• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz Media Releases 6 One-Punch Man OVAs with Blu-ray Disc Release

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:27 am Reply with quote
WiIl the OVAs be in English Dub as well?
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:18 am Reply with quote
bout damn time
JRPictures

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:24 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

Yes
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:37 am Reply with quote
So the OVAs will be on the BDs but not the DVDs then in the combo pack? Honestly, it seems like the sort of thing Bandai would have done.

And those prices are MSRP; Viz may be working very closely with Rightstuf to pin down their price... oh, a free item that's worth less than the extra you pay... but they're not controlling other sellers. Yet.

Or maybe I'm just being cynical.
Futago_101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:20 am Reply with quote
JRPictures wrote:
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:

Yes

Viz always dubs their home video releases, so any OVAs or specials that are included will be dubbed.
Lucky_Deity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
This release doesn't affect me as I live in the UK (though I hope we don't have to wait too much longer for a UK release, really want to own the series) but how about the Road to Hero OVA, feels a little incomplete without that included as well but it's still a nice surprise to see the other 6 Specials included as well.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
I've never bought a blu ray from Viz. can anyone attest to the video quality of their recent releases? I vaguely remember reading about how they screwed up the video transfer for a few of their releases.
Futago_101

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
Lucky_Deity wrote:
...but how about the Road to Hero OVA, feels a little incomplete without that included as well but it's still a nice surprise to see the other 6 Specials included as well.

Manga OVAs (such as the Road to Hero OVA) are more difficult to license for an anime distributor because they are an exclusive bonus to a manga volume's release.
Lucky_Deity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Futago_101 wrote:
Lucky_Deity wrote:
...but how about the Road to Hero OVA, feels a little incomplete without that included as well but it's still a nice surprise to see the other 6 Specials included as well.

Manga OVAs (such as the Road to Hero OVA) are more difficult to license for an anime distributor because they are an exclusive bonus to a manga volume's release.

Ah, right, fair enough, sucks though.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Kinda sucks that the OVAs aren't on the DVDs, so there's not going to be a way for me to share them with my mother (she loves OPM) since she doesn't have a Blu-Ray player and may not get one for the foreseeable future. But I'm glad that we are getting the OVAs here in the US, and hopefully will be able to get my hands on the Blu-Rays soon.
AceLuffy4Ever

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:31 am Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Kinda sucks that the OVAs aren't on the DVDs, so there's not going to be a way for me to share them with my mother (she loves OPM) since she doesn't have a Blu-Ray player and may not get one for the foreseeable future. But I'm glad that we are getting the OVAs here in the US, and hopefully will be able to get my hands on the Blu-Rays soon.

So no one in your family owns a PS4/Xbox One that she could borrow to watch them?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:45 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
So the OVAs will be on the BDs but not the DVDs then in the combo pack? Honestly, it seems like the sort of thing Bandai would have done.

Viz has been including Blu-ray exclusive extras on their releases for the past few years now.

Futago_101 wrote:
Viz always dubs their home video releases, so any OVAs or specials that are included will be dubbed.

And that's good because dubbed OVA extras are a rare thing these days since FUNimation stopped dubbing them regularly.

Futago_101 wrote:

Except in One Punch Man's case, Viz also releases the manga so they should try and do what Kodansha has been doing with Attack on Titan's OADs and release that with one of the later manga volumes.

Ajc228 wrote:
I've never bought a blu ray from Viz. can anyone attest to the video quality of their recent releases? I vaguely remember reading about how they screwed up the video transfer for a few of their releases.

If we're not counting 90s Sailor Moon's bad upscale, here's how their Sailor Moon Crystal set looks for an idea of what to expect.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181841
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181842
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181843
http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/181844

(2 sets of images except on that second link)

It's the usual compression issues also found in FUNi releases so if this doesn't bother you, it'll be fine.

Last edited by NJ_ on Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:50 am Reply with quote
AceLuffy4Ever wrote:
Aura Ichadora wrote:

So no one in your family owns a PS4/Xbox One that she could borrow to watch them?
Between my husband, myself, and my mother, nope. We do have a Blu-Ray player, but our system of cords (it's mixed around with the cords for our TV and several gaming systems behind a shelf) makes it too much of a pain to try and detach and bring it anywhere, so we're not about to do that for my mom to borrow for several weeks (since she'll try to watch any other movies she has on Blu-Ray from combo packs during the same time), then having to mess with it all again. Call it lazy. Anime hyper
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Lucky_Deity wrote:
Futago_101 wrote:
Lucky_Deity wrote:

Ah, right, fair enough, sucks though.

But Viz IS the manga publisher too.... Confused
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I hope Viz eventually releases the OVAs via streaming. I understand if they wait a while, but I'd love to see them some day.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2