my opinion. I'm talking about the bad writing due to the deviation, not the deviation itself.

Anyway, Twin Star Exorcist has always been average at best for me, now it's just worse.
ChrisA15

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 am Reply with quote
I agree with the review, Benio's actions have been pointless and illogical over the past few episodes. I was especially disappointed with the most recent episode, I had hoped from the preview that Benio would resist going with Abe, but nope, the writers clearly want a shallow-minded character. It's pretty sad watching so much potential go to waste.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
People who read the manga, please tell me that the direction this final arc has taken is nothing near what the manga has. That factor alone will determine if I give the manga a shot or not.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16