• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Ghost in the Shell Cheat Sheet

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holo Wolfgod

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:09 pm Reply with quote
they better not screw this up...
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Kimiko_0 wrote:
Ah, so the New Movie is a continuation of the Arise story. Good to know.

I was pretty lukewarm on Arise throughout the 4 OVAs, but the movie somehow pulled it all together for me.
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:29 am Reply with quote
Ajc228 wrote:
The original Ghost in the Shell film isn't a bad place to start but it might be a bit too slow and introspective for some people. Ghost in the Shell:SAC is probably the most accessible for new audiences. It contains a fair share of techno babble and politics but the stories are easy enough to follow. The fluid action sequences and procedural narrative also lend itself to greater accessibility among new audiences.

This. Not to mention Stand Alone Complex is simply better.

Even when the original GITS was the cool thing to like back in the 90s -- thanks to its stunning animation, cyberpunk aesthetic and "animation for adults" marketing -- it was widely acknowledged that much of the film itself is a chore to watch.
Punpun's ghost

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
Am working my way through all the Ghost in the Shell on offer. So far, I've enjoyed all I've seen. Not gotten to Arise yet, nor the original manga, though expect I will at some point.

I really enjoy the difference in portrayals between both Oshii and Kamiyama's versions, and like them for different things. Oshii's concepts and vision are so compelling, and it kind of doesn't matter to me there's stuff that sometimes goes over my head. Stand Alone Complex is fun because of the characterisation. And I love the tachikomas, and find the mixture of cute and what could otherwise be creepy enjoyable. Kamiyama's Kusanagi is very likeable but so needs a pair of trousers sometimes! And I'm not normally into knuckle-headed muscle bound hero-types, but Batau's kind of sweet. He and the Major work well together, as do the other characters.

I'm going to see the film. I shall reserve judgement. I'm finding it interesting to read your comments, guys, and respect those who are frustrated over the Hollywoodisation (whitewashing etc). I personally feel if it's a cracking film, then it might possibly open the door a bit wider and bring a more mainstream interest in the real deal. Though I'm not a fan personally, the recent crossover with Attack on Titan might also help. What I love so much about manga and anime is the freshness in a good amount of the storytelling, compared to a lot of mainstream Western stuff. Perhaps some of that might rub off. Maybe I'm just being optimistic, but I can hope!
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:47 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:
the movie is going to be bad
i mean it's an a american adaptation of a Japaneses manga/anime you know that is a recipe for disaster

I hope it succeeds. The more dough it brings in, the bigger chance Hollywood does another live-action manga, and the more spotlight our anime community gets.

and if it bombs and is a really bad movie what then
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:01 pm Reply with quote
diamoundheadx wrote:

Um, it's just another bad movie? It's not like the world's gonna end or anything.
diamoundheadx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:31 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:

Um, it's just another bad movie? It's not like the world's gonna end or anything.

good point we could just forget it exist if it fails
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
diamoundheadx wrote:

I doubt it will. Just the interest alone from existing fans will be enough to make it financially successful.

But they also seem to be trying to take some care in the adaptation. It's not going to be perfect, but it's impossible to make a perfect adaptation. They're in the difficult situation of making a film whose story is as well known by the fans as it is by the filmmakers. There are going to be some child-minded fans who want to hate it regardless of how good it is. But for the most part, the film isn't so much for the fans as those who aren't familiar with the franchise.
FormX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
So... Where's the cheat sheet? Expected infographic /s
AnneAlmgren

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
DreamWorks’s Ghost in the Shell, based on Masamune Shirow’s acclaimed manga series of the same name, won’t hit theaters until next year, but audiences are already getting glimpse of what they can expect from the movie. With filming currently underway in New Zealand, the studio is releasing new details about the action flick, which stars Scarlett Johansson in the lead role. Here’s what we know about the upcoming adaptation so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2