• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Announces Its Own Convention After Surpassing 1 Million Paid Subscribers

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
Damn son! That's freaking impressive!
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:33 am Reply with quote
That's cool, but I'd rather have better video encoding and more people working on subtitles quality checking.

On-topic: I hope this doesn't spur other companies to invest into their own conventions, and that this doesn't take effort away from companies' presence at other conventions. The US is convention schedule is already oversaturated, and I can't imagine a new con that'll probably be large right from the start will help that at all.
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:43 am Reply with quote
^^^ Agreed, their video quality could be so much better, but it seems like they cheap out on important things like subtitle and video quality.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:45 am Reply with quote
The video quality of CR is better then what the Japanese get on TV, so I'm not complaining there.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
Congrats to CR for passing the 1 million paid subscribers mark. Coincidently, the beginning of my anime obsession began roughly the same time that CR was starting out as a legitimate streaming service (early 2009). At that time they didn't have a particularly large catalog and were only streaming a handful of currently airing titles. I remember that Saki and Shangri-La were two of the first currently airing titles I watched. The site sure has come a long way since then.
Gamer Goku

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote
Tfw you're on the east coast.
CycloneJoker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed that they aren't calling it CrunchyCon.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
That's cool, but I'd rather have better video encoding and more people working on subtitles quality checking.

^^ This.

Crunchy has too many other problems right now to be diluting their effort.
Mikasa_su_casa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
Surprising, the last I had heard was the number of subscribers was down since 2014. Maybe this accounts for site being to slow to use recently.
omoikane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
gravediggernalk wrote:
On-topic: I hope this doesn't spur other companies to invest into their own conventions, and that this doesn't take effort away from companies' presence at other conventions. The US is convention schedule is already oversaturated, and I can't imagine a new con that'll probably be large right from the start will help that at all.

You think so? I think California, given its pop density and demo, has surprisingly few anime cons compared to the east coast. There is definitely room for another con out west given that a very small percent of con goers fly to an anime con.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:27 am Reply with quote
Id rather have improved service than yet another convention in one of the only two states in North America...They should instead use that money to fix the weekly downtime on Saturday and Sunday on the platform, the badly typeset subs (often theres three lines of text and text constantly hanging off the screen or on the bottom of the screen and cut off).
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:28 am Reply with quote
Yay... another group is putting together a convention with strong planned industry presence in the summer, in California... as opposed to... ANYWHERE ELSE IN THE FRIGGIN USA.

Joy Rolling Eyes
pluvia33

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:35 am Reply with quote
CycloneJoker wrote:

Ha! That was precisely the name I was hoping for when I saw the headline! But I do understand why they're calling it what they are. If it was going to be a more standard anime convention like Otakon or Ohayocon, then it would HAVE to be called CrunchyCon. However, they're going for more of an expo format like PAX and E3, so in that light the name they went with fits.

Good luck to them. I hope it works out. It will be interesting to see what they showcase there. It'd be a really long trip for me so I definitely won't go this year, but maybe I'll consider going some other time if they keep up with it and if the reporting makes it seem worthwhile.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
More than a million subscribers? I had no idea they were hurting so badly. No wonder they had to unceremoniously fire broad swaths of their technical staff.

pluvia33 wrote:
CycloneJoker wrote:

Ha! That was precisely the name I was hoping for when I saw the headline! But I do understand why they're calling it what they are. If it was going to be a more standard anime convention like Otakon or Ohayocon, then it would HAVE to be called CrunchyCon.

Well, there's also that to a select few, "Crunchy Con," refers to something rather different than what they likely want to convey..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
As long as they don't have a ball pit, I expect this convention to go over decently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5