• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I am getting enthralled by the characters for the most part with the ironic exception of the lead. The chiefs other than Grossular are kind of blurring in to one collective character rather than being individuals though.

The person who told the prince where his minion was had gold eyes, that's usually significant isn't it with the association in asian culture between gold eyes and divine or history changing individuals.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also curious about how bread is turning out to be the focal point of this.

I have a feeling this is a result of the creative staff working on the show whilst really hungry.
Valhern

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I was pleasantly surprised with this lowburn kind of episode. Especially because we saw the economic side of affairs, and I LOVE it when fiction does that, especially with so beautifully themed scenarios. Might not sound like much but it really built expectations for me for eventual payoffs.

Even though the main spotlight this episode was Jean and Crow, my favorite thread in this episode was this guy who works with the Prince in his quest for hunting down every type of bread possible.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
I think I'm beginning to understand a few things. Schwan mentioned that the women or children in Dowa family are hated for leaving their district. So what if Jean and Lotte's mom was from there and left???
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
There was also;

*The portrait of the lady that the King apparently liked to sit and stare at,
*The unnamed tragedy that struck the royal family a couple of years before Otus was born.
*The parents death in a train crash and Grossular was involved in the accident investigation (did he learn then?).
*The Otus's parents were the ones who were given the apartment complex to manage, further examples of the businessmen seeking to ingratiate themselves on the children.
*Hints that perhaps most if not all the district heads know whats really going on.
*Mauve having her own handpicked staff and suggesting she wished to provoke other factions in to action. I think this was all designed to mislead the viewer into thinking she was the perpetrator.

Next episode is set in Dowa the royal region so potential plot revelations.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Then why would Grossular assume Jean was the mastermind behind the coup d'état?
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh! Thanks to the ep 6 review, the show now makes a whole Lotte more sense to me! (Pun intended, sorry!) I was confused after the ep, thinking the point of the train crash was to show that Jean and Lotte weren't royalty--just unfortunate orphans of an accident, and that the rest of the episode highlighted how Acca's takeover of transportation showed them more competent than the royal government's mismanagement. But if local governments were using accident prone trains as assassination vehicles, and Grossular put a stop to the practice...or, alternatively, Grossular was behind a royal assassination and took responsibility for the accident to avoid investigation into it--well, there are a lot of possibilities here, but they're all world changing for the Otus siblings, naïve pawns in more powerful hands.
So if their mom was a princess and they're not even aware of it, it explains the bodyguard (Nino was probably already an adult on the job when he was assigned to infiltrate Jean's high school to better keep an eye on him--that explains how he's known Jean for longer than Jean realizes), the fancy apartment building, the government job, basically everything. This is getting juicy.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:45 pm Reply with quote
If Jean knows (or suspects) the truth, then I think he's basically Captain Carrot from Pratchett's Discworld books. He's knows he's (arguably) the true heir to the king, but he's happy being a policeman, and doesn't want to be king. Not that all the coup plotters and counter-plotters know this; they still fear what he might do.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, I did not really pick up on all the hints of the truth of their family and that Jean may be the rightful heir.

But I want to take this time to say that Jean is criminally bad at his job. Jean is an auditor, which means he is meant to weed out corruption, but he himself is corrupt, the business men at the party all thank him and site sales they have made, implying that they were made thanks to him giving the magazines and stuff. This actually shows he has had a huge failure in conflict of interest, that when on the job he is expected to be very impartial, but as Jean has pointed out, these are the people that have been giving him cigarettes, an expensive habit to keep. Jean has been payed by third parties to use the influence of his job to get them customers, and it goes even beyond that with his family business. All of these men seem to actually be people living in the building that he and his sister run, that Jean has further monetary incentive to use his job to make them richer, which in turn could make himself richer.

The second part with the building might not be intentional, but it can at least provide the appearance of it, and that itself is bad enough. Jean himself is actually the one who should be audited, people would need to go over all payments his family have received as well as all his cigarettes, and prove he had no actual intent of using his job to gain elsewhere. And then he might be asked quite a number of things from stop taking cigarettes from them, to possibly having his sister and himself selling what stakes they have with the building, because he is in a government job, and it can be influenced by these other things. To repeat, that suitcase full of magazines, is actually proof of corruption on Jean's part, and the very thing he should be looking out for on his job auditing.

And I am not done there, Jean is secretly an asshole in scenes where places like outside restaurants he suddenly lights a cigarette right when people may be eating, or while on the job around co-workers. The show tries to show that he is always at the whims proper courtesy, but I think there are a number of times where he actually is not. And talking about food in the show, I noticed a couple weeks back that the show is kind of weird about it, while many scenes can involve it, it felt like female characters in particular seemed to have a particularly strange. Many characters it seems almost exclusively what they talk about half the time, like the girls in his office, most of the time it is what is his sister is at, either making food, eating food, or at a restaurant, including where she is doing finances. Jean's boss is not even immune to it, her meetings with Jean have been at a restaurant, and meeting him at a bakery. It has been weird.

And spring boarding off of women, there is kind of a terrible part of this setting, it feels like there might be something sexist or at least patriarchal in it. This is quite literal in the fact that a queen cannot hold the throne, instead the current king could not hold it over until another male heir was able to. And has anyone noticed something a little odd about all of the other female characters? Almost all of big jobs are to men. All of the division heads are men, all of the people working in palace are men, all of the big business people are men. Actually, I don't know if we have seen any women smoke, the habit that is supposed to be proof of being rich and or successful. Now you are probably thinking in that I ignored one big exception, and that is Jean's female boss, that she is his indeed a women and is in a position of power. But I think it may be noted that the episode mentioned that she is the first women in such a position, that she is indeed an exception in various ways. And another is that she does not seem to have a family, that I think it might be safe to guess that at least a few of the top dogs have spouses and kids, she seems to have only her professional career as part of her. In terms of having a family, like kids, one of the few examples mentioned seems to be Jean's male subordinate, like the one male one among his female subordinates. The show has not been focusing on it at all, but this kingdom seems actually far from perfect as there would be a strong need to focus on some women's rights, and that does not even go into things like that one district that seems to be centuries behind.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
I kept thinking the prince put a bomb in his portrait or something.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:00 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Then why would Grossular assume Jean was the mastermind behind the coup d'état?

Because he knew that he was an heir and assumed with the countrywide rumours of an impending coup that Jean could be a likely perpetrator.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Dissapointed with episode 7, basically everything I suspected turned out to be true but it was all revealed rather bluntly and heavy handily and the massive exposition dump kind of ruins the careful plot weaving they had been doing thus far. They also were far from subtle about who it was the Princess could have run away with since they brought that person up three times in this episode.

The princes bodyguard, my god when was the last time you saw a character that was that dense and his superiors trust him to protect him. Rolling Eyes
Caramichael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I thought it became clear that Nino's boss is actually the King. After all, he says to Jean that he never got a thank from him except for this day... when the king thanked him for the photos. Also, at the end, he says to his boss that he doesn't have the time to consult with Qualm before coming to a decision. I don't think any other person would need to consult the Privy Council, and not get the authorization.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
They also were far from subtle about who it was the Princess could have run away with since they brought that person up three times in this episode.

That brings up a question I have.

spoiler[If Princess Schnee had a bodyguard crush on Abend and Jean is actually a bastard born out of wedlock, is Jean still eligible for the throne? (Under the British rules of succession the answer would be no.)]
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:45 am Reply with quote
Caramichael wrote:
I thought it became clear that Nino's boss is actually the King. After all, he says to Jean that he never got a thank from him except for this day... when the king thanked him for the photos. Also, at the end, he says to his boss that he doesn't have the time to consult with Qualm before coming to a decision. I don't think any other person would need to consult the Privy Council, and not get the authorization.

The king seems part of their little enterprise, but I don't think he's the one Nino speaks to on the phone. While he's polite, it's not formal enough to address royalty, and he did mention his boss grabbing him by the collar - something I can't imagine the king to do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6