• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Ultimate Magical Girl.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
^

You seriously watched Fate/Kaleid Liner Pisma Illya before watching anything else in the Nasuverse!?

I completely agree with your argument for why the lolicon stuff is justified, but... WHOA. I didn't think people could enjoy it without really getting the references to the main verse.
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
I haven't seen IIlya but KNJ is a unique case because it shows that Rin has major psychological issues as a result of her tragic upbringing as with the other two girls.This works because it provides a logical explanation to their abnormal behavior; it's not just fanservice for the hell of it.

And even despite all that, lots of people do condemn it. It's a highly controversial series. So another series about two grade-schoolers wanting to have sex with each other (with or without a good backstory like KNJ) would cause a lot of controversy as well.

Nanoha is a little creepy with its naked transformation scenes and panty shots...but from what I've seen of the first season, Nanoha's mind seems quite innocent and appropriate in how a child would think: she doesn't show intimate desires for other kids.

I'd like to make the case that Kaworu Watashiya hasn't gotten death threats or accusations of pedophilia from her manga and while she has been scrutinized for KNJ, she has gotten support from fans of her work.
How come I haven't seen any public outcry over Illya with scenes spoiler[involving Chloe passionately kissing girls on the lips and tongue like no tomorrow?]
I'd argue that my own work would be no different than what KNJ or Illya has.
(Though if we were talking about things such as Drama CDs and manga, I think you can get away with more things)
I would also think that a child/child relationship would seem a little less disturbing than a teacher/child relationship.

What about the pre-StrikerS fans, the people who like to ship Nanoha and Fate together even though they're just kids?
Doesn't that bother you a little?

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.

louis6578 wrote:
^

You seriously watched Fate/Kaleid Liner Pisma Illya before watching anything else in the Nasuverse!?

I completely agree with your argument for why the lolicon stuff is justified, but... WHOA. I didn't think people could enjoy it without really getting the references to the main verse.

Chiibi didn't watch Illya.

[Edit]: combined consecutive posts. Errinundra.

Last edited by Heishi on Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 4 times in total
Touma

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
What about the pre-StrikerS fans, the people who like to ship Nanoha and Fate together even though they're just kids?

What people ship and what is in the show are not necessarily the same.
I think that Nanoha does make it easy to ship those characters, but it never seemed to me that the show portrayed them as more than friends.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Heishi wrote:

I think that Nanoha does make it easy to ship those characters, but it never seemed to me that the show portrayed them as more than friends.

That's why I don't buy into this myth that Nanoha and Fate are a couple.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Heishi wrote:

Yes, exactly. How a fanbase reacts and what is actually presented are two different worlds. Fanbases are notorious for taking the most innocent of things and making them twisted and indecent *coughcoughrule34*

Of course it is your decision alone on what to do with your own fan-works.....I'm just saying you might get some backlash for it lol
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
^

Chiibi didn't watch Illya.

Wait, then what's her basis for this statement? And how do you know if she did or didn't? o.o It's possible she did now but didn't when you were informed, right...?

More importantly, we got through this whole Magical Girl thread without ever mentioning that Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill is TECHNICALLY a Magical Girl.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:26 am Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
More importantly, we got through this whole Magical Girl thread without ever mentioning that Ryuko Matoi from Kill La Kill is TECHNICALLY a Magical Girl.

Check my earlier post, I actually did bring it up. I think it is an interesting topic too because I have kind of looked into the topic of what Magical Girls can represent, and apparently a common one is puberty, in transforming from girl into a woman. And Kill la Kill has a lot of growing up, her transformation actually involves blood.

With Nanoha pairings, I want to go on the record that I was on the Nanoha x Yuuno ship, I thought it was especially cute later on when Nanoha sees his true form. But as adults Nanoha lives with Fate, they share the same bed, and adopt a daughter together, there really does not seem to be any other way to view their relationship. Yeah, none of the characters say they are a couple, but you can just as much as that Yuri and Victor never say they are a couple.

I was keeping kind of silent on it, but the idea "sexual" relations between young magical girls is gross, they are just kids, that shouldn't be something really on their minds behind maybe hugs or maybe a kiss because sometimes people can be close without it actually being something weird. Lesbian relationships (to some extent) have been involved in magical girls since maybe Uranus and Neptune, but it is a hardly part that has to be shoehorned in. As I said earlier, magical girls are meant to be a transformation for their life, so all sorts of complex things are meant to be a topic of.

Card Captors (English slightly gutted version of CCS) was a big basis to me for anime and stuff, I think even on female protagonist when I was a kid around similar age, much more than Sailor Moon was. I was kind of interested in information I had heard some years ago where apparently there is evidence that Tomoyo was in love with Sakura. It might sound totally silly but hearing that information kind of did a shift on what my actual thought of were on people who might be homosexual that it did not define them, and it was not just a fetish thing or the number of meaning of how it was used as an insult. I don't know if this is relevant to the topic of how I do think of Sakura as an icon.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Wait, then what's her basis for this statement? And how do you know if she did or didn't? o.o It's possible she did now but didn't when you were informed, right...?

Lol louis, I said "I did not". I typed it. Read more carefully. Anime hyper

Quote:

I am in disagreement over this. Unfortunately I cannot explain. Anime hyper

Quote:
With Nanoha pairings, I want to go on the record that I was on the Nanoha x Yuuno ship, I thought it was especially cute later on when Nanoha sees his true form.

I friggin love this ship; it's just precious ♥

Quote:
I was kind of interested in information I had heard some years ago where apparently there is evidence that Tomoyo was in love with Sakura.

I am thoroughly convinced that Tomoyo is indeed in love with her. But they handle it really tastefully; just making her fangirl over her like she's a movie star and she does confess to her; Sakura says "I love you too". and Tomoyo replies "It's a different type of love. But all I want is for you to find happiness". I thought this was sweet.
Heishi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Regardless of the criticism, I still stand firm in my belief that I have no "ultimate magical girl" and I strongly support the idea of not just a sexual relationship between a magical girl and her non magical object of affection, but a romantic one.

I don't want to say "here are two girls and as soon as they see each other, they immediately kiss, the end", I want the relationship to start off as good friends first, then close friends, to eventually true love. I know it seems controversial, but if works like KNJ and Illya can be made with little problems, then I can do the same for my own work.

But until I see a truly yuri magical girl series done right, I favor no magical girl.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Finding a normal yuri or yaoi anime that goes that way is even a bit difficult, it is like raising the goal a bit high.

For whatever reason I am reminded of the anime Witch Craft Works, which has young ladies (teens) with magic powers, and somewhat noticeable that apparently was set to be a yuri series before they shifted the gender of the main character to male although keeping feminine traits. It makes it kind of interesting in a sort of role reversal anime.

What of Flip Flappers? Still somewhat ambiguous, but certain themes are touched. But even more seemed to be a focus that relationships can be more than just trying to put a label on it. There is also like an entire episode on that subgenre in its cyclical nature.

Oh, strange one maybe to bring in at first because not technically magic, but Pandora in the Crimson Shell: Ghost Urn, it has all the hallmarks of magical girl including transformation and mascot and powers somewhat like more classical magical girls. And it almost certainly a yuri anime, with a pretty strong focus on the relationship building between the two girls, really I have seen it turn people off because they were feeling it was leaning a bit heavily on the girl meets girl setting. In terms of magical girl meaning transforming from one part of life to another, the show has a lot of other themes too.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Lol, Flip Flappers seemed REALLY gay for a while....and then when the major plot got focused on, it sorta went back to subtext. Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2