• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Hero Academia (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

That high suspense moment when fearing that Tsuyu was about to get killed and Eraser Head was just able to stop the ability, now that is a hero.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:53 am Reply with quote
Eraser Head is quickly becoming one of my favorite heroes. A strange guy but he has a heart of gold.

Yeah, some of those other villains are on another level. Also, All Might looks pissed at the end there. I expect some incoming ass kicking soon which should be sweet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DCR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
After seeing Mineta's Quirk, it kind of raises the question of how he outdid Deku in the entrance exam and the first test, considering that Deku had been seriously working out. Somehow I don't think Mineta has been...

In the entrance exam, Mineta used his balls to immobilize the robots. And since immobilized=defeated, he probably got some points that way.
And he didn't outdo Deku. Deku was 7th, Mineta was probably far below.

In the first test, Mineta probably had a high score in the lateral jumps. He also did better that Deku in the last 3 tests (Deku epic failed those because of the pain). Maybe Mineta also did well in the long jump, using his balls as a springboard?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 6:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

It felt like he was channelling a bit of Saitama in this episode.

Took me a moment to realise though that the span of this episode was surprisingly small, though.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

Great episode, tons of action and we got to see All Might unleash his fury and power against his enemies. Of course, it's nice to see some of his students get into action too.

One more episode left...I wonder if they will announce another season next week.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Akuza

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I hope they do announce a new series since the manga is still on going and it gets awesome from here on out.

I just hope its not what soul eater not was, a ploy to draw you into the manga... still a great manga/show.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Great episode, tons of action and we got to see All Might unleash his fury and power against his enemies. Of course, it's nice to see some of his students get into action too.

It looked to me that All-Might wouldn't have made it had his students not come back.

The guy that can freeze everything could have pretty much ended everything. He would be a good stand-in for Grey Fullbuster from Fairy Tail.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:49 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
The guy that can freeze everything could have pretty much ended everything. He would be a good stand-in for Grey Fullbuster from Fairy Tail.

He was only able to freeze the Nomu because it was standing still. He couldn't possibly do anything if any of the villains were moving, considering their speeds.
Of course, shounen/rpg-ish pacing applies. While everyone's standing still taking, that's not an action, so it 'doesn't take time'.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (season finale)

That bluff, All Might trying everything just to keep himself from collapsing. I think what I liked here was beyond just the topic of heroes, but what it can mean to be an adult. To youth an adult can seem incredibly strong, not just physical strength but in general the things they can do, and can look like a very far off goal. Really youths can be far off from reaching that level, but adults also have weaknesses, that super confident image can hide someone who at times is just keeping it together and they might just be happy that things went as well as they did. It has been something I have felt about since becoming an adult myself, that although you get better you are not quite that invincible image that you had. I thought it was well expressed here.

Swapping back to less serious, this was fun, I had fun in this series and I look forward to another season. The characters are quirky, hence the name for powers, but I think the quirky nature kind of grew on me more than I thought at the beginning. I give a rating of Good (7/10), it is worth seeing.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:37 am Reply with quote
Episode 13 (Season 1 finale):

With season 2 confirmed, I thought the first season is good. It sets up everything nicely by introducing the main ideas, characters, Deku's character growth, and what the League of Villains are capable of. Meanwhile, I thought the show's action is nice too in particular with their unique fighting styles. (a bit generic in terms of the quirks but still fun to watch)

Oh and that teaser at the end..I'm even more hyped for the second season now. Rating it: very good.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Season 2 to begin on April 1st.

I really hope the second season will be a 2 cour.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-12-16/my-hero-academia-2nd-season-premieres-in-april/.110022
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:09 am Reply with quote
Just occurred to me that My Hero Academia should do a cross over with Little Witches Academia - super powers vs magic, who gonna win???
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:15 am Reply with quote
I've tried watching this series again and this time I made it to episode 8 before realizing this show was not made for me. Every train of thought that enters my head while watching this show gets my viewing road blocked one way or another.

"Why does he have to go to a school to be a super hero rather than develop his powers on his own time?" It's Japan's focus on school above ability which has never been addressed as well as it is in this series; It's not who you are or what you can do, it's who issued your diploma that makes the hero.

"Every plot point is controlled by author fiat. Its too rigid and it kills any idea of tension because he'll keep succeeding until the editor tells the author it's time to fail." My favorite shonen series is Law of Ueki which gives the main character a lame power and bounces it against a wall built of rules and laws which dictate the bounce. The only control the author would seem to have is which rules his character is up against and saddled with at the time. At its best, it comes off as creator versus creation to see who's left standing at the end. In My Hero Academia, the writer is fully in control of everything from the rules to the powers to what'll count to, most importantly, when things don't count. From Izuku only being genre savvy when it suits the fights but not the plot... in the acceptance test, no one thought just a test of battle abilities was weird, that the fourth enemy target being worth no points wasn't some kind of indication of secondary goals?... to the penalty of the homeroom teacher's first day test not counting to counting to significantly not counting but only among the teachers... wouldn't something like teachers expelling students become a rumor among the students but then that just brings in the acceptance test's secret test of character and how no one doubts their teachers have their student's future fully in mind with every decision made.

But let's just bring things down to basics: From his many months of training, Izuku must have gained more than a few points on the "Charles Atlas superpower" scale. Physically speaking, he is the most fit student in the school... unless their quirk is being fit. In the test of their quirk's powers through means of standard school physical routines, he should have placed high on the list and not dead last. The author seemed to acknowledge it with Izuku doing very well with the 100 meter dash, brushed it aside with the grip strength and completely ignored reality with the sidestep test. The guy just stuck with the most obvious examples of dominance and lamely ended with a "Take my word for it, Izuku's weaker than the invisible girl" finish.

It's almost like the writer is arguing with himself; Clearly, he's going for the "It's not the power that makes a hero, it's the hero that makes the power" storyline but he can't convincingly set up a pro-power counterargument beyond "you have no power, therefore you suck."
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
I've tried watching this series again and this time I made it to episode 8 before realizing this show was not made for me. Every train of thought that enters my head while watching this show gets my viewing road blocked one way or another.

"Why does he have to go to a school to be a super hero rather than develop his powers on his own time?" It's Japan's focus on school above ability which has never been addressed as well as it is in this series; It's not who you are or what you can do, it's who issued your diploma that makes the hero.

Because, as in some countries, it is also illegal to carry a gun on the streets if you are not a trained person to officialy do so. In the MHA world there are laws similar to ours in which enforcement of law through super power is only something certified Heroes can do legally.

It's not entirely impossible to nurture your own power and become a Vigilante, there is an entire spin off dedicated to a trio of Vigilantes. But they're still outside the law, and also, Deku's whole thing is following the steps of All Might, so he has to become a Hero the same way All Might did. And, this being aimed at teens and kids, the protagonist is not really likely to have such a gray morale role.

Quote:
But let's just bring things down to basics: From his many months of training, Izuku must have gained more than a few points on the "Charles Atlas superpower" scale. Physically speaking, he is the most fit student in the school... unless their quirk is being fit. In the test of their quirk's powers through means of standard school physical routines, he should have placed high on the list and not dead last. The author seemed to acknowledge it with Izuku doing very well with the 100 meter dash, brushed it aside with the grip strength and completely ignored reality with the sidestep test. The guy just stuck with the most obvious examples of dominance and lamely ended with a "Take my word for it, Izuku's weaker than the invisible girl" finish.

Izuku is not really more fit than anyone else. He never worked out until All Might gave him a little training. He certainly has worked his ass off, but his non-Quirk strenght is just above average. When Eraser Head tests them is to partly test how they can maneuver with their Quirks in different ways; if Deku could use by then his Quirk as much as he wanted he would've blown everyone away with pure speed, but with his normal strenght he just perforems above an average human. In fact, his scores are just a minimum improvement from middle school to high school.

In the ball pitching test, Eraser Head goes out of his way to test if Deku can manage to not blindly rely on his power and push him enough with the expelling thing so he comes up with just using his fingertip. He doesn't know if he is All Might's sucessor, he knows he has a similar power and that he is blindly imitating him.

Quote:
It's almost like the writer is arguing with himself; Clearly, he's going for the "It's not the power that makes a hero, it's the hero that makes the power" storyline but he can't convincingly set up a pro-power counterargument beyond "you have no power, therefore you suck."

MHA never was about whether or not you have powers, it's about how you nurture them and how you build yourself as a person with them. Deku doesn't "suck" because he still can't measure up to other heroes, he's always been considered to be in the right path as a heroic person, it's just that he barely started building himself as a full fledged hero.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:03 am Reply with quote
Season 2, episode 1:

Hmmm, I think new OP song is pretty good, just as catchy as the first season's.

We got a good amount of info dump and reflecting of the events in this show including the part about the heroes and villains. Deku still has a lot of thoughts about their encounter with the villains.

I think in general, the episode did a decent job at getting the viewers back to the feel of this show again. Eraser Head is still such a badass. Nice to see most of the main cast back too.

Little Ochako is adorable!
This sports arc should be entertaining.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6