• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Don't Characters Have Cameo Appearances In Other Anime Anymore?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
someone mentioned saekano, so I can't avoid mentioning that amazing cameo of sorairo days.
Melicans

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:32 pm Reply with quote
An episode of Pokemon was heavily edited in 2008 after it aired in Japan. That's the last really big problem I remember in terms of parody.

Nyarko-san had multiple parodies every episode, from summoning Shanta-kun from a PokeBall to an enemy transforming into Oozaru to a certain notebook hidden in a library. Of course some parodies almost seem ubiquitous, popping up multiple times every year. I've lost track of how many times I have seen characters transform into a Super Saiyan.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:42 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
3- Oreimo had an action figure of Kirito in its second season, since SAO is done by A-1 studios, who also did Oreimo 2nd season.

They are also both published by Dengeki.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
The oddest one I remember is when Minky Momo showed up in an episode of the First of the North Star TV series.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Melicans wrote:
An episode of Pokemon was heavily edited in 2008 after it aired in Japan. That's the last really big problem I remember in terms of parody.

Weren't the first & third episodes of Mr. Osomatsu pulled because of complaints by rights holders/fans?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Quote:
From Yawara and her grandfather getting fast food in Project A-Ko 3

Not only that, but little Lum and Ran (in their UY-flashback form) run by C-Ko as she's coming home from the Kimagure Orange Road Movie.
The A-Ko movies shared many of the animation and design staff with the Urusei Yatsura TV series, so Kitty-Films UY and Yawara references could sneak in. Might be difficult for anyone else to do it, though.

There was also a shot of Lum in one of the Dirty Pair TV episodes, since some of the same crew also worked on that. However, Sunrise decided to remove it from the DVD version.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:54 pm Reply with quote
The last one I saw was Hayate and Nagi from Hayate no Gotoku showing in the background of an episode of Zettai Karen Children.

Wasn't there a recent article about how characters from some other show went to the restaurant from Working?
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Wasn't there a recent article about how characters from some other show went to the restaurant from Working?

That happens in SAO:Ordinal Scale.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:04 am Reply with quote
Does anyone remember that Denki-Gai had an episode where all the characters were dressed up as their VA's most famous characters? For example, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka voiced one of the characters. So that one character was dressed up to look like Kirito. Does anyone remember that? I never see anyone talking about that Anime.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I'm shocked you didn't mention Osomatsu-San, where the first episode is now banned because it was filled with parodies.

And considering Japanese culture and their expectations to fit in, that show, which already feels subversive and biting to western viewers, who are used to seeing that sort of satire, how subversive must it have felt to Japanese audiences? (Enough to get it banned, apparently.)

CrowLia wrote:
Yeah, saying they stopped entirely seems like an exaggeration. Luluco appears briefly in the final episode of Kiznaiver, and Space Patrol Luluco itself is a show of cameos and self-referential humor. And although not the same kind of cameos, a lot of Aniplex properties like Mahouka, Samurai Flamenco, and I think Spice and Wolf show up in posters and promotionals in Durarara

That aside, Luluco's cameos are all from fellow Studio Trigger franchises, so they don't have to worry about any legal trouble. Kind of like how most of the references in Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo were of other Weekly Shonen Jump manga (and in one case, the pirate mascot himself).

It's Little Witch Academia that's Studio Trigger's work with a lot of cameos of other characters, though a good number of them are from western franchises (like Gravity Falls and Pawn Stars). I think that brings up another point though: The other Japanese companies are very protective, but it looks like they can take advantage of the more relaxed laws of other countries and have cameos of non-Japanese characters.

doubleO7 wrote:
CN is a nice parallel to these old anime companies though, being much more creative in the early days and staffed by a lot of young people in the TV biz with interesting ideas, but slowly succumbing to the business end over the years.

Well, that's a path that a lot of companies take.

SkerllyF wrote:
The thing about cameos is that they can be allowed depending on various factors. For example:
1- Characters from Shonen Jump can appear in Gintama and Good Luck Girl because the manga which is based on it´s published there.
2-The cameos that appear in Durarara do so because these characters are from Dengeki Bunko, where the Durarara novels are published
3- Oreimo had an action figure of Kirito in its second season, since SAO is done by A-1 studios, who also did Oreimo 2nd season.

But I think it´s good that there are less cameos now, because a series that has like 5 or more character cameos in that series, like in the thumbnail, is doing basically lazy use of it. Like reference humor, there should be a reason for the cameo to appear.

Somehow, both versions of Hunter X Hunter managed to keep in Milluki's Sailor Moon figure despite neither of them having any Toei involvement, but maybe that's because it's a background detail that the attorneys at Toei might never notice. Or maybe Yoshihiro Togashi, as Naoko Takeuchi's husband, got legal clearance. Or it's because it's on a dark shelf in a dimly lit room, so they can pretend it isn't if need be.
Francesco Vitiello

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:54 am Reply with quote
Light Yagami appeared in Death Parade
Dandylion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 am Reply with quote
Francesco Vitiello wrote:
Light Yagami appeared in Death Parade

I just finished Death parade, and I was thinking the same thing !!!

However both Anime are from MadHouse, so I think it's the same thing as all the other Same studio anime/characters cameo
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:04 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
It's Little Witch Academia that's Studio Trigger's work with a lot of cameos of other characters, though a good number of them are from western franchises (like Gravity Falls and Pawn Stars).

Including a drawn character representing someone from a live-action television show like Austin "Chumlee" Russell usually isn't an issue. First, the celebrity involved would have had to trademark his or her visage. Even in that case, the rights of the illustrator may be judged to take precedence. Tiger Woods's management company tried to stop an artist from releasing limited edition prints of Woods's first victory at the Masters, but the golfer lost in court. On the other hand, the concept of "dilution" of a trademark restricts people from using celebrities' visages in ways that might injure their public image. For a good overview of American law on this subject, see https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-268.aspx.

Of course, I know nothing about the state of Japanese trademark law.

By the way, copyright isn't an issue here. You can only copyright "original works of authorship fixed in any tangible medium of expression." But trademarks are a much broader and fuzzier area of intellectual property law.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:09 pm Reply with quote
No cameos? As late as 2009, Student Council's Discretion had references to Marmalade Boy and Utena.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
The oddest one I remember is when Minky Momo showed up in an episode of the First of the North Star TV series.

Heard of that, though I haven't seen it. How about the parodies in Minky Momo itself – Dr. Strangelove, anyone?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5