• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sci-Fi Channel to Air Karas, Black Jack, more

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:41 pm Reply with quote
They're airing Perfect Blue?

Hoo-boy...
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Hell yeah! I'm hoping for a TV-MA for Perfect Blue... but I suspect a TV-14-DVSL. Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Now this isn't a fair assumption, I know, because I've never seen Perfect Blue, but based on what I've heard of it, if they edit it for television there'd be, like, nothing left! Shocked

I don't know though, it being edited for television might be just what I'm asking for in regards to seeing it since it's extreme level of content is what's so far keeping me away from it.

Now if only I had Sci-Fi channel in the first place.......... Mad
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:14 pm Reply with quote
BE, if you have satellite as your cable, you could inquire if you could add just Sci-Fi onto your package. You know how you add a movie channel and it costs you an extra $20 or whatever a month? I noticed satellite, at least Dish, would let you add additional channels one by one if you want. Anyway, just ask your provider.

Woo wee! More anime on tv! Very Happy My poor calendar is peppered with reminders to record this show and that show, a whole new bunch of them to remember now for Sci-Fi. But I do hope that they run reminder ads on Noein because people might forget about this good show... Sad
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quote
w00t, I finally get to see Black Jack in atleast one of it's forms!

And it'll be cool to finally see Perfect Blue. Even is it's heavily edited, it's better than a purchase. (I might pick it up eventually if I end up liking it.)

As for the other stuff... Already seen Blood and haven't seen any earlier stuff for Karas. Could care less about Streetfighter.
leatherman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:36 pm Reply with quote
It's been a while since I saw it, but I don't remember Perfect Blue being that bad. Well, no worse than some of the other stuff that's on TV now anyway. Hell, CSI has more gore than most movies now.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:57 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
BE, if you have satellite as your cable, you could inquire if you could add just Sci-Fi onto your package. You know how you add a movie channel and it costs you an extra $20 or whatever a month? I noticed satellite, at least Dish, would let you add additional channels one by one if you want. Anyway, just ask your provider.

Nope, no satellite, just cable. And not even digital cable for that, just the basic package. So basically, the only channel I get that has any anime at all is Cartoon Network, which is okay because some of my favorite series are on there. It'd just be nice to expand my horizons is all.

And I don't think I can actually ask for the channel, since it is indeed the basic package and we can't get any other channels unless we have the upgraded version, so that won't work. There's the simple task of upgrading, but the upgraded package is WAY too expensive, and getting satellite wouldn't be a problem if they actually carried The mtn. channel, which me living at home at the moment I have no say in because my dad will absolutely NOT live without that channel. See the predicament I'm in right now? Sad

Anyways, as for others, Karas is also another one I've been wanting to see, even though I could just go rent it, which I probably will anyways. Already seen Blood, but I guess it'd be nice to see it again.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm guessing they're showing Black Jack The Movie which I've already seen. I've got Blood on DVD and taped Perfect Blue when it was on Encore a while ago.
So the only thing I'm pysched about seeing is the conclusion of Karas. I taped the first part off Encore. It's going to be on again in Dec.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm interested in seeing Black Jack and Perfect Blue, but I am really annoyed that they're dropping Noein again! I really want to see how this one ends before I buy it. (I'm probably going to buy it regardless but I like to finish watching the TV run.)

I'm rather curious as to what the deal with Perfect Blue will be. Like my friend BrothersElric mentioned, I'm under the impression this one's got a lot of mature content. (Hm, perhaps Sci-Fi is about to try pushing the limits and see what happens?)

I've already got Blood on DVD. Street Fighter doesn't interest me. (I watched the live-action movie because it has some actors I like in it, but nothing about the games or series have ever interested me otherwise.)

Sci-Fi's burning through Manga's library. Are they going to start rerunning things soon or have they got more shows lined up? (Geneon, you barely alive husk, go talk to Sci-Fi!)
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:20 pm Reply with quote
@brothers elric

I really feel for you. Sad SciFi's handling of its two anime has been waaay nicer than how as treats theirs. Pester dad. Pester dad again. Pester dad 20 more times? Wink Read the webpage for the mtn channel to see what they can offer you. I took a look at it even though I live in CA. More suggestions? Lobby the cable company to add sci-fi to their basic package. Ask your friend to record stuff for you from their sci-fi channel. Oh, and if you rent, do one of those free 2 week trial and cram as much anime as you can watch during that time. You may have to pester dad for info to sign up for a rental account.

@ Richard J.

No Noein for 2 whole months! Is it possible to rent the last volume? I hope that they rerun the show once it ends.

I just thought of something. Why did Sci-Fi get dibs on Karas 2 when Karas 1 has been running on Encore?
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:35 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:

@ Richard J.

No Noein for 2 whole months! Is it possible to rent the last volume? I hope that they rerun the show once it ends.

Noein is off for 2 weeks not 2 months. It's back on Nov. 12 and finishes on the 19th.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:37 pm Reply with quote
eyesopen0791 wrote:
My local comic shop is the only place around town with anime for rent, but I don't know off-hand if they have Noein. However, even if they do, I feel like I should finish the TV run. It's a karma thing. I feel like if I don't finish it that way, I'll curse the Ani-Monday block. (Irrational, I know, but that's how my poor brain works.)

eyesopen0791 wrote:
I just thought of something. Why did Sci-Fi get dibs on Karas 2 when Karas 1 has been running on Encore?
If I'm straight on this, and please remember that I could be wrong, Starz Entertainment basically owns Manga and Encore is one of the Starz channels. So they ran one half on their own network then, as part of a deal, will run the other half on Sci-Fi. It's a win for them since it means they're expanding viewership (and sales) for their Manga Entertainment titles.
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
My local comic shop is the only place around town with anime for rent, but I don't know off-hand if they have Noein.

No Netflix option for you? Sad

eyesopen0791 wrote:
Richard J. wrote:
If I'm straight on this, and please remember that I could be wrong, Starz Entertainment basically owns Manga and Encore is one of the Starz channels. So they ran one half on their own network then, as part of a deal, will run the other half on Sci-Fi. It's a win for them since it means they're expanding viewership (and sales) for their Manga Entertainment titles.

Ooooh, so that's the story. thanks for the explanation. Smile

@samuraiwalt

Oooooh, I was getting mixed up with all the preempting of Noein. Good to know it's been squeezed in between all those movies. Smile
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:

That sounds about right, although I'm 99% sure that Starz doesn't own Manga or Sci-Fi. Just that Manga has a deal with Starz and Starz has a deal with Sci-Fi so Sci-Fi gets Manga shows through Starz as the middle-man...
Richard J.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Unholy_Nny wrote:
That sounds about right, although I'm 99% sure that Starz doesn't own Manga or Sci-Fi. Just that Manga has a deal with Starz and Starz has a deal with Sci-Fi so Sci-Fi gets Manga shows through Starz as the middle-man...
I know that they don't own Sci-Fi but I do remember reading somewhere that they owned Manga. Though I'll take your word that they don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2