• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Wake-Up Girls! Yutaka Yamamoto Criticizes Attacked Idol

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FloozyGod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:11 pm Reply with quote
ofpveteran73 wrote:
If you guys are going to continue to frequently post whatever Yamakan posts on his blog could you at least bother to post what he said in full so we can have a conversation about what he actually said and not w/e snippets you think will get people talking.

Is ANN fake news!?!?!?!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Arale Kurashiki wrote:
This guy is so consistently and blatantly repulsive.

It's so strange though, because he was at Anime Central a few years ago, and seemed like a reasonably decent guy in person. My question to him was about how Wake Up Girls portrays how poorly idols are treated and asked if they intended to do better with their own group, specifically regarding the issue of having boyfriends (which is a plot point in WUG's first season). He didn't go deep on the question, but he did say that they were not prohibiting the real-life members of WUG from having boyfriends. So… that's something… barely… I guess?
Running Wild

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Calls anime dead, yet he was involved with Haruhi... lol.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:23 pm Reply with quote
^ or when he criticized moe and was involved in Lucky Star and is still working on an idol show.
cche7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
WOW, HE'S AN IDIOT!!!

So hypothetically if she had accepted the gift and wound up stabbed anyway because, oh I don't know, maybe because Iwazaki is mentally disturbed, it still would have been Tomita fault anyway because she accepted something from a potential stalker.

Quote:
He went on to say that he takes an attitude where he is ready to fight back at any time.

Yeah I'm sure giving an attitude to someone who is gonna come in useful when someone is trying to stab you with a knife, dumbass.

Last edited by cche7 on Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
He simply said she made a mistake - which she did. She seems like she's just a nice person and went to reject him in person. ... A simple "don't visit fans one-on-one" might've saved her. Though maybe they did give warnings like that and she still wanted to trust this guy.

Lemonchest wrote:
the whole thing does seem like a major failure of her management team that she was meeting a fan unsupervised in such a way.

Where are you guys getting the idea that she went to meet him at all, or that she went alone to this imagined rendezvous? From the previous article about the sentencing:

Quote:
He had allegedly been waiting for her at the station to ask her about the gift.

Prior to the attack, Iwazaki repeatedly tried to contact Tomita online. Tomita had previously reported Iwazaki's actions to the police but the police did not consider the matter urgent. The police later apologized for not taking action.

(emphasis added) I assume she sent the present back because she didn't want to encourage him and hoped to dissuade him from continuing to obsess over her. He was sending messages like these:

Japan Times wrote:
According to sources, a person believed to be Iwazaki sent multiple messages to Tomita’s Twitter account. In those messages, the person claimed to have sent a watch to her sometime between January and February. It was apparently returned to the sender in April.

“I will never forget that I was looked down upon by you,” a message sent on Feb. 22 read.

“It would be radical to kill just because (someone was) rejected by a girl,” read another message dated March 15.

And when she blocked him, he started sending messages to a co-performer asking her to pass them along. So no, she didn't go to meet him, he "ambushed" her, as he admitted to police.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:00 am Reply with quote
How about before people start making comments where they shift blame to any one person they read the article in full first.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:27 am Reply with quote
I don't disagree that his comments was rather asinine, but I honestly can't disagree if you look at it from a certain perspective. Like, "hey you know there are a bunch of screwy fans out there and you got to smile and accept their gifts, or they might take it as rejection." Which pretty much shows how much of a minefield being an Idol really is, because you got to be political in not triggering those types of fans.

People criticize the Japanese Idol industry for how they operate, but really this happens to all sorts of celebrities. So there is always that one in the crowd that's dangerous and you got to grin and play nice, or it might set off that minefield and your life is in danger.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
FloozyGod wrote:
Is ANN fake news!?!?!?!

Seems like it might be in this case. The ANN article frames his comment more as victim blaming, but his blog post seems to contain a line implying the blame was with her agency for not explaining these things to her that immediately followed the line about not returning a gift. The ANN article then paraphrases the line after the one they skipped. So yeah... I'm guessing that is what ofpveteran73 was referring to.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:18 am Reply with quote
What exactly were they supposed to explain to her? Don't get off the train at an event without armed bodyguards?
FD2Raptor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 am Reply with quote
From the Otakomu source, quoting Yamakan blog, linked in the ANN article:
Quote:
被告が許される余地は微塵もない。
こんな輩、一生社会に出てこなくていい。

だけどね、被害者の女子大生に落ち度がなかったかと言えば、ちょっと異論がある。
こっち関係の知り合いと話すとね、必ず言うのです。
「脇甘すぎ」と。

まず、アイドル活動(に近い活動)をしている人間が、迂闊にファンをブロックしてはダメです。
あと、プレゼントを突き返すのも、当てつけに思われてもしょうがないです。

ていうか、その間に事務所がどうしてこうも上手く入っていなかったのか。
ちょっと勘ぐってしまいます。

My crude translation of it:
Quote:
The assailant deserve no mercy. He should be left in jail for life.

But, I've got to say that it's not like the victim didn't make any mistake.
In my conversation with the people familiar with that side of business, they're all in agreement that they/she "were too careless" in the whole chain of events.

First up, Idol-ling (or similar activities) require the person to display great tact when refusing/declining things from their fans/supporters.
One can't help but getting ideas when their present got returned.

Or rather, one had to wonder if her agency could have done a better job at handle these stuff for her.
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:24 am Reply with quote
FD2Raptor wrote:
From the Otakomu source, quoting Yamakan blog, linked in the ANN article:
Quote:
被告が許される余地は微塵もない。
こんな輩、一生社会に出てこなくていい。

だけどね、被害者の女子大生に落ち度がなかったかと言えば、ちょっと異論がある。
こっち関係の知り合いと話すとね、必ず言うのです。
「脇甘すぎ」と。

まず、アイドル活動(に近い活動)をしている人間が、迂闊にファンをブロックしてはダメです。
あと、プレゼントを突き返すのも、当てつけに思われてもしょうがないです。

ていうか、その間に事務所がどうしてこうも上手く入っていなかったのか。
ちょっと勘ぐってしまいます。

My crude translation of it:
Quote:
The assailant deserve no mercy. He should be left in jail for life.

But, I've got to say that it's not like the victim didn't make any mistake.
In my conversation with the people familiar with that side of business, they're all in agreement that they/she "were too careless" in the whole chain of events.

First up, Idol-ling (or similar activities) require the person to display great tact when refusing/declining things from their fans/supporters.
One can't help but getting ideas when their present got returned.

Or rather, one had to wonder if her agency could have done a better job at handle these stuff for her.

That seems a lot clearer than what's in this article. I know Yamakan's an ass, but he has a point this time.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:42 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
I don't disagree that his comments was rather asinine, but I honestly can't disagree if you look at it from a certain perspective. Like, "hey you know there are a bunch of screwy fans out there and you got to smile and accept their gifts, or they might take it as rejection."

So basically they should accept "any" gift a fan gives them, no matter what it is say like a dildo or something?

SWAnimefan wrote:
So there is always that one in the crowd that's dangerous and you got to grin and play nice, or it might set off that minefield and your life is in danger.

You can pretty much play nice and do everything right, it doesn't mean they won't stalk or harm you.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
What exactly were they supposed to explain to her? Don't get off the train at an event without armed bodyguards?

First of all, regardless of what they could have done, there is a gigantic difference between the context here. What the ANN article portrays is clear victim blaming. There is a world of difference between 'she should have done these things' and 'her agency should have taken better care of her'.

There are things they could do. If they don't talk to these young idols about how to deal with potentially crazy fans, they need to. Not doing so with young talent they just pull in is a failure to properly convey the dangers of the job. In this case, the incident was serious enough to report to the police so perhaps they should have arranged for someone to go with her to and from work. It seems like there have been an increasing amount of similar incidents (or maybe I'm just hearing about it more?), and not enough effort is being put in to ensure the safety of the idols.
Saidah Gilbert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:11 pm Reply with quote
I agree with SilverTalon01 above me. When high-ranking officials and other public figures receive death threats, their security is increased. Why wasn't this celebrity's security increased?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4