• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Anime Pilgrimage Sites to Check Off Your List

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
While I have never really been into the pilgrimage idea, I would love to visit Shirakawa. Considering it is a World Hertiage site, the locals must be amused to see the odd Westerner attending potentially due to a (excellent) supernatural murder mystery francise.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been to a total number of one of these places, Hakone! I must say, though, that Hakone is quite a beautiful location.

While not on the list, I've recently noticed Kamakura and the surrounding area being fairly prominent in quite a few of the more recent series, most notably, of course, is Minami Kamakura High School Girls Cycling Club.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the poll, between Zootopia, Kubo and Moana, it's a tough call to make.
pluvia33

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Shirakawa is on the top of my Anime Pilgrimage location list. Higurashi is my second favorite anime series and Hinamizawa is such a huge part of the show. I'd love to visit the original inspiration for the town.

My second most-want-to-visit location isn't on this list and isn't even in Japan (and is much further down on my personal favorite list, but is still at a decent spot): Rothenburg ob der Tauber in Germany, the inspiration for the town Muhlenberg, setting of Snow Fairy Sugar. Interestingly enough, the town actually inspired/hosted other fiction including Disney's Pinocchio, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, and the final two Harry Potter movies.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd imagine there are pilgrims going to Hakone these days because of Yowapeda too, though there weren't a lot of "locations" featured. I first wanted to visit there after seeing Mirage of Blaze. Smile

Tsuritama inspired a bit of tourism for Enoshima too.

I've long been a location buff for tv series, so I guess it's a good thing I don't live in Japan. I'd be running all over the country. It's for the best that I just settle for comparison pix. Smile
WingKing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I remember hearing about this trend for the first time a couple of years ago. I was looking up some stuff about Shikoku after I found out that Yuki Yuna re-created a number of real-life streets and landmarks from Kagawa prefecture, and I found a photo blog where some fan of the series had gone there and taken a bunch of pictures, and this person had been to several other shows' locations too. Surprised me a bit at the time that anyone would go to that kind of trouble, but it's a lot more popular thing for people to do than what I realized back then. I understand that the real-life versions of K-On!'s high school and the Kanda Shrine from the original Love Live have become pretty popular destination spots too.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
In regards to the poll, between Zootopia, Kubo and Moana, it's a tough call to make.

No, it's not, since none of these movies is even close in awesomeness to The Red Turtle. Seriously, if The Red Turtle will not win this years Oscar, I will have to seriously doubt about the Academy tastes in movies, or at lest animated movies.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:46 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
No, it's not, since none of these movies is even close in awesomeness to The Red Turtle. Seriously, if The Red Turtle will not win this years Oscar, I will have to seriously doubt about the Academy tastes in movies, or at lest animated movies.

Aside from your obvious bias for anime showing and how you seem to be unaware the Oscars are known for regularly snubbing even the finest anime movies, I was referring to it being a tough call to make for which one of the three I wanted to vote for. Plus, if they pick any of the others, the Academy has bad tastes by your definition just because the rest of the choices are not produced by Japan? That's a rather unfair assessment you're making.
peno

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Actually, The Red Turtle was produced in France, even though Studio Ghibli co-worked on it. And seeing how it's not even included in ANN's database, it's most likely not even considered anime. If I was anime bias, as you mentioned, I would've been disappointed that there's no anime nomination this year. No, what makes The Red Turtle unique in this year's Oscar nominations, is it's story and unique ways of its telling (no dialogues was really great choice IMO). So, that's what make me to make that comment about Academy tastes. But of course, that's just my taste and opinion, and not for the first time it'll make me question why Academy's tastes are so different from mine, like in 2014, when something as bad in my opinion as Big Hero 6 won over something as awesome as Song of the Sea.
Actar

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Over this past decade, I've completed my pilgrimage to settings of the big 3 of Kyoto Animation, Lucky Star, Haruhi and K-On!.

Kyoto Animation's attention to detail is stunning. Everything is spot-on, from Kasukabe Station to Yuki's Mansion, it's all there (though I'm not going to bombard this page with photos). If you ask me, I really liked Toyosato Primary School. As the K-On! school was based on its old building that's no longer being used as a school, it's been turned into a K-On! museum of sorts and you can go right into the club room.

Would definitely visit all these places again. Honestly, you will never truly understand the appeal of pilgrimages until you've actually been on one. You really do feel like you've stepped into your favorite anime.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
This is a pretty nice list introducing new places to visit. Of all the seven, I had the luck to visit three of them.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:57 pm Reply with quote
peno wrote:
But of course, that's just my taste and opinion, and not for the first time it'll make me question why Academy's tastes are so different from mine, like in 2014, when something as bad in my opinion as Big Hero 6 won over something as awesome as Song of the Sea.

The Academy seems to pick things based more on popularity than talent. In that regard, Zootopia and Moana are more likely to win...because Disney. Not that either movie was poorly done mind you. I personally want Laika's Kubo to win, as I loved its whole papercraft design and story.
Number 6

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:35 am Reply with quote
I want to see Akihabara and also see why Hachiman Hikigaya loves Chiba so much.
Shaterri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
While it didn't make the list, I had a delight getting out to Hirosaki, home of flying witches - we were intending a trip up to Aomori anyway, and so a daytrip over to check out the castle and a few other sites was well within reach. It was miserable weather-wise, but we were still able to get out to one of the most memorable spots from the show: https://goo.gl/photos/Vv4paXzbPkfWJ5SQ8 , https://goo.gl/photos/QAWBV7UwDwRFaXxY9 . Sadly, there weren't any foxes or ghosts there at the time, or at least none that we could see...

Last edited by Shaterri on Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:27 pm; edited 3 times in total
danpmss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:49 am Reply with quote
peno wrote:
belvadeer wrote:

You either didn't watched Zootopia, or just didn't understand just how genius of a socio-political critic that movie greatly was.

Red Turtle didn't even had any of that, it was just an amazing movie. Zootopia was an amazing movie with powerful symbolism/metaphors delivered in a great context our world is passing by lately.

Talk about a movie that surely will win the Oscar for that reason alone, imo.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2