• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Thing X is not meant for you and your Western sensibilities, Gaijin!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
I'm fine with sidebar discussions but Cam0 was phrasing it as a rebuttal to my primary argument in this thread so I treated it accordingly. Again, no one is disputing whether anime is able to get away with more questionable content, so it's not like it's that big of a question that needs debate. It's only important if it's being used as an example to claim Japanese general public is culturally down with that as a norm, and they arent. Thats my point. But yea, as much as people want to say that lots of funny business goes on in anime, I agree.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorry, I can't think of anything to add to this discussion.

But I noticed Digibro had posted a video about tone shifts in anime and remembered Blood-'s post about that. Just thought it was interesting and it is related to the topic, I think?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god, Cam0, thank you for posting that video! It actually perfectly captures my own feelings about tonal shifts (um, except for the part where the narrator called the live action Speed Racer one of his favourite films of all time - I haven't seen the film myself, but I suspect when I do (I'm interested in seeing it now) it probably isn't going to rank as high as that in my own personal pantheon). That video should be mandatory viewing for anybody reviewing anime.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Glad you liked it. I also largely agreed with his views. While I'm subscribed to his youtube channel I don't actually watch his videos all that much but the title of that video seemed particularly interesting.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:13 pm Reply with quote
I think that humility is an important tool when trying to understand art. What I mean by that is that one should be open to different cultural standards and try to understand stuff from the perspective of the intended audience.

One thing I like about some Japanese sensibilities is that it represents direct aggression on Western conceptions of morality and sensibilities. Stuff like Hidamari Sketch is completely at odds with Western sensibilities and I enjoy it in that way. Although this kind of stuff also violates traditional Japanese sensibilities and represents a way of the Japanese youth to rebel against society's standards in the same way satanism in Heavy Metal Music is a way Western Youth rebels against Western cultural standards.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:02 pm Reply with quote
I think context is important in the cultural sense, pieces of entertainment do not exist in a vacuum, and it is interesting to view what different media can mean from the view of different cultures.

Perhaps something a little off topic is something I was watching recently that pointed out the differences between the movie Alien and the movie Aliens, and how they might represent differences of culture ideas at the time of the movie. The original movie was kind of at the time of fear of things like faceless corporations, while the second was at a time that people were thinking about the individuals with those organisations, that it did not mean the organisation itself was bad. I actually think horror is one of the most interesting topics of being culturally important of something at the time it is made. Like how they found that zombies and vampires movies seem to be made at different times when there are different fears (largely in America) that can be represented by the monsters.

Shows like Madoka, School Live and Re:zero can seem like senseless messes of conflicting and maybe cruel imagery and tonal shifts that just don't make sense. But maybe require an understanding of the other media similar that you pick up what exactly might be why there is a point to it all.

But dismissing someone from really not being able to understand is also really bad, you cannot just ignore someone's opinion, and really one of the fun part for me of the genre is contrasting those different opinions, and saying why it might not be acceptable from your own.

I was reading earlier the discussion of the teacher thing in the recent monster girl anime, and I maybe have an opinion on it. The kiss in question had been after the teacher had perhaps pretty thoughtlessly been asking questions that might kind of personal. It may have totally been hypocritical that he would tell her off after he had spent a good amount of time talking about drinking blood from another, something she seemed kind of embarrassed about, and he even questioned her in equating it to thoughts on sex. He might have been totally clueless on it, or realised that he was kind of embarrassing her and that the kiss she did was an attempt to try and embarrass him back, that for him to make a big deal about it to her may have been the wrong thing to do.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
But dismissing someone from really not being able to understand is also really bad, you cannot just ignore someone's opinion, and really one of the fun part for me of the genre is contrasting those different opinions, and saying why it might not be acceptable from your own.

Well that depends on the attitude of the person. I showed the (1999) Utena film to a bunch of film buffs and their reaction was simply hostile, a product of plain ignorance and arrogance. The opinions are only worth something if the person has consumed the media in good intention otherwise...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4