• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Defense Ministry to Explore 'Realizing' Gundam

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kokuryu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
In the meantime, here in the US, Ford Motor Company is developing the liquid metals that can create the liquid metal Terminators - so hold on to your horses for the future - while Japan will have personalized manned robots, the US will be fighting with those uber Terminators - who will win?
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
In the meantime, here in the US, Ford Motor Company is developing the liquid metals that can create the liquid metal Terminators - so hold on to your horses for the future - while Japan will have personalized manned robots, the US will be fighting with those uber Terminators - who will win?

The robots. They can crush the opposition. Wink

But this is great news. I hope they can advance further.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quote
This is certainly the oddest news I've heard all day. I don't know what to make of this. On the one hand, it'll be a robot otaku's dream (no, I'm not referring to myself) to see a real Gundam produced, but if anything does get made, it'll look much more like the skeletal frames in the third Matrix movie or something from a Ryosuke Takahashi show.
Rei Sentoki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Yep, and they can paint big red and white concentric circles on them, because that's all they'll be on the modern battlefield.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:44 pm Reply with quote
It certainly does sound interesting but I'm guessing by the time they get it how it is in the fictional shows I won't be alive. Rather than looking like a Gundam, it'll probably be more like a Metal Gear Rex design running on Intel® Core™ Ω∞X Centuple processor and possibly will be rechargable by simply plugging the unit into an AC outlet.
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Will this be before or after the world gets Persocoms?
jakeass2008

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Have we not seen the outcomes to half of the Gundam shows and movies theres nothing to look foward too except years of wars and countless deaths, due too Gundams just walking around for fun (sure there might be a quick few years of love) but when we are done with the love there will be nothing but hate for what we onced called our metal saviour for our dreams will no longer but a mear distant memory, and when its all said and done we will live in a world filled with money hungy goverments , terrorist with no cause(also known as twc in the year 20... fill in the blank)and rebel gangs rounding up refugees for a fight against the money hungry goverment that now has a army of mindless thinking soldiers in what they now call mobile suit Gundams!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
The only modern warfare role I can see a Gundam in would be the niche of space combat, where grappling capabilities would be very useful for lots of different reasons. Enter the atmosphere and all those advantages become disadvantages. Also if they do create this type of thing, I think it will look more like the mechs from Gasaraki which were functional than from Gundam.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The Japanese government and its nominally non-military Self-Defense Force have often used tangentially related elements of popular culture to attract young people for recruitment and public relations. The Ministry of Defense created three manga booklets for its mascot Prince Pickles to explain its mission to its citizens, and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs has Detective Conan explaining its mission. The Maritime Self-Defense Force has recruited new sailors with idol group and sentai imagery.

Booo, you forgot Rescue Wings Commercials!!!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JYTuNJZjRgg

http://youtube.com/watch?v=JUxVTDwAyrc
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:54 pm Reply with quote
IF I'm still alive and have the money when they're made I want a red Zaku, Char's Zaku to be exact, I also want a Deathscythe Hell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:06 pm Reply with quote
LuckySleven wrote:
will be rechargable by simply plugging the unit into an AC outlet.

Like Zim's megadoomer? (come on, who knows Zim?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6GLu2XdfbM

It's not the best...I can't find a clip which shows Gir plugging it in or trying to find an extension cable. Basically the robot is powered via mains but the cable is too short so the robot takes a few steps and needs to be plugged into a new socket...Also proof why invisibility cloaks fail.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Why Japan? Why if you're going to do something like this, would you make a total joke out of it by comparing it to Gundam? I mean, at the very least they could have compared it to a more realistic mecha anime.
Pitargo Nats

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Why Japan? Why if you're going to do something like this, would you make a total joke out of it by comparing it to Gundam? I mean, at the very least they could have compared it to a more realistic mecha anime.
My guess is that it is because Gundam is synonymous with the mecha genre and easily identifiable. The only other series that might have been as easily recognized as a comparison would be Evagelion. But Gundam might be more recognized since the new series, Gundam 00, is starting this fall. I'll be interested in seeing them once IF they are truly developed. Until then...
Kyokat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:26 pm Reply with quote
So the Defense Ministry is in charge of Gundam! Should've known.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Assuming that there won't be some alien technology that gives us massive scientific breakthroughs, a Gundam is still at least 60 years away. That walking robot is cutting edge and that thing moves at like 1 mile an hour and has trouble with climbing stairs.

The future isn't Gundams. They'd be better off investing in Ghost in the Shell technolgy like cybernetic limbs and a brain -> computer interface or biological warfare and computer hacking.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2