• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media to Preview All 6 New Shonen Jump Manga in English

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swiftyy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Additionally, Viz Media announced in the livestream on Friday that it will host a flash sale for subscriptions to its version of Weekly Shonen Jump on January 30. The one-day sale will feature a one-year subscription for US$9.99 in all countries where Weekly Shonen Jump is available (the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa).

Huh, I guess I'll set a reminder for Monday. (don't they also serve the Philippines, Singapore and India now?)
Crystalyn
ANN Managing Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Swiftyy wrote:
Huh, I guess I'll set a reminder for Monday. (don't they also serve the Philippines, Singapore and India now?)

You're correct, thank you. The article's been updated.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:29 am Reply with quote
Hey neat, that'll be an easy way for me to get some first impressions on these series. But I think it's been pretty standard for Viz to put in as many series as they're allowed to. (Were there any recent ones besides Lady Justice that were pre-emptively turned down? I heard Lady Justice wasn't very good to begin with anyway...and I think they would've gotten in trouble with Marvel's own Lady Justice character.)
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:36 am Reply with quote
Hmmm~ The clickbait was strong with this one.
marshmallowpie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:16 am Reply with quote
Uhh yeah, I would hope that Viz would add a few, considering ESJ only has four WSJ titles left in it right now, not counting WT and HxH. None of these new ones excite me that much, but I am looking forward to Fujimaki's golf manga.

leafy sea dragon wrote:
(Were there any recent ones besides Lady Justice that were pre-emptively turned down? I heard Lady Justice wasn't very good to begin with anyway...and I think they would've gotten in trouble with Marvel's own Lady Justice character.)

They skipped Yuragi-sou too, because of the ecchi. That seems to be the only thing Viz won't touch.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
The plot description for Dr. Stone is super vague, but dat pedigree tho.

Robot Abroad sounds cool, too.
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Since Eyeshield 21 is my favorite manga ever, I'm gonna be keeping an eye on Inagaki's new work, Dr. Stone.

It's saying a lot when you can write something formulaic AND suspenseful.
Surf_rock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
It should be "Poro no Ryūgakuki", not "Robo", hence "Poro's Study Abroad Chronicle". And it's not about a robot from the underworld, it's about a demon.
Peebs

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
My subscription expires on the 31st. I have been forgetting to renew. Guess what I'll be doing Monday?! Winning the internet, that's what!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:16 pm Reply with quote
marshmallowpie wrote:

They skipped Yuragi-sou too, because of the ecchi. That seems to be the only thing Viz won't touch.

All right, thanks for letting me know. Viz used to skip all the sports ones too, though I'm unclear on when they decided to stop doing that.
lostbirdinatree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fujimaki serialized his Kuroko's Basketball manga (pictured above right) in Weekly Shonen Jump from 2008-2014.

Pretty sure that's The Promised Neverland in the picture, rather than Kuroko no Basuke. Then again, I checked the linked article and while the bracketed description matches that article, it doesn't match this one.

U19 seems to be the most vague, but I think if it's handled right it has the most potential.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:45 am Reply with quote
That's weird. It was pretty clearly the Volume 1 cover for Kuroko's Basketball when I read it earlier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1