• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Marvel Reveals Marvel Future Avengers TV Anime, Manga Project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:38 am Reply with quote
I wonder if this is another project that will end up like Disk Wars where you can't legally watch it in the US.
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I wonder if this is another project that will end up like Disk Wars where you can't legally watch it in the US.

Still the weirdest decision ever...

From the sounds of the plot of kids learning about their new powers, I expect Miss Marvel to show up at some point. The big question is, will the infamous "Fox Ban" affect the show now. Disk Wars had plenty of X-Men in it, but that was long before the ban really went into effect.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:52 am Reply with quote
Never heard of the channel it's airing on. Turns out it's a Disney network that mostly airs American cop dramas, but has a designed kids area. Looks like the only other anime they're airing are the Tsum Tsum shorts.

This is definitely going to end up like Stitch, Heroman and Disk Wars Avengers. It'll get dubbed but never released in North America.

I wonder what Japanese Marvel fans think of stuff like this. Do they view it the same as western anime fans view things like Speed Racer's American spinoffs?
WANNFH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
I wonder what Japanese Marvel fans think of stuff like this. Do they view it the same as western anime fans view things like Speed Racer's American spinoffs?

For Japanese viewers it's basically the same thing as regular kids oriented show, only with Marvel heroes: they don't really care about the differentiation of eastern/western animation.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:19 am Reply with quote
Cain Highwind wrote:
The big question is, will the infamous "Fox Ban" affect the show now. Disk Wars had plenty of X-Men in it, but that was long before the ban really went into effect.

Even then at the end of Disk Wars where the guest star heroes show up to help in the final battle the X-men and even Deadpool are missing.

Anyways, Disk Wars was lots of fun so here's hoping this new show is too.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:50 am Reply with quote
Not having Spider-Man in it is like having a Justice League story without Batman or Superman; it can lack that essence.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote
Not really. While Spider-man has been an Avenger, he's not a core member of the group and not really associated with them in popular conscious. He's more known as a solo hero. Even though he was in Disk Wars, he's not an Avenger there either.
CANimeFan88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Toei also collaborated with Marvel on the 1978-79 live-action special-effects (tokusatsu) version of Spider-Man

Toei also happen to have animated the "Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends" animated series in the early 80s. While this new anime seems interesting to me, I'm disappointed that Disney won't make the effort to release Disk Wars in North America.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:55 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Not having Spider-Man in it is like having a Justice League story without Batman or Superman; it can lack that essence.

Avengers United They Stand is infamous for the fact someone thought it would be a good
idea to exclude Iron Man, Thor, & Captain America despite the first two being founding members of the group and the last being it's most iconic member. There have been a number of adaptations of Avengers and even in the two series he's appeared in he's not been apart of the main team, in other words they can exclude him and get away with it.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:14 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Cain Highwind wrote:
The big question is, will the infamous "Fox Ban" affect the show now. Disk Wars had plenty of X-Men in it, but that was long before the ban really went into effect.

Even then at the end of Disk Wars where the guest star heroes show up to help in the final battle the X-men and even Deadpool are missing.

Anyways, Disk Wars was lots of fun so here's hoping this new show is too.

Despite blatant MCU pandering, Disk Wars treated the heroes with more respect than the comics have for the past decade.Deadpool was the best character in DW, so the Foxban really screwed the pooch. But I'm sure we'll get characters like Gwenpool that nobody cares about but Marvel keeps pushing because political agendas.
dash56

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Makoto and other youths join the Avengers as apprentices named "Future Avengers".

Sigh...This would have been amazing if they used the Young Avengers cast. Cheung's artwork is perfect for an anime adaptation.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
Well I haven't heard of this premise a bajillion times before. Where's my Avengers Academy, Runaways, or Young Avengers television series, Disney? The kids would love it and I would love it too if you stopped promoting your movies in EVERY piece of media.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Kadmos1 wrote:

Avengers United They Stand is infamous for the fact someone thought it would be a good
idea to exclude Iron Man, Thor, & Captain America despite the first two being founding members of the group and the last being it's most iconic member. There have been a number of adaptations of Avengers and even in the two series he's appeared in he's not been apart of the main team, in other words they can exclude him and get away with it.

United They Stand has one up on this one though; At least that one had the Wasp and Ant-man. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes had the best idea, bar none: Do multiple team formations with a natural evolution and let the fans sort out which is best. My favorite was the core five member team with which the show started. The group who separately earned the most "Oh F**** me" moments from the villains and yes, even the Wasp got moments like that... mostly from Whirlwind... and Captain America did not.

It's Captain America, just a dude with a shield, he's just not as awe inspiring or pants wetting as Hulk, Thor, Ironman or Giant-man. Thanks to Civil War, I can actually add the last one without someone asking "Who?"

This show? It's clearly My Avengers Academia but even as a kid, it's crap I wouldn't stand. Even then, I'd watch a series because I want to see the characters and not their kid versions, sidekicks or otherwise "replacements" wearing training pants.

I want to see an anime Avengers. Avengers anime? Both? This is not it.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
Can't we just have an Avengers anime that actually focuses on the actual Avengers themselves and not on unknown kids? Count this among the adapted anime adaptations of western properties that will never be seen in North America for strange unknown reasons.

Well, it would at least be seen as still superior to the garbage western Marvel cartoons we have right now.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Can't we just have an Avengers anime that actually focuses on the actual Avengers themselves and not on unknown kids?

They tried kidless Marvel shows before, and out of them only X-Men was especially good (the others ranged from okay to meh). Even X-men made sure to add a Japanese kid (Armor) to the roster.

Disk Wars was consistently better and more entertaining and seems to have been better received than the Madhouse shows. So adding kids isn't the fundamental problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2