• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Japan Debuts World's 1st 'Sushi Kit Kat' Confections

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Pretty clever. It never amazes me just how many Kit Kat flavors are in Japan.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Thank goodness these Sushi Kit Kats aren't actually fish-flavored, or else it would have an unappealing taste. Razz
mangaka-chan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Darn it! So the "sushi" Kit Kat is a limited time item? I wanted to buy some and give them to my coworkers to try when I go to Japan in March. Laughing
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Great presentation, However, does it taste good?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:59 pm Reply with quote
If I were a patissier, I'm not sure how proud I would be working at that store. "I'm a patissier. -Neat. What sort of stuff do you make? -Stuff with Kit-Kats -Oh..." They've certainly done a good job but Kit-Kats ain't exactly high-brow.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:28 am Reply with quote
Hoppy800 wrote:

They not using the real sushi ingredients. Rice is substituted with puffed rice which is so normal with chocolate. White chocolate, raspberry, Hokkaido melon and mascarpone cheese. All this ingredients goes well with chocolate.

zrnzle500 wrote:
If I were a patissier, I'm not sure how proud I would be working at that store. "I'm a patissier. -Neat. What sort of stuff do you make? -Stuff with Kit-Kats -Oh..." They've certainly done a good job but Kit-Kats ain't exactly high-brow.

Thats not how patissier work. They dont care what base the food come from. Same goes for chef too. They even work on leftover food found in fridge so people would appreciate it. Thats a respectable job.

You basically belittled patissier job just because they use KitKat as work subject.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
Pretty clever. It never amazes me just how many Kit Kat flavors are in Japan.

well to be fair, there arent that many at once. Most of the weird flavours people hear about are only sold for a few months, or only available in certain locations. I currently live in Japan and in your average store there's not really much kitkats at all - just regular, white and macha with seasonal ones (like pumpkin for halloween) now and then. Actually, back home in Australia there are more kitkat varieties in the store that are constant. Japan doesn't have a constant caramel, marble choc, salted caramel, or cookies and creme flavour like we do, nor does it have the chunky ones.
(of course if you did a cross-country trip and bought one of the regional kitkats from every airport/station in japan, there'd probably be a lot of different ones, I'm just talking about what you can find in a supermarket in one place on an average day.)

I imagine this new store will have a bunch of exclusive flavours though- will have to give it a visit when I go to Tokyo next week. Sounds fun.

Last edited by championferret on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:28 am Reply with quote
Hikarunu wrote:
zrnzle500 wrote:

Thats not how patissier work. They dont care what base the food come from. Same goes for chef too. They even work on leftover food found in fridge so people would appreciate it. Thats a respectable job.

You basically belittled patissier job just because they use KitKat as work subject.

If they can't help it or it tastes better that way, they'll use leftovers. But do I want to go to a restaurant that consistently does so when they have the time and money to use fresh stuff (aside from when it is better not to)?

Again, they've certainly done a good job here, and you wouldn't want one that is to fussy about the material that they miss out on good stuff that can be made, but I don't want one that doesn't give a shit about what it is made from at all.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm like the Kit Kat connoiseur at my job. So I'm always buying different flavors off ebay. So I guess I'll be checking for these now. Of course I'm sure they're going to cost because they're special.

Did you know a case of wasabi Kit Kat can run you $20 for a small case of 12?

Another cool piece of Kit Kat trivia is that US Kit Kat and Japan's have different tastes. Kit Kat in Japan is produced by Nestle while US is Hershey.

Most people that have eaten the Kit Kat candies from Japan found they taste better but it depends on what you like. I got some "sake" flavored ones at home and at work. The alcohol is pretty mild but it's there. I could only find sellers willing to part with a pack. Surprisingly, I was actually able to find a seller that sells them in the economy sized bags of 12 (2-bar) pieces (like in the photo). Most bags sell 12 mini pieces. He sells them 2 bags per package. So if you were to order 2 bags you'd be getting 4 packages of 12 mini bars. The one that's been on the market at Japanese stores in the US is the "Molesson" brand. It's like a almond and cranberry sprinkled on top of the bar. These mini bars come 1 single packaged bar for a total of 12 to a pack. They're a little bigger than the Green Tea, Strawberry, Sake, or Chocolate mini. But sushi??? This is a strange combination.
Zumie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind the melon and the raspberry- but the cheese?? Cheese flavoured kitkat?? That- is an abomination!! WHY! WHY curse us with such a beast?!
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:34 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Thank goodness these Sushi Kit Kats aren't actually fish-flavored, or else it would have an unappealing taste. Razz

I have a hunch they already made fish-flavored Kit Kats.

I mean, there's a wasabi-flavored one sitting on our coffee table just several meters away from where I'm sitting. They'll go weird distances for these flavors.
mangaka-chan wrote:
Darn it! So the "sushi" Kit Kat is a limited time item? I wanted to buy some and give them to my coworkers to try when I go to Japan in March. Laughing

Kit Kats have a limited-edition system in Japan, where they'll release a flavor and remove it a few months later. Besides a few core flavors (and some of them ARE unusual, like my aforementioned wasabi one), none of them are ever intended to stay on shelves for long no matter how well they sell. This system has worked out wonderfully in Japan. There are a lot of people in Japan who have made it their personal goal to eat as many Kit Kat flavors as possible, and they'll keep their ears to the ground for new Kit Kats so they can eat them.

In a way, you see that with Doritos in the United States too, though to a lesser extent.

Hoppy800 wrote:

Well, I like chocolate and I like puffed rice (I'm a sucker for Rice Krispies treats), so I'm sure I'd like it.

zrnzle500 wrote:
If they can't help it or it tastes better that way, they'll use leftovers. But do I want to go to a restaurant that consistently does so when they have the time and money to use fresh stuff (aside from when it is better not to)?

Again, they've certainly done a good job here, and you wouldn't want one that is to fussy about the material that they miss out on good stuff that can be made, but I don't want one that doesn't give a shit about what it is made from at all.

Well, the Kit Kat people are paying this patissier to make Kit Kat dishes like these.

By the way, you'd be surprised at what dessert chefs can make out of common supermarket stuff. I went to this place that had doughnuts made from Cap'n Crunch and other ones made from Golden Grahams, and they are amazing.

If anything, I feel that unless this patissier was told specifically to do so, he's not making the best use out of Kit Kats because he's just putting them on top of sweetened puffed rice.

Maybe it's because I've watched a lot of Chopped, but I feel what makes a good chef is the ability to make something tasty out of anything. And I'll bet this fellow likes a good challenge.

Zumie wrote:
I don't mind the melon and the raspberry- but the cheese?? Cheese flavoured kitkat?? That- is an abomination!! WHY! WHY curse us with such a beast?!

What's wrong with cheese in sweet foods? Never had a cheese danish or cheesecake?

Both of those run on cream cheese, but still, mascarpone cheese is also a super-soft and super-mild cheese and lends itself to dessert well too, like in cannoli (though ricotta is more common).
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:57 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

I have a hunch they already made fish-flavored Kit Kats.

I mean, there's a wasabi-flavored one sitting on our coffee table just several meters away from where I'm sitting. They'll go weird distances for these flavors.

[zrnzle500 note: Aside from an April Fool's joke article, there does not appear to be any fish flavored Kit Kats. Best quote from the article
Quote:
However, he added that no other company had gone so far as to include small chunks of fish and seafood in their products. “This will be a truly unforgettable product,” adding as a warning that “customers might want to watch out for bones.”Shocked
*emoticon added]

zrnzle500 wrote:

Well, the Kit Kat people are paying this patissier to make Kit Kat dishes like these.

By the way, you'd be surprised at what dessert chefs can make out of common supermarket stuff. I went to this place that had doughnuts made from Cap'n Crunch and other ones made from Golden Grahams, and they are amazing.

If anything, I feel that unless this patissier was told specifically to do so, he's not making the best use out of Kit Kats because he's just putting them on top of sweetened puffed rice.

Maybe it's because I've watched a lot of Chopped, but I feel what makes a good chef is the ability to make something tasty out of anything. And I'll bet this fellow likes a good challenge.

No doubt about all of that. I work next to the bakery section and the cake decorators and/or pastry chefs do good work with all sorts of stuff. And some of the customers think they can do it Rolling Eyes
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:44 am Reply with quote
Japan, you might be overthinking the Kit Kat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1