• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:13 am Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
I'm wondering if he is a secret Heir (possibly to protect him from assassination) which would make him the real next in line. He is a dead ringer for the Crown Prince. Crow I assume is working for the Privy secretary keeping tabs on him and manoeuvring him in to a position to take the throne when the King dies.

The other thing that struck me was everyone was assuming a coup would come from the bottom up when it could as easily come from someone close to power.

That's not a bad theory. I've been wondering why Jean and Lotte haven't mentioned their parents. An even bigger mystery is where the rest of the royal family was at this huge coming-of-age shindig. Where were the prince's parents, aunts, cousins? Or was this a affair only for male born royals? It's strange...

But Nino working for the King's secretary makes a lot of sense. That's how he would know that the prince would be interested in Jean's sister (who now has her second creepy admirer). But what is their goal in using her? My first thought was to act as a hostage to force Jean to do what they want, but perhaps they want to distract the prince with a commoner? Maybe both?
Was expecting a bomb to go off at the party, or the pretty cake to be poisoned...anything to make the characters react to something other than rumors, food and alcohol! Wink
chaccide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 am Reply with quote
I thought Lotta actually looked like a princess. Maybe she is and Jean takes care of her. It's a bit strange that the two of them end up at such a high ranking party, and that the king notices her. And also that they happen to be running such a luxury apartment building and can live there.

I don't get the feeling that Jean is innocent or naive at all, and I think he's aware of Nino's actions. He just plays everything very close to the vest. He's not a top inspector for nothing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:26 pm Reply with quote
I've seen some speculation that Jean, and maybe also Lotte, are illegitimate offspring of the king. If so, their mother must have been considerably younger. The prince is probably eighteen, and he is the child of the youngest daughter, so all the king's daughters must be older than Jean and Lotte. If Jean is the king's son, then I can understand wny knowledgeable courtiers and officials might see him as a possible focus for a coup.

Jean is becoming a bit infatuated with Mauve, which I can entirely understand. Still I wouldn't trust her or anyone else in this story given what we know about Nino.

Between this show and Ristorante Paradiso, my guess is that Ono Natsume has something of an obsession with food!

Aoi Yuuki's performance as Lotte grates on my nerves a bit. I generally like her work, but here I think she's pitching the voice a bit too high. I suppose that's what is expected for a genki character like Lotte, but I wish she was a bit more modulated. On the other hand, I could listen to Tanaka Atsuko's sultry voice all day long.
Valhern

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Some way or another, ACCA manages to bore me and entertain me at the same time. Visually, I still like it, and I'm very much fine with the aesthetic of the show. It's just...I don't care about this conflict? At all?

I keep expecting for the characters to actually talk about politics instead of talking about turning points and just overall shady stuff going on, and they just don't. I like the characters just fine for me to keep going with it, but I literally couldn't care less about the conflict they're supposedly facing because they themselves give me no reasons to care.

All I got so far is that a coup d'etat might happen, and that Jean is suspect. That's it, the supposedly bad guys don't even show a glimpse on how they view society, the political system, nothing. I can accept Jean not talking because his shtick is that he's just chill and there is a certain air of being unpredictable to everyone else, even the audience while still being likeable. But everyone else relevant doesn't seem to comment on the overall thematic of the series except that a plot point could be happening, and hinting at twists and turns. We don't even have enough motivation for most of the cast to do...whatever they do, at least that would be fun.

I don't bother myself speculating what twist might come about because I literally don't care so far that any twist happen, I'm not even looking for clues, I at least want to be surprised at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi guys!

If you enjoy video reviews as well, take a look at my channel youtube.com/c/stefanreviews. I'm reviewing ACCA, Onihei and Little Witch Academia this season.

Dear moderators, the relevancy of this post is that not a lot of video reviewers are reviewing ACCA, so I am bringing 1 more option. Thanks Very Happy.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:40 pm Reply with quote
More and more interesting, the siblings have never met the owner of the building they supervise. Also Nino after offering to post it for her intercepts Lotta's regular present to the building owner and says to his boss he will include it with his report. It leaves open the possibility that he's not stealing it, just passing it directly to its intended recipient.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Hey! I thoroughly enjoyed this week's ACCA, about time!

While still not blowing me away, I fully appreciate that we finally get what I've been asking for since the beginning. It's relatively simple, but it works perfectly fine and understandable enough. Jean's attitude and resolution packed enough motivation to look as cool as the show pretended it to be, so that's a big plus for me.

Only nitpick would be that the guys raising the coup d'etat are a little too obvious, like, nobody there wear masks or something, and the officer guy just walks into their hideout, as if nobody would suspect that. But yeah, minor complaints.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:19 pm Reply with quote
I got the impression there were attempted uprisings in that country all the time, the rest of the federation just never heard about them because they were hushed up. The military seemed happy to let the people vent and plot and only take action when they become significantly strong to become a thread. They even let all the insurgency leaders free at the end without much objection.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
That was way too clean for a coup... and Jean can't be this stupid that he really think everyone will be release and forgiven...

Also, ACCA, if you're going to keep having exposition dialogue beyond the first few episode, could you at least be good about it?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I have to say Jean Otus's character is starting to bug me. That unflappable, half-lidded gaze and the constant need to smoke make me want to punch him in his dopey face.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:52 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
That was way too clean for a coup... and Jean can't be this stupid that he really think everyone will be release and forgiven...

According to what they say, they're forced to accept Jean's conditions. They can't simply murder him and go "Well, Jean Otus and Warbler may or may not have suffered a long unknown disease and died! What are the odds!" Seeing that this independent country is held by nobles (very vague but), and that there is already enough conspiracy theories, mostly related to Jean, for someone to take advantage of this and actually perform a bigger coup d'etat.

The main objective of this independent country is stay independent in service of the nobles, it's not clear how exactly they serve a purpose to the nobles, but it's clear that it's not particularly interested in any other than upholding its sociocultural hegemony, and considering it's gone through more than one attempt of coup, it's been dong its job just fine. It's likely that this is the one time that a person like Jean knows about it and it's not as easy to silence him. Maybe the leaders of the attempt will end up punished anyway, but Jean did at least manage to get them free to escape or something.
Songster01

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm a fan of Natsume Ono/basso, so I was happy to start watching this series. I like the OP in toto and the animation of the ED is quite nice. The show's aesthetic and atmosphere are quite attractive to me. One unfortunate thing is that so far I'm not really connecting with the characters as I have in other series like House of Five Leaves, which drew me in quickly character-wise. Part of this is that especially in ep3 I was wondering if anyone should be trusted, given the hints of multiple plots. I know some people thrive on this, but I need to connect with the characters involved or I stop caring about the intrigues. I'm hoping the fleshing out of Jean and Lotta (and at least some of the others) will help me to do that in future eps. Right now I'm more here for the aesthetics and the food/drink references, not the characters.
HandofBobb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Valhern wrote:
Some way or another, ACCA manages to bore me and entertain me at the same time. Visually, I still like it, and I'm very much fine with the aesthetic of the show. It's just...I don't care about this conflict? At all?

I know what you mean, personally this show is turning into "ACCA: well, there's nothing else on Teusdays..."
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Hmm. I'm a little bothered by the fact that the district's don't import with each other. That's what got me so enthralled by this week and last week's episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:47 am Reply with quote
At the moment I find myself more intrigued by the geography and climate of this island (which must be pretty big, like Australia-sized) than the politics. I want to see topographic and weather maps of the region to account for the scenery they've been showing us. Smile Also curious about how bread is turning out to be the focal point of this.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6