• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
Yes I think Nino is ultimately working for the Privy Council Head and King, its likely the person he was reporting to on the phone in this episode though was that head of the royal bodyguards as his direct superior.

We don't know that the Princess didn't marry, the King might have even given his blessing for them to leave and it wouldn't make sense that he was still known as a legendary bodyguard if he just suddenly eloped without warning with his charge and then had children with her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow, an actually intelligent review on ANN. I'm shocked.

(You know I'm too obsessed with this episode if I even read this in the first place)

. . . . . but the people in the forums are as... as usual. Magie is stupid? Jean is corrupt? Okay, yeah, I'll stick to discussing this show elsewhere. Bye.

. . . . . . . . . . . . but seriously, this is the best anime in at least 3 years.
HuuskerDu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I spotted a second possible reveal in episode 7.

spoiler[We know the vanished princess had fallen in love with Abend 'because of his beautiful white hair'. That sounded like a clue. Question: Is there anyone else that we've seen so far in the story who has beautiful white hair (not grey) and is older? Someone who perhaps had put his hand on Jean's shoulder in sympathy at the funeral for his foster parents?
]
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
This week's episode really put things in perspective, didn't it?
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
HuuskerDu wrote:
I spotted a second possible reveal in episode 7.

spoiler[We know the vanished princess had fallen in love with Abend 'because of his beautiful white hair'. That sounded like a clue. Question: Is there anyone else that we've seen so far in the story who has beautiful white hair (not grey) and is older? Someone who perhaps had put his hand on Jean's shoulder in sympathy at the funeral for his foster parents?
]

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised ifspoiler[ that was his mother with a fake moustache. I thought the character was a woman at first.]
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
You know Owl/Oulu head of the inspection department.seems to have been spending quite a few episodes with Lotta.

Also apple cake really?,oh come on it is apple pie,apple crumb pie is my guess.

Remember Grossular is a very public figure and Abend was a very well known person those two things do not mix well if hiding.
marichan99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Schnee's graceful movement confirming her to be the dancing figure in the ED

I really believe that the girl in the ED is not Schnee, but is Lotta. Schnee and Lotta are said to look similar, but are really distinguished by their hair: Lotta has bangs, Schnee doesn't. The girl in the ED has bangs, so I think it's Lotta with her hair let down. I wasn't so sure at first, but now I really think so because of the CD jacket cover for the ED:
http://s.pacn.ws/640/s2/pale-moon-ga-yureteru-acca-13ku-kansatsuka-outro-theme-505357.1.jpg?olafne
The cover has two figures of not Jean, nor Abend, not even Karl; it's Nino. Lotta hangs out with Nino often and Pale Moon ga Yureteru is a love song. Lotta probably has feelings for Nino, and the ED song is a song about her feelings for him.

spoiler[Also, the manga briefly mentioned that Lotta used to have a crush on Nino has a child. I believe the anime will include that scene as well soon]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:29 am Reply with quote
. . . can people stop with the "white hair = Rokkusu" thing? Long hair is common in Rokkusu. Jean one one other guy with white hair and thought it was Grossular, causing Sandpiper to remark, "everyone looks like Grossular". But he meant long hair, not white hair.

It's clearly stated that Abend has a long family history in Dowa.

He could have gone to Rokkusu after leaving Dowa, though. So it's still possible that Grossular is actually him.
Quote:

I find it troubling that Nino's father would leave his son behind so easily or that he defines his own happiness through his master's. The clash between what looks like a fairly modern society and master-servant bonds creates a certain dissonance, but while the distribution of power and following obligations are immediately obvious to anyone involved, this doesn't necessarily equate blind and absolute sacrifice.

. . . . . this is one of the things I like in anime, though. This is something that Western media is sort of afraid to write about, but Japanese media isn't. I think the loyalty and devotion thing can be really heartwarming, as long as the people in that arrangement choose it for themselves. This is also what I like so much about K - the characters' loyalty to their kings, and the bonds they have.

Speaking of K, the way they had Mikoto's voice actor play Zenjo in season 2 was already a tearjerker, but after Nino... even more so.

Nordhmmer wrote:

Remember Grossular is a very public figure and Abend was a very well known person those two things do not mix well if hiding.

This too.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:38 am Reply with quote
It wasn't just the long hair, the majority of the people had white hair and they all had very similar facial features (I actually think a half dozen of the people in the streets were intentionally the exact same character model just wearing different clothes). Grossular would also be about the right age to be Abend (Mid to late 20's +34 years)

I think the privy head selected Abend for the job because he could see Abend had unrequited feelings for her, to her he was just her bodyguard but to him she was much more special. When she walked off she didn't look back but he watched her go and followed in the same direction, I think that was supposed to thematically show Abend couldn't let go.

Its possible Abend could be organising a coup to restore who he believes to be the true heirs.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:00 pm Reply with quote
marichan99 wrote:
I really believe that the girl in the ED is not Schnee, but is Lotta. Schnee and Lotta are said to look similar, but are really distinguished by their hair: Lotta has bangs, Schnee doesn't. The girl in the ED has bangs, so I think it's Lotta with her hair let down.

You're right. My bad.

#861208 wrote:
Quote:

I find it troubling that Nino's father would leave his son behind so easily or that he defines his own happiness through his master's. The clash between what looks like a fairly modern society and master-servant bonds creates a certain dissonance, but while the distribution of power and following obligations are immediately obvious to anyone involved, this doesn't necessarily equate blind and absolute sacrifice.

. . . . . this is one of the things I like in anime, though. This is something that Western media is sort of afraid to write about, but Japanese media isn't. I think the loyalty and devotion thing can be really heartwarming, as long as the people in that arrangement choose it for themselves.

Oh, I really liked this nuanced portrayal here, it would have been disappointing to see Nino being reduced to a victim.
Merida

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:35 am Reply with quote
I think the "assassination attempt" fit the generally laid-back atmosphere in this show. I was actually surprised they didn't all end up eating cake together... Laughing

Lilium pulling Grossular's hair probably was the most action we've had in weeks and it genuinely surprised me. I'd expected Lilium to be a schemer but didn't believe he was the mastermind behind everything. Now i'm really curious what his real motives are (and the reason he's got Grossular under his thumb).
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote
Man, was there anyone except Jean and Lotta who didn't know they were royalty? Very Happy It apparently wasn't as well kept a secret as we'd been led to believe.

I did think it was funny how badly calling the police worked out. Not only did the police not save them, they went after their alternative escape route as well. Laughing
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
So at this point it seems like literally everyone support Jean for king, so why don't they just walk up to the current king and ask him his opinion on this? It just seems like no one like the prince and would support him, doesn't seems like much of a coup if no one oppose it.
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
It was implied that the majority of District chiefs (and perhaps by extension their deputies) had known for a long time if not always known (certainly the feeling I got from that Hawaiian themed district head), its possible Grossular or another faction had been sounding them out ahead of the inspection visits. Not unsurprising also that the ruling chiefs of ACCA already knew. The business men in their apartment complex may have known through their business connections or because they are close to the King. However Mauve who is the Director general of ACCA and a previous district head only learned through the course of the series and the 1st princess and prince didn't know, so it cant be that widespread.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:20 am Reply with quote
^ I'm not sure if that was meant in response to my half-facetious question about everyone knowing but Jean and Lotta or not. Smile But I guess what's odd to me is that at the beginning, everybody was surreptitiously slipping Jean cigarettes without a word about the coup, while now everyone is openly declaring support for him as king. How do they know he knows now? Why is it suddenly out in the open where it wasn't before?

It seems like there ought to have been at least some sort of awkward transition between "here's a cigarette" (um, ok, thanks?), "here's a cigarette, we're behind you all the way to the throne!" (um, thank- wait, what?), and "we support your coup, have a smoke!" (um, ok, thanks, but I haven't decided yet").
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6