• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Film's Full Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:48 am Reply with quote
Ghost in the Shell, starring cool settings, cameo by characters and plot.

But I guess I'm still cautiously optimistic, so I may just see it after all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:06 am Reply with quote
Man, I'm getting real positive vibes to this Hollywood adaptation. It looks really good and dark enough.
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:21 am Reply with quote
Looks amazing but sounds like Robocop.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:44 am Reply with quote
I'm still looking forward to this. It's rejigging various parts from the animes and seems to be trying to stay faithful, while at the same time developing and going in a different direction. The Laughing Man looks interesting, a lot darker, and also possibly quite complex.

Am I the only one who is wincing a little at SJ's skin suit though? The Major's outfits, or lack of them, are, well, a bit crass in the animes... In the film, it's just that step worse in my book. Unless they're gonna stick Batau in the same suit, and have the characters acknowledge the ridiculousness of running around a city and kicking ass while basically naked - naked plus Japanese censorship! - it seems an awkward throwback to when the male-centred gaze wasn't even questioned. Feel free to disagree, guys, 'cause that's just my opinion.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
Punpun's ghost wrote:
Am I the only one who is wincing a little at SJ's skin suit though? The Major's outfits, or lack of them, are, well, a bit crass in the animes... In the film, it's just that step worse in my book. Unless they're gonna stick Batau in the same suit, and have the characters acknowledge the ridiculousness of running around a city and kicking ass while basically naked - naked plus Japanese censorship! - it seems an awkward throwback to when the male-centred gaze wasn't even questioned. Feel free to disagree, guys, 'cause that's just my opinion.

The original one went near fully nude. Though in a sense it was a prosthetic body and still looked artificial, and the point was to highlight the idea of people moving from flesh and blood to machine bodies, so it did serve a thematic point, especially when the body gets ripped apart to expose wires underneath it. So it served as interesting juxtaposition, particularly when one is dealing with manufactured bodies. Bodies at this time are also serving more as a utility for her line of work. Making them disposable. It always seemed more eerie to me than sexy. Motoko is so far removed from her body she feels no 'shame' from its exposure.

My only issue is that a body like the Major's should be heavy, and this film doesn't seem to emphasize that fact, like, when she is running on the walls they could've had the FX guys make chunks of the wall break and fall off due to the force of it to highlight the nature of her body and make for a more interesting visual scene, but she's tip toeing around like a Ballerina. They should've at least studied James Cameron's Terminator movies. Even Mamoru Oshii put impact into the Major's sturdy body.

robertbaldie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
If I watched this trailer knowing nothing about GITS I'd be no closer to knowing what the story was about in the slightest.
I know that might be the point of some trailers, but this just gives you nothing but a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo.
anddo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:35 am Reply with quote
Seeing that think-tank made me so happy. This might be an alright movie after all.
Ashminigun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:39 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
Looks amazing but sounds like Robocop.

That's what I'd thought when the trailer starts revealing a bit about Major's past and she question it.

So the supposed antagonist is spoiler[The Puppet Master or the Laughing Man or jumps forward to Kuze?]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
Quote:
My only issue is that a body like the Major's should be heavy, and this film doesn't seem to emphasize that fact, like, when she is running on the walls they could've had the FX guys make chunks of the wall break and fall off due to the force of it to highlight the nature of her body and make for a more interesting visual scene, but she's tip toeing around like a Ballerina. They should've at least studied James Cameron's Terminator movies. Even Mamoru Oshii put impact into the Major's sturdy body.

Yes, a good point, something that manages to show her heaviness and mechanical attributes would provide an interesting aesthetic. I get your point about the cyborg's bodies being merely practical as well, but there's no denying the Major's body is revealed far more than anyone else. I suppose what strikes me is how a character like Michiko is very fanservicey yet the way she's drawn is part of her sassy character, and so although it raises an eyebrow or three(!) it's less awkward. But there's plenty of casual fanservice in Ghost in the Shell, beyond the naked cloaking, yet it serves no purpose, and even seems to go counter to who the Major is, commanding all those alpha male types (who are oblivious to her body by and large) and remains hardly in touch with her own sexuality. I guess I'm trying to say it's something I've always felt, and the live action trailers have made it all the more noticeable for me.[/quote]
Koda89

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:23 am Reply with quote
Just for clarification the dude talking to the Major about how they lied to her about her past is Kuze.

Basically this film is looking/sounding like a weird hodgepodge of the first film(in the form of all the famous scenes/shots it is using) and the second season of SAC.

Needless to say I am not at all confident they can make this work. Laughing
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:13 am Reply with quote
The film is sure looking great visually,the story though is still a huge question mark. The trailer doesn't really you that much in what it's going to be about ( zero if you know nothing about GITS). I'll be cautiously optimistic for it.
ReifuTD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:15 am Reply with quote
so, in the comic/manga when did Motoko get her first body? I'm asking because the movie seems to be going with the government is giving her amnesia and lying about her whole life thing. I hope it's just a twist and antagonist is messing with her. I'd be kind of disappointed if this whole movie revolves around a conspiracy about her. In the first anime movie Major knew who she was but questioned what she was. In Stand Alone it was implied that she had a robot body when she was child, I assume she joined the military because they would pay for a new bodies for her. I guess the Puppet Master did take interest in her but this movie sounds a little too straight forward.

Very small complaint in the long run I suppose.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Well it looks good but knowing hollywood they will mess it up
CatSword

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:22 pm Reply with quote
We still aren't certain if this'll be PG-13 or R, are we?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Punpun's ghost wrote:
Yes, a good point, something that manages to show her heaviness and mechanical attributes would provide an interesting aesthetic. I get your point about the cyborg's bodies being merely practical as well, but there's no denying the Major's body is revealed far more than anyone else. I suppose what strikes me is how a character like Michiko is very fanservicey yet the way she's drawn is part of her sassy character, and so although it raises an eyebrow or three(!) it's less awkward. But there's plenty of casual fanservice in Ghost in the Shell, beyond the naked cloaking, yet it serves no purpose, and even seems to go counter to who the Major is, commanding all those alpha male types (who are oblivious to her body by and large) and remains hardly in touch with her own sexuality. I guess I'm trying to say it's something I've always felt, and the live action trailers have made it all the more noticeable for me.

I'd say this is more true of the TV SAC series that do inject the sexy femme fatale type in her design which is much more throwback to the original manga which intentionally went with a bishoujo archetype for sex appeal.

While the original film definitely does adopt the cyberpunk fantasy techno-sexy trend particularly in its poster and promo art, I think this is still intentionally as a juxtaposition between the feminine, emotion and warmth, against the cold logical masculine tech. Humanity vs. machine. 100% Manufactured cybernetic bodies coming off the assembly line in this world would be made to look more or less appealing, though I believe they are also custom made to resemble the blueprint in one's DNA, unless they required some modifications to particular parts for specific tasks.

ReifuTD wrote:
so, in the comic/manga when did Motoko get her first body? I'm asking because the movie seems to be going with the government is giving her amnesia and lying about her whole life thing. I hope it's just a twist and antagonist is messing with her. I'd be kind of disappointed if this whole movie revolves around a conspiracy about her. In the first anime movie Major knew who she was but questioned what she was. In Stand Alone it was implied that she had a robot body when she was child, I assume she joined the military because they would pay for a new bodies for her. I guess the Puppet Master did take interest in her but this movie sounds a little too straight forward.

Very small complaint in the long run I suppose.

I believe the Major got her body when she was very very young, following an accident, so much so that she has no memory of ever having a flesh and blood body. So she is used to and very proficient at using cyborg bodies.

It could be that the Hollywood movie may be using the device of having her memories altered as well. One of the producers I believe made a reference to an episode of SAC where Motoko accesses a cyberbrain in a pawn shop that sort of told the story of a child learning to use her new body which may or may not have been Motoko herself, or that she's just experiencing the memory as her own.

So likely
- The Major is trying to remember her past.
- Her body is the property of the military, which includes even her memories etc. so long as they hold classified information.
- She's a unique creation in some way, perhaps one of few who wholly possess a fully cyborg body except for her brain.
- She's not the only one. The main antagonist is one of them.
- The main antagonist is likely a fusion of Kuze/Laughing Man/Puppet Master.
- Both she and Kuze fought in some military conflict they were created for, until that data was erased along with the Major's past for classified reasons, and she became a contractor for Section 9.
- Kuze is trying to expose a coverup that he and the Major were involved with and he likely needs the Major to remember certain details too.
- The Major's task is to apprehend him and bring him in. The military prefers him or both of them dead, but Aramaki and Section 9 want to hold him to uncover corruption in the military.

CatSword wrote:
We still aren't certain if this'll be PG-13 or R, are we?

None yet. The film is still in post production, I don't think they have a final cut ready yet and usually these things are worked on until very close release. I'm thinking they're aiming for PG-13.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2