• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Tales of Berseria

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Thacker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Is the camera broken, like in Zestiria, where it was broken for single-player and utterly unusable for multiplayer? In Zestiria, if you played multiplayer then player 2 would literally not be on camera most of the time and there was NO way to fix that.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
This sounds right up my alley. I love revenge stories, and it sounds like this one is even better than some of the older games.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I unironically think Velvet's outfit is pretty cool with the right amount of sex appeal.
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I unironically think Velvet's outfit is pretty cool with the right amount of sex appeal.

I was iffy on it at first, but find in story it actually works really well for her.

Last edited by bleachj0j on Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vannil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:17 pm Reply with quote
John Thacker wrote:
Is the camera broken, like in Zestiria, where it was broken for single-player and utterly unusable for multiplayer? In Zestiria, if you played multiplayer then player 2 would literally not be oncamera most of the time and there was NO way to fix that.

It's still a little wonky, but not too bad. They also make it real easy to center the camera. Overall it's way better than Zestiria
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Enjoying this Tales so far. The English dub is fantastic, the combat is fun and the story is interesting enough without overdoing "dark and edgy". It's easy to see Erica Lindbeck had a lot of fun voicing Magilou, on the same level Kate Higgins had with Pascal in Graces f. XD
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
The one JRPG where I don't have to kill religion or God is 'by-the-numbers'? It wasn't amazing by any means (I could say that about all Tales Of games really), but the story it attempted to tell about for faith and the abundance or lack thereof was better than most in the series.

So I guess the question is: do I have to kill religion again in this one? Oh also is Go Shiina composing again? He was the only source of GOOD tracks in the series for the last two decades.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
So I guess the question is: do I have to kill religion again in this one? Oh also is Go Shiina composing again? He was the only source of GOOD tracks in the series for the last two decades.

I think it would best to see for yourself what you have to do. As for music, I'm afraid Shiina's awesomeness was not called upon for this title.
Generations

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I think it would best to see for yourself what you have to do. As for music, I'm afraid Shiina's awesomeness was not called upon for this title.

As someone who's played a number of Tales Of games, I respectfully disagree. In cases like these, I'm in the opinion I'm better off knowing what I'm getting into. If you already know, I don't mind spoilers.

Hearing the lack of Shiina's blessing IS a massive shame, though not a dealbreaker. I'm more curious as to the story's direction, considering this directly affect's Zestiria's past and present.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I fully trust that Berseria is a solid run of the mill J-PRG with a lame story but not the "darkest entry" ever bit. Rebirth and Abyss were nonsensically tragical and the protagonist of Vesperia (the best entry) was both a war veteran and a murderer. You lastly had to kill billions in Tales of Xillia 2 but i don´t think that the hack writers understood what their script was insinuating.
I´ll get the game in 2 weeks and will just hope that it is better than Zestiria. A game neither me, nor the developers (!) cared to finish. And i was dumb enough to finish even Innocence! Yeah, half the entries aren´t that great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought about skipping this one since I hated Zestiria so much that I couldn't force myself to finish it. The list of problems I had with it is unreal: the camera that would plant itself staring at the ground, the needlessly complicated battle system that somehow also managed to be very restricti...I don't really need to go through them all again. I'm actually annoyed to hear this game fixes problems from its predecessor as, since their connected, I feel like I'm going to have to go back and finish Zestiria if I do get it. *shudders*
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Considering how decisive the Tales of Zestiria game has been, would it be ideal to play Berseria first and then watch the Tales of Zestiria the X anime?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Generations wrote:
As someone who's played a number of Tales Of games, I respectfully disagree. In cases like these, I'm in the opinion I'm better off knowing what I'm getting into. If you already know, I don't mind spoilers.

Hearing the lack of Shiina's blessing IS a massive shame, though not a dealbreaker. I'm more curious as to the story's direction, considering this directly affect's Zestiria's past and present.

As you wish, and it includes endgame spoilers too, so let me hide it so no one else finds out: spoiler[You will slowly be taking apart the religion Artorius created bit by bit as you progress, and because of your actions in the end, humans can longer see Malaks (who later get renamed to Seraphim in Zestiria). Basically, Velvet and company's actions are why humans can't see Seraphim in the future and why the two races grow apart from each other. Incidentally, the malevolence became more apparent because you brought an end to the comfort the people found in Artorius's religion].

Yeah. A few of his Zestiria pieces are reused in Berseria, but there's no new music from him sadly.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I personally really like Tales of Zestiria. I won't deny that it's a VERY flawed game, but I really connected with the characters and their plight (Except Dezel. He can jump off a cliff). But I do agree the battle system is super complicated, and I only just managed to get to the fire trial! I have no desire to play Berseria at the moment, as I want to get through both Zestiria and Symphonia before playing any more Tales games. Plus I don't have the consoles needed to play certain ones like Vesperia and Graces.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:16 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Generations wrote:

As you wish, and it includes endgame spoilers too, so let me hide it so no one else finds out: spoiler[You will slowly be taking apart the religion Artorius created bit by bit as you progress, and because of your actions in the end, humans can longer see Malaks (who later get renamed to Seraphim in Zestiria). Basically, Velvet and company's actions are why humans can't see Seraphim in the future and why the two races grow apart from each other. Incidentally, the malevolence became more apparent because you brought an end to the comfort the people found in Artorius's religion].

i figured that was the case. i wouldn't be surprised that just like spoiler[eizen , velvet also got turned into a dragon after being consumed by malevolence. hell i wouldnt be surprised at all if that dragon that appeared in ep 4 and 7 was velvet. then it would make sense why those two berseria eps appeared in ep 5 and 6.]

[Edit]: fixed up you misapplied quote tags and added spoiler. Errinundra.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2