• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Comcast Purchases Universal Studios Japan as Wholly Owned Subsidiary

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Does "Universal Studios" still have anything to do with movies or TV either here or in Japan, or is it now just a theme park company?
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Does "Universal Studios" still have anything to do with movies or TV either here or in Japan, or is it now just a theme park company?

I think it's closer to Islands of Adventure in that it's only a theme park and doesn't film anything like main parks in Hollywood and Orlando (i don't think they even film anything in Orlando any more).

I also bet Disney's jealous that Universal's going to completely own their Japanese park but the Oriental Land company won't sell them their's.

I'm a bit of a theme park fan...
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:37 am Reply with quote
They still film in Orlando. TNA wrestling was filmed in the old Nickelodeon Studio. Some shows film there in the Summertime as well. But it's more theme park than studios these days.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:45 am Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
They still film in Orlando. TNA wrestling was filmed in the old Nickelodeon Studio. Some shows film there in the Summertime as well. But it's more theme park than studios these days.

Oh, okay, that's good to know...
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
I'm really digging the header art on the USJ website. Imagine if that was a crossover. XD
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
The brainchild of Universal Pictures (est. 4/30/12) was Carl Laemmle (1/17/1867–9/24/39). He promoted Florence Lawrence (1/2/1890-12/28/38), regarded as the first publicly named movie star. He was born in the SW German city of Laupheim, a city 20-30 min. from Ulm (Albert Einstein's birthplace).
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
Isn't this the same Comcast company I hear about that has terrible enough customer service that they put callers on hold for over four hours?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:33 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Isn't this the same Comcast company I hear about that has terrible enough customer service that they put callers on hold for over four hours?

Yes it is... Comcast is pretty crappy for support for both residential and business. Thank god I don't have to deal with them for Residential but I have to for Business.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote
Universal still produces a number of television series, nowadays mostly for NBC which is also owned by Comcast. Plus they own an enormous catalog of shows that can be seen in syndication or overseas. They continue to produce and distribute a couple dozen movies each year as well.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:59 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Universal still produces a number of television series, nowadays mostly for NBC which is also owned by Comcast. Plus they own an enormous catalog of shows that can be seen in syndication or overseas. They continue to produce and distribute a couple dozen movies each year as well.

They also own an extremely large library of films, including much of Paramount's pre-1960 sound library. They gained the films when they were acquired by MCA, who had purchased them from Paramount. Unfortunately, many of the films, along with many classic Universal films were lost in a fire a few years back.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
I also bet Disney's jealous that Universal's going to completely own their Japanese park but the Oriental Land company won't sell them their's.

I doubt it. There have been rumors for years that Disney has tried to sell their theme parks but haven't been able to find anyone who will pay them what they want.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

I doubt it. There have been rumors for years that Disney has tried to sell their theme parks but haven't been able to find anyone who will pay them what they want.

I don't know where you got your rumors from, but from what I heard they've been wanting the Tokyo Parks for years since it's the most profitable.

Also I think that whole they want to sell their theme parks was probably during the time when the theme parks weren't doing so good. But nowadays, I can't see them wanting to sell them what with building Star Wars Land, probably going to build a Marvel Land, The World of Avatar opening up later this year and they opened Shanghai Disneyland last year.
matt78

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
matt78 wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

I don't know where you got your rumors from, but from what I heard they've been wanting the Tokyo Parks for years since it's the most profitable.

Also I think that whole they want to sell their theme parks was probably during the time when the theme parks weren't doing so good. But nowadays, I can't see them wanting to sell them what with building Star Wars Land, probably going to build a Marvel Land, The World of Avatar opening up later this year and they opened Shanghai Disneyland last year.

About 2 or 3 years ago there were rumors that they were trying to sell the parks. Once was to a Chinese investment group and the other was to one of the Saudi princes who owned a part of EuroDisney before Disney bought them out.

I never heard any rumors about them wanting to buy the Tokyo Parks. I do know that there are a lot of Disney fans that wish the opposite would happen and the OLC bought out the US parks since TokyoDisney still operates at thesame high standard that Walt had when he built Disneyland.

They can only build Marvel at the international parks and Disneyland. Universal owns the rights in Florida for everyone except the Guardians of the Galaxy and a few other minor characters. I think they can use Big Hero Six but I'm not sure about them.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:
matt78 wrote:
Emma Iveli wrote:

About 2 or 3 years ago there were rumors that they were trying to sell the parks. Once was to a Chinese investment group and the other was to one of the Saudi princes who owned a part of EuroDisney before Disney bought them out.

I never heard any rumors about them wanting to buy the Tokyo Parks. I do know that there are a lot of Disney fans that wish the opposite would happen and the OLC bought out the US parks since TokyoDisney still operates at thesame high standard that Walt had when he built Disneyland.

They can only build Marvel at the international parks and Disneyland. Universal owns the rights in Florida for everyone except the Guardians of the Galaxy and a few other minor characters. I think they can use Big Hero Six but I'm not sure about them.

I tried googling various phrases about Disney wanting to sell the parks. I literally can't find any thing about them.

I remember reading somewhere that Disney wanted to buy the parks but the OLC said "No". I could have sworn I read it on Wikipedia but it must have not be cited so they took it down.

Also I should have been clear about Marvel Land, rumors are they're going to build in Disney California Adventure. One of the parks where they can build it. There are currently Marvel meet and greets there and they're going to open a Guardians of the Galaxy ride there too.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Alan45 wrote:

I think it's closer to Islands of Adventure in that it's only a theme park and doesn't film anything like main parks in Hollywood and Orlando (i don't think they even film anything in Orlando any more).

Back in the early 90's, when there was a glut of cheap first-run syndication shows, everyone thought Florida studios would be the new cost-saver for production--
But then Vancouver stepped in and grabbed all the West coast producers out from under them for location/union initiatives, producers didn't want to travel 3000 miles to save money, syndication dried up as WB and Fox took over local stations, and Florida film production bottomed out.
Islands of Adventure was leftover space from backlot production when both Disney Studios and Universal Studios Florida had to convert to just theme parks about their movies. (While Disney is turning their old Orlando Studios-park backlot into the new Star Wars land, after years of it lying in ruins.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2