• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fairy Tail Manga Is Already in 'Last Arc,' 60 Million Copies in Print

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:40 pm Reply with quote
I''m starting to think this site is becoming another MAL seeing the conversation here and it worries me a little.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
I''m starting to think this site is becoming another MAL seeing the conversation here and it worries me a little.

Funny how people like to make comments like this but not actually report anything or bring things to the attention of the mods. If you see trollish or rude comments then report them. Otherwise you're pointlessly complaining which in most cases only makes a situation worse in a thread, and have to hope that a mod happens to randomly stumble into a thread to clean it up (like I did here). So please everyone just report rude or flamebait/trollish posts.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:32 pm Reply with quote
2017 is such a great year for shounen manga Very Happy
KutovoiAnton

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Considering the recent chapters, my prediction on the ending: Erza spits in Acnologia. Acnologia dies. Natsu one shots Zeref with a punch of friendship. Gray tries to prepare breakfast, but burns it up and uses Iced Shield in attempt to save it.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
KutovoiAnton wrote:
Considering the recent chapters, my prediction on the ending: Erza spits in Acnologia. Acnologia dies. Natsu one shots Zeref with a punch of friendship. Gray tries to prepare breakfast, but burns it up and uses Iced Shield in attempt to save it.

Sounds about right to me. Don't forget Lucy getting naked to save the universe or something like that.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
2017 is such a great year for shounen manga Very Happy

It definitely is, Fairy Tail and My Hero Academia in particular have been excellent this year.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
It definitely is, Fairy Tail and My Hero Academia in particular have been excellent this year.

Irene v. Erza & Wendy would love to disagree with that claim about Fairy Tail being excellent. In fact Irene Belserion in general would love to disagree.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Genuinely mad at myself for being stuck around the chapter 90 mark when it comes to Academia. I love it so much and I wanna be caught up to the latest chapters before S2 drops, but I'm just following a ton of series rn. Black Clover anyone?

Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Irene v. Erza & Wendy would love to disagree with that claim about Fairy Tail being excellent. In fact Irene Belserion in general would love to disagree.
Besides the meteorite, (I didn't have a problem with it, but I know practically the whole fandom did so I guess I'll state that), I'm a little curious to know what you thought was so horrible about that fight.

I mean based on backstory & flashback, Irene stayed true to her character until the end. She basically had the W too. spoiler[She committed suicide fam..] I guess you could scream plot armor but isn't that being a little insistent? But let me know.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:39 am Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
It's the king (well in mine and many other opinions, anyway) because it's still a quality series and highly regarded even after the years and years of publication.

I'm glad you like your pirate comic book, but Sanzae-san has been on the air since 1969, and you don't see its fans gloating about it every time some other comedy anime ends. You're not doing your fandom any favors here.

Simply being around that long isn't my point.

Being around that long and still keeping it's good quality, is my point.

Besides, Sanzae-San doesn't have much of a fanbase here in America so of course you don't hear anything.

Don't really care about how the OP fan base looks, either. Just saying my opinion.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:41 am Reply with quote
As long as Natsu and Lucy end up together, I am somewhat indifferent on how everything else ends.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:15 pm Reply with quote
TokyoSplash wrote:
Besides the meteorite, (I didn't have a problem with it, but I know practically the whole fandom did so I guess I'll state that), I'm a little curious to know what you thought was so horrible about that fight.

I mean based on backstory & flashback, Irene stayed true to her character until the end. She basically had the W too. spoiler[She committed suicide fam..] I guess you could scream plot armor but isn't that being a little insistent? But let me know.

Irene did NOT stay true to her character to the end In the beginning she was calm, calculating, level-headed witch with a few good moments under her belt and in the end she became a mess. Aside from her dragging out the fight for longer than she needed to, her backstory creating glaring plot holes, her inconsistent magic ability spoiler[How could she go toe to toe with Acnologia but still lose to Erza and Wendy?], her basic motivations spoiler[Why did Zeref not tell her about the dragon seed loop hole? he was with her for YEARS! Stealing Wendy's body was completely idiotic, especially when she noted the huge power decrease, and if she knew it was a just a swap and not permanent why didn't she just destroy her own body], Don't get me started on how spoiler[completely nonsensical her suicide was. She didn't get the win, Mashima once again wrote a situation where Erza would most assuredly lose (Just like he did with Minerva in the GMG and Kyoka in Tartaros) and pulled another victory for her out of his bum like before. ]

Quote:
As long as Natsu and Lucy end up together, I am somewhat indifferent on how everything else ends.

This is honestly one of the main reasons the series started to dip. It became more about ships than storytelling.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Don't get me started on how spoiler[completely nonsensical her suicide was. She didn't get the win, Mashima once again wrote a situation where Erza would most assuredly lose (Just like he did with Minerva in the GMG and Kyoka in Tartaros) and pulled another victory for her out of his bum like before. ]

As someone who got into this manga during the current arc (I'm not usually a big shonen fan, so the series slipped past my notice until on a whim I decided to check out Fairy Tail Zero), I don't have any nostalgia for how Fairy Tail "used" to be, and my memory of the whole thing is pretty fresh. From my perspective, the series' methods of resolving conflicts (especially against overpowered villains) has been pretty much the same since Eisenwald.

It feels like a very consistent series in terms of writing quality (the art is another matter; if I didn't know the art got better as the series went on I probably would have dropped it in the first volume). It's not the best manga in the world, but the current arc has done nothing to keep me from continuing to purchase the Masters Editions.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Punch Drunk Marc wrote:
Irene did NOT stay true to her character to the end In the beginning she was calm, calculating, level-headed witch with a few good moments under her belt and in the end she became a mess. Aside from her dragging out the fight for longer than she needed to, her backstory creating glaring plot holes, her inconsistent magic ability spoiler[How could she go toe to toe with Acnologia but still lose to Erza and Wendy?], her basic motivations spoiler[Why did Zeref not tell her about the dragon seed loop hole? he was with her for YEARS! Stealing Wendy's body was completely idiotic, especially when she noted the huge power decrease, and if she knew it was a just a swap and not permanent why didn't she just destroy her own body], Don't get me started on how spoiler[completely nonsensical her suicide was. She didn't get the win, Mashima once again wrote a situation where Erza would most assuredly lose (Just like he did with Minerva in the GMG and Kyoka in Tartaros) and pulled another victory for her out of his bum like before. ]

Quote:

This is honestly one of the main reasons the series started to dip. It became more about ships than storytelling.
Haha I mean we both know Irene wouldn't have been a clear match for a serious Acnologia. spoiler[That's why she activated Universe One and took him out the picture for sem odd chapters.] I do agree with your other points about Zeref and stealing Wendy. I myself found that pretty bizarre. It ended up not benefitting her at all except for taking Wendy out I guess.

What I meant by Irene staying true to her character was that she remained the same chronologically. Backstory wise, caring enough for a baby Erza not to enchant herself into her child, to modern day where she still couldn't bring her self to end her daughter in whatever way for good, see what I mean? Irene was also the same calm, collected, level headed witch she was prior to her battle against Erza and Wendy as she was in the past. She only started showing frailty during that same fight.

I agree with your last point as well. Somewhere down the line, Mashima gave into the shipping hype. I'm one of those fans that is well aware of shipping but doesn't particularly care for it. I mean spoiler[why the hell did Mashima bring back Lisanna again? She's fodder now..after seemingly having a big role in Natsu's character development. Beats me.] I read a series exclusively for the adventure. I find it odd sometimes how some people read a shonen for romance or shipping and get genuinely upset when a pairing doesn't come to fruition. *shrugs*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4