• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Welcome to the Ballroom GN 1 & 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:49 am Reply with quote
I expect to see my bacteria friend here soon Wink

That said, great analysis. And about the art, for some reason i see this as what Sui Ishida's art would look like at it's highest level.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
I expect to see my bacteria friend here soon Wink

That said, great analysis. And about the art, for some reason i see this as what Sui Ishida's art would look like at it's highest level.

You called? Wink.

It was a good review, but there was a mistake. It's Shizuku, not Shizuka.
blackpariah

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:45 pm Reply with quote
I got into this series a few months ago. It really has a consistent feel of development for Tatara, Sengoku eventually becomes less antagonistic, and the art continues to be fantastic.
Can't wait for the anime, especially if it looks as good as Haikyuu.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
After enjoying Yowamushi Pedal so much (I've only read to the end of the second omnibus, and I read it pretty recently too, I'm late to this party), Welcome to the Ballroom definitely failed to engage me. It had that problem that I have with other series where it focuses entirely too much on the sport and entirely too little on the human element. Tatara is kind of just a regular loser guy, he didn’t feel very well developed to me. It seems he’s more avoiding tell his parents out who knows what, his parents don’t seem like they’d be mean or unsupportive, so I really don’t understand why he doesn’t confide in them since the relationship with Tatara and his parents isn’t established well enough. I feel the characters for Yowamushi are much better defined, the main kid there (Onoda) really wanted friends and thought anime would do it for him, but he still embraces the call of pedaling, even without realizing it would get him friends at first. You can also more easily believe why Onoda would have natural cycling talent, since he biked to Akiba at least once a week and has for years, but I really don’t buy why Tatara is a sudden natural at ballroom dance. Even with ending v1 on a cliffhanger, I don’t entirely care how it turns out for Tatara. But I actually want to see how Onoda continues to make friends through biking, even though v2 didn’t end on a major cliffhanger. I want to see more about Onoda as a character, not as a cyclist, where I feel like Tatara was so underdeveloped, I can only hope to see him as a dancer and not as a character.
I'm also not a fan of Tatara's dance mimicking thing either. Onoda has a good base, with all of his previous weekly anime biking, but he still needs to learn to improve (especially since he doesn't actually know much about bikes, oddly enough). Tatara's thing seems like it has the potential for so much cop-out as the series goes on.
Also, since reading vol 1 of Welcome to the Ballroom, I have also seen Yuri on Ice, which is fast paced, beautiful, and has fantastic characters and is also about a type of dancing (I suppose you could see it that way, sure). So with the existence of far superior series about far superior characters, I just found Ballroom vol 1 a massive waste of my time (no matter how pretty it looked, in fact, I think the art is the only thing Ballroom had going for it).
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't help seeing paraells of Yuri on Ice with this...the cover looks like Eros Yuuri. The story reminds me somewhat of it...weird, huh? Or maybe its a YoI withdraw, I dunno.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Or maybe its a YoI withdraw, I dunno.

Seems so. BeY has no bl in it.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Couldn't help seeing paraells of Yuri on Ice with this...the cover looks like Eros Yuuri. The story reminds me somewhat of it...weird, huh? Or maybe its a YoI withdraw, I dunno.

Honestly, when I read the bit in the review about great anatomy and sense of musculature, my immediate thought was "get the YoI team on that, stat!"

Way too late in the game for that, apparently, but I think a dancing anime would've suited them very nicely.
pikopika

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:

Yes, I liked the review, but Shizuku's misspelled name bothered me too.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:57 pm Reply with quote
pikopika wrote:

I know, right? I just don't know what to do to let the higher-ups know about it, since I doubt they'd read my post.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
pikopika wrote:

I know, right? I just don't know what to do to let the higher-ups know about it, since I doubt they'd read my post.

Calm down, i think most editors read the comment in case someone points out any error. They might be a bit busy for now but they'll probably correct it soon enough.... at least i hope so. O.o'
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Sorry about that, folks. It's been fixed, along with the herald error that says spring instead of summer.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:25 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

As someone who was more interested in YoI for the skating than the romance (that was a nice bonus, don't get me wrong, but I'm a choreography buff), I don't think you're that far off. The confidence issues and the story flow do feel similar, and figure skating and dancesport share some definite similarities. If you were more into YoI for the BL romance, this won't cut it, but if you liked the rest of the show on its own merits, I think you might like this too.
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
After enjoying Yowamushi Pedal so much (I've only read to the end of the second omnibus, and I read it pretty recently too, I'm late to this party), Welcome to the Ballroom definitely failed to engage me. It had that problem that I have with other series where it focuses entirely too much on the sport and entirely too little on the human element. Tatara is kind of just a regular loser guy, he didn’t feel very well developed to me. It seems he’s more avoiding tell his parents out who knows what, his parents don’t seem like they’d be mean or unsupportive, so I really don’t understand why he doesn’t confide in them since the relationship with Tatara and his parents isn’t established well enough. I feel the characters for Yowamushi are much better defined, the main kid there (Onoda) really wanted friends and thought anime would do it for him, but he still embraces the call of pedaling, even without realizing it would get him friends at first. You can also more easily believe why Onoda would have natural cycling talent, since he biked to Akiba at least once a week and has for years, but I really don’t buy why Tatara is a sudden natural at ballroom dance. Even with ending v1 on a cliffhanger, I don’t entirely care how it turns out for Tatara. But I actually want to see how Onoda continues to make friends through biking, even though v2 didn’t end on a major cliffhanger. I want to see more about Onoda as a character, not as a cyclist, where I feel like Tatara was so underdeveloped, I can only hope to see him as a dancer and not as a character.
I'm also not a fan of Tatara's dance mimicking thing either. Onoda has a good base, with all of his previous weekly anime biking, but he still needs to learn to improve (especially since he doesn't actually know much about bikes, oddly enough). Tatara's thing seems like it has the potential for so much cop-out as the series goes on.
Also, since reading vol 1 of Welcome to the Ballroom, I have also seen Yuri on Ice, which is fast paced, beautiful, and has fantastic characters and is also about a type of dancing (I suppose you could see it that way, sure). So with the existence of far superior series about far superior characters, I just found Ballroom vol 1 a massive waste of my time (no matter how pretty it looked, in fact, I think the art is the only thing Ballroom had going for it).

You kinda have the same problems as I did, with the only difference being the characters.
Tatara didn't have a lot of personality, getting pushed around by the rest of the cast and barely standing up for himself, even when it's clearly not entirely his fault.
Not to mention that the rest of the cast is some bland mixture of jerks and clichés.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:01 pm Reply with quote
PotatoGirl wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

You kinda have the same problems as I did, with the only difference being the characters.
Tatara didn't have a lot of personality, getting pushed around by the rest of the cast and barely standing up for himself, even when it's clearly not entirely his fault.
Not to mention that the rest of the cast is some bland mixture of jerks and clichés.

Don't worry, later on that becomes an important plot point for his development Wink
PotatoGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
PotatoGirl wrote:
classicalzawa wrote:

Don't worry, later on that becomes an important plot point for his development Wink

I've read all the available chapters online, but I still have some time to wait.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1