• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Legendary Anime Producer Masao Maruyama

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Based on a manga by Fumiyo Kono? Sold. I loved Town of Evening Calm, Country of Cherry Blossoms. Thanks for a great interview. It's nice to see a veteran not just tearing down modern anime for once, though I can see why he said a lot of it looks the same. I've watched so many generic male idol shows this past year that if you gave me the art from each of them without telling me which was which I'd struggle to tell them apart.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:03 pm Reply with quote
He might need to get lobbying if he thinks international co-productions are the future, since currently Japan only has a co-production treaty with Canada.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the interview! Maruyama is an incredible man, and a very likable person. It's always good to read (or hear) his thoughts. Too bad there wasn't a question about his new studio, though.
ajr

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Good interview, he seems like a very level-headed person. I didn't know he'd founded both Madhouse and MAPPA, but that's on me. Those stills look really nice and the way he describes the movie sounds interesting too.
megazero

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:42 am Reply with quote
Good to hear his thoughts on the moe trend in anime.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
This was an interesting interview. I always like to read up on Masao Maruyama, he's such an interesting and inspiring presence in the industry.
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:42 am Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for the interview. I've always considered Masao Maruyama as one of my personal heroes and probably one of the most influential guys in the industry. I mean, the man is behind some of the best anime series ever (Monster, Casshern sins, Gungrave...)and even at his age he's still producing some of the best series around (as is the case with Onihei this season). One of the reasons I'm so glad at the huge success of Yuri on Ice is not because of the series itself (which was great anyway) but because Mappa was long overdue a big hit like that.
I really hope Masao can still live healthily for many years and many of his own personal projects can still be made (starting with an anime adaptation of Pluto,please!)
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
Such a remarkable man. It thrills me to the bone knowing that his studio has just had the largest success in their history with YOI, and that Maruyama likely will be looking at a lot of awesome potential projects going forward. And of course it's awesome to see that In This Corner of the World has also been quite successful at well over double its production budget at the box office so far.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Please, please, please find a way to make Dream Machine come to life, even if it's in a rough state. It kills me to see Kon's last work sitting there in production hell.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Please, please, please find a way to make Dream Machine come to life, even if it's in a rough state. It kills me to see Kon's last work sitting there in production hell.

You know what would be cool, in my opinion? Rather than putting out a super unfinished movie, or maybe in addition to a rough release of the film, put out a book with all of the production materials that are complete. I would buy that up in a heartbeat. I'm sure there are a lot of finished storyboards and things like that that would be incredibly interesting.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:14 am Reply with quote
This guy has to feel honored having at the original Mushi Productions. He got hist start working at Tezukaville.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1