• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Saga of Tanya the Evil

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
The moment the daughter gave her father the gun saying it was a Christmas present I was like "ooooh she got Tanya a Christmas present. How nice of her."

Other than that it was an exciting and solid episode with Tanya doing Tanya. Always great.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
The moment the daughter gave her father the gun saying it was a Christmas present I was like "ooooh she got Tanya a Christmas present. How nice of her."

Other than that it was an exciting and solid episode with Tanya doing Tanya. Always great.

Well that "gift" comes with a bonus protagonist/antagonist,depending on your view of Tanya.

I will say Youjo Senki broke it's world setting by having a 1943 Me 323 'Giant' flying over not-Sweden in 1924.
Having a Me 323 is overkill,damn thing could carry 130 troops Rolling Eyes .
lhernan02

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Nordhmmer wrote:
I will say Youjo Senki broke it's world setting by having a 1943 Me 323 'Giant' flying over not-Sweden in 1924.
Having a Me 323 is overkill,damn thing could carry 130 troops Rolling Eyes .

You beat me to the punch with the aircraft ID, but I think they used it for the cool fly-glide-fly points, since no 1924 aircraft could do that, but they could have used a Zeppelin which had the altitude to be inaudible to sound detectors of the day and could carry her whole unit.

On the lazy front, did they really have to use WWII destroyers instead of WWI ones? I know turrets are cool, but they had those in the battleship.

On a side note what did any of the ship nerds think of the LCIs? The side view made them look like US standard WWII LCIs, but in the top view they could be German WWII or even WWI standard LCIs.

A final note, the landing troop animation, my eyes, they BURN, they BURN.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
"The major difference is that the historical naval approach was turned back after the flagship was sunk, which raises the possibility that this is an elaborate “what if” scenario about how things might have played out differently had the aerial assault gone in first. (The historical objective behind this strategy involved capturing the Norwegian government and gold reserve before they could escape – which was not the objective here.)" Theron

Gruppe 5's Admiral Kummetz operational directive required that ships leave their main batteries in secured position in the hope that the Norwegians would interpret this as a sign of peaceful intent.This and feeling pressured to reach and land his troops in Olso by 5am, lead Kummetz to push ahead with his flagship the KMS Blücher.

Admiral Kummetz interpreted the silence from Oscarborg fortress as an indication that the Norwegians would allow the Germans to pass. The delay, however, was a deliberate.

The Oscarborg's commander,Colonel Eriksen, ordered the fortress' batteries to open fire when the Blücher was within 1,800 meters,the time was 4:21am, within moments the ship had taken severe damage. By 5:30am the admidships magazine exploded and the Blücher's captain ordered the ship abandoned.

The bombing&strafing of the fortress by the Luftwaffe started at 8am and continued, except for a short period around midday, until 6 pm.

Having the air support arrive sooner would not changed the outcome seeing how again it was still dark-turning to dawn when the first critical shoots were fired.

German air landed troops would capture Olso by 2pm April 9th.

The Norwegian government had already prepared the gold reserve,king and etc for evacuation even before the actual war started.
When news reached the government in the early hours of the 9th,that the patrol boat Pol III had been attacked and that enemy ships were approaching Oslo, orders went out to evacuate the gold to the vault in Lillehammer,(first reports were coming in at 11pm on the 8th confirmed by 12am on the 9th)

German air landed troops would capture Olso by 2pm April 9th.

It is very doubtful that the Germans could have captured the Norwegian government or the gold in Oslo.

Edit:The Germans would come close during the 'Battle of Midtskogen'.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:36 am Reply with quote
^
That still doesn't change the fact that the Germans' plan was to strike fast enough to catch those goals. That it may not have been realistic was a separate matter.

I've also read accounts indicating that Eriksen's delay in firing was partly because he wasn't initially sure if the ships were friendly or not, as he had received zero official guidance about what they were doing there; that's where his famous line which goes something like, "I'll either get a medal or be court-martialed" comes in. Untrained crews manning the fortress's big guns (it was really more of a training facility at that time) has also been suggested as a factor. From what I've read, the actual strategic delay was by the retired commander of the fortress's torpedo launchers, which are what actually finished off the Blucher after the initial blows from the big guns..

Oh, and thanks to those who made the ship and plane IDs. While I know my WWII history, military equipment IDs has never been my forté.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyuuGP

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
One thing I did notice from this episode is that Mary, Sioux's daughter has different art style than other background characters (even her mother has background characters art style). She does resemble our 2nd protagonist, Victoria. So, maybe this is not the last time we will see her?

I will be lying if i said i'm not disappointed at all at this episode. After all the build up this episode, from the generals talking how important this mission is, then Victoria becomes back up officer, then there is also a time limit for this mission, the mission interrupted by battalion size mage, but all of that doesn't matter for Tanya even Sioux who seem to be a threat at first (though what do you hope, Tanya's operation orb is next gen++). Those ships though, except for the choppy animation, are quite badass entering the area.
SaneSavantElla

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:15 am Reply with quote
When Sioux started to pray I was half-expecting Being X to appear and give the rifle a "blessing" like Tanya's type 95. Apparently the Christmas present will fall on Tanya's hands instead.

And is the guy really dead? I get the feeling we're still going to see more of either Sioux or his daughter.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:46 am Reply with quote
Well sorry for the long winded explanations Smile

@lhernan02

Yes those Type 1934A-class destroyers due look out of place next to that Bayern-class battleship.
Also
Here are two(really only)WWII German purpose built landing craft,you can decide ifeither is portrayed.
The Pionierlandungsboot 39; http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/landungsfahrzeuge/pionierlandungsboot/beschreibung.php

And the Marinefährprahm; http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/projekte/landungsfahrzeuge/marinefaehrprahm/beschreibung.php

Depending on how many seasons the anime gets, we will see few more anachronism show up.

Vols 4 tp 7 ,of the LN,really cranks things up.

Edted for length.

Last edited by Nordhmmer on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
dash56

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
I'm loving the heck out of this show. I particularly enjoyed the fact that a couple of the upper brass knew what they were doing. Tanya's awesome and all, but it's nice that they're not portraying her as the only competent person at the expense of the rest of the cast.

Also I'm getting the feeling that Being X is full of it and not really a god. It's probably some chaos demon or something that's getting off on someone like Tanya using prayer as she kills left and right. While at the same time a religious believer is left to die with prayers unanswered.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:39 am Reply with quote
dash56 wrote:
I'm loving the heck out of this show. I particularly enjoyed the fact that a couple of the upper brass knew what they were doing. Tanya's awesome and all, but it's nice that they're not portraying her as the only competent person at the expense of the rest of the cast.

Also I'm getting the feeling that Being X is full of it and not really a god. It's probably some chaos demon or something that's getting off on someone like Tanya using prayer as she kills left and right. While at the same time a religious believer is left to die with prayers unanswered.

spoiler[Mary Sue may help answer your question,Tanya picked up trouble along with that Beretta 1918.]
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you guys, I'm hoping not seeing the body means Mr. Sioux (according to the subtitles) will be back, or Mary may turn out to be magical and avenge her father as Being X's ultimate setup. Still wonder about this alt-world history that an American Indian descendant winds up in Norway/Sweden. Also, what a commentary that both sides pray to the same God for victory.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, what a commentary that both sides pray to the same God for victory.

I'm not so convinced that the series was trying to make a point there. This comes through much stronger in Maria The Virgin Witch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
Also, what a commentary that both sides pray to the same God for victory.

I'm not so convinced that the series was trying to make a point there. This comes through much stronger in Maria The Virgin Witch.

Those who do not read the LN or have not read the web novel this is a real spoiler.

spoiler[ Mary Sue is granted more raw power than Tanya by God/Being X, to Mary nothing is more important than brutally murdering Tanya. The LN has Mary not quite as fanatical as the WN ]
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I've been really enjoying this show, but its starting to feel a little like "been here, done that". I'd like to see them change gears a bit or throw some other variable into the stew to mix it up a bit. New types of aircraft or a new gun isn't quite enough to get me super excited. I'm sure it works for military otaku types, but that's not quite enough for me. Is her subordinate Visha going to do anything or at least be given some kind of personality? At one point it seemed like they were setting up Erich von Rerugen (glasses dude) as a possible political/military adversary. Now he's cool with her or what? While the show is still entertaining I hope it has a few extra things left in its bag of tricks.
Nordhmmer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:24 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I've been really enjoying this show, but its starting to feel a little like "been here, done that". I'd like to see them change gears a bit or throw some other variable into the stew to mix it up a bit. New types of aircraft or a new gun isn't quite enough to get me super excited. I'm sure it works for military otaku types, but that's not quite enough for me. Is her subordinate Visha going to do anything or at least be given some kind of personality? At one point it seemed like they were setting up Erich von Rerugen (glasses dude) as a possible political/military adversary. Now he's cool with her or what? While the show is still entertaining I hope it has a few extra things left in its bag of tricks.

Well either read the web novel(completed) ,the light novels(7 books and counting) or the manga(ongoing).

Or hope Saga of Tanya the Evil's anime gets at least 3 to 4 more seasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 15