• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation to Release 1st Half of Gosick Anime on BD/DVD in May With Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:
I'm just glad this is finally getting a dub, there are still so many gems out there which practically demand it though....cough...Nichijou for example :p

There are just some series that should not get dubbed. Nichijou is a comedy series and a lot of it would be lost in translation. Funimation would have to write a bunch of new jokes that may not even be that funny. Its like asking why Aniplex hasn't dubbed the Monogatari series yet.

That is what i have been saying forever. I dont know why people aregetting their collective panties in a twist over Nichijou. Its as you said, the show is fine subbed and a lot of the jokes would just get lost in the translation process.
Mr. Dent

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:40 am Reply with quote
Ahhh, I'm a bit torn on this. I like Gosick! A lot! And I'm looking forward to the dub, but... Why two halves? That seems a tad unnecessary, and I don't think it's very enticing to buyers. Seems like a bad business move.

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:
I'm just glad this is finally getting a dub, there are still so many gems out there which practically demand it though....cough...Nichijou for example :p

There are just some series that should not get dubbed. Nichijou is a comedy series and a lot of it would be lost in translation. Funimation would have to write a bunch of new jokes that may not even be that funny. Its like asking why Aniplex hasn't dubbed the Monogatari series yet.

That is what i have been saying forever. I dont know why people aregetting their collective panties in a twist over Nichijou. Its as you said, the show is fine subbed and a lot of the jokes would just get lost in the translation process.

Except they're already translated. If it can be done in subs, 9/10 times it can be done in a dub. Same with Monogatari- Actually, worse for Monogatari, since there's precedent in the audiobooks, which are often the anime's dialogue, word for word, and have full casts and are read by popular english dub actors. The idea that somehow subs aren't a form of translation, or that subs don't take liberties has always baffled me.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
I'm just going to say I'm pissed about something else. We get all of these other shows... and yet... STILL NO AKITO THE EXILED WTF??? We were promised we would get that in early 2017, and we currently have to DVD schedule till May! If it doesn't come out in June, I'm suing someone!
I can't find anything where it was promised that it was going to come out in early 2017, but I'll take your word for it because I might be having a hard time looking through ANN's articles on the subject...

It may not even be Funi's fault; the delays could be coming from Japan themselves. So while Funi may be wanting to release it in early 2017, it may not be completely in their hands if Japan is holding back. There's several other series that Funi has promised would be coming out (still waiting for that re-release of Witch Hunter Robin), but they can't do so yet if they aren't even able to get the materials.

But related to the subject at hand... not surprised that Funi is going to the 2-set route. Yes, it's an older series, but it's also a series that never got a release stateside either. So going to the 2-set route is pretty common, at least in my opinion. Hopefully it'll work out well for them, and that people will enjoy the dub. Not sure if it would've gotten a dub under Bandai or not, honestly. They did go sub-only with some of their series too, if I'm remembering correctly. It's been a long time since I really thought about it.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Well that is sweet that there dubbing it and coming out so soon to
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm afraid I am a complitist by nature, and the time of importing Australian releases is almost over for me, it seems. Now if we can get Irabu, Kaiba, and Monster, I would be so happy. Also, if you are reading this Funimation, please consider Hellsing: The Dawn, because shipping from Germany is expensive. T.T

And why couldn't we get Akito in the Collector's Edition release when you were so generous with Haruhi Suzumiya, hmm? I also understand Tatami is ridiculous to dub, but I have been practicing reading rapid-fire subtitles for years just for you. And can SOMEBODY license the original Ai no Kusabi, per favore?!
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Quote:

Nichijou relies very much on visual exaggerations of ordinary scenarios. Since the animation handles most of the heavy lifting, I find it hard to see how it will be lost in translation. Dubbing it, especially under Funimation's eyes, will only add some more verbal humor, as seen with Panty and Stocking, a show that was very lacking but became a masterful raunch fest when given the dub treatment.

Many of the gags in Nichijou aren't Japanese-specific either, like Gintama's jokes are (and yet that's getting dubbed). Same goes for Monogatari. While Funimation does occasionally add more jokes, none of them take away from the jokes' original purpose, and stay very much in line with the characters and tone.
zensunni

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:34 pm Reply with quote
While I wish they would just release it all as one disc set, I'm really glad that it is getting released at all and even more glad that it is getting a dub...
Spawn29

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
2 sets? For an old show that isn't even particularly popular (and I say this as a fan of the series)? Hm.

2011 was not a long time ago. 6 years is better than releasing it 20+ years later. I saw the first episode subbed not too while ago and I thought it was pretty good. I look forward to watching the rest.
Andrew Floyd

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:07 pm Reply with quote
First of all, this show was and is excellent. I was able to share it with one niece who fell in love with it. I wish Yen Press or someone would brings us the light novels (which are still being written!) and the manga.

Secondly, Fuunimation seriously needs to STOP THE COMBO PACK RELEASES. There's so many titles I want DVD ONLY but nope, the price of the release is inflated and I'm being forced to buy media I don't want to pay for. Since I'd love to buy a DVD set for that niece as a gift, I'd gladly buy 2 DVD sets. Doesn't Fuunimation want more sales numbers?

Thirdly, I will never watch GOSICK dubbed. That's a given. Dubs, in my opinion, often ruin a good series. Too often I hear people tell me of an anime they watched dubbed and ended up hating it. I tell them to watch it subbed and hope the subtitles were translated right. I later hear I was right and they liked it in spite of the "1st impression."

Fourthly, they need to include Episode 10.5, the episode that aired in March 2011 the week of the Tsunami Disaster. In the episode, they just call it a Spring Break for the show to delay it a week. First half is a recap of the first 10 episodes, then in the 2nd half they have the seiyuu for the 4 main protagonists of the show, a little talk with the author, some teasers for the upcoming story, and they show the singer of the OP. Heck, they really must include all and any extras on the Japanese releases!

Why'd it take so long to get GOSICK a proper release in North America? Did they need Bandai Entertainment's option to lapse first?

There's a reason there are passionate fans (like me) of GOSICK. Like Nichijou, it was one of the famous Unlicensed of recent years. Nichijou also needs a DVD Only release for that matter.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Andrew Floyd wrote:
Secondly, Fuunimation seriously needs to STOP THE COMBO PACK RELEASES. There's so many titles I want DVD ONLY but nope, the price of the release is inflated and I'm being forced to buy media I don't want to pay for. Since I'd love to buy a DVD set for that niece as a gift, I'd gladly buy 2 DVD sets. Doesn't Fuunimation want more sales numbers?

Thirdly, I will never watch GOSICK dubbed. That's a given. Dubs, in my opinion, often ruin a good series. Too often I hear people tell me of an anime they watched dubbed and ended up hating it. I tell them to watch it subbed and hope the subtitles were translated right. I later hear I was right and they liked it in spite of the "1st impression."

Combo packs are here to stay because they sell. Give the Blu-ray discs to a friend if you don't want them.

You do know that you have the ability to pick up your remote and switch the language tracks, right? Just because you don't like dubs doesn't mean others don't. That is the beauty of dual audio sets.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:51 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
I cant stand this crap. This isn't even a new show. Can Funimation really not just release it on one Blue ray set? Now i'm probably not even gonna buy it for over a year.
harminia wrote:
2 sets? For an old show that isn't even particularly popular (and I say this as a fan of the series)? Hm.
Dubbing costs don't decrease just because a show aired 6 years ago.
Andrew Floyd wrote:
Secondly, Fuunimation seriously needs to STOP THE COMBO PACK RELEASES. There's so many titles I want DVD ONLY but nope, the price of the release is inflated and I'm being forced to buy media I don't want to pay for.
Many would say similar things about buying Blu-Rays and getting "obsolete" DVDs they don't want/need. And if you want to see price inflation, look at Sentai's occasional combo releases:

Girls und Panzer der Film combo, $49.98 / 120 min = $0.417 / min

Himouto! Umaru-chan Blu-Ray (released at same time), $69.98 / 325 min = $0.215 / min

So somehow, the addition of one more disc makes GuP the movie almost twice as expensive on a cost-per-runtime basis. Meanwhile, Funimation's 1-cour combo releases are pretty similar in price to Sentai's DVD-only or Blu-Ray only releases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2