• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Negima, School Rumble Get New 1-Shot Manga on March 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theNightster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
nice to see Negima again even if the ending was less then desirable
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:00 am Reply with quote
These better get licensed. I already pestered Kodansha USA on Twitter and even a digital release would suffice.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:29 am Reply with quote
Ironically both series where the mangaka dropped the ball super hard on the final chapter (I sort of understand why Akamatsu's hands were tied with Negima, but I wish he could have figured out another way that would be less disappointing to his readers). Honestly, in School Rumble's case I preferred the anime's second season ending as while it may not have resolved much of anything at least it wasn't as abrupt a lack of closure as the manga gave us.
AyanamiRei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
"About Tsukamoto and Harima"
Tsukamoto... Tenma, I presume?

(I doubt a single chapter will offer the epilogue this manga needs)

By the way, has the mangaka produced anything worthwhile since he ended School Rumble?
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
AyanamiRei wrote:
"About Tsukamoto and Harima"
Tsukamoto... Tenma, I presume?

(I doubt a single chapter will offer the epilogue this manga needs)

By the way, has the mangaka produced anything worthwhile since he ended School Rumble?

Nothing much though I wish he confirmed that "future scene in the hospital" in School Rumble Z as cannon. If he did then Id be super satisfied
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Why do I get the feeling I'm the only one who read and/or accepted as canon School rumble Z? "About Tsukamoto and Harima".. Well, is the idea of who author avatar Harima ended up with controversial? I've heard that spoiler[the character of Eri was based on his wife] so it's not like it came out of nowhere.

I thought UG Holder officially became the Negima sequel so it's kind of weird to see a random interquel chapter now.
GhostD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:59 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Why do I get the feeling I'm the only one who read and/or accepted as canon School rumble Z? "About Tsukamoto and Harima".. Well, is the idea of who author avatar Harima ended up with controversial? I've heard that spoiler[the character of Eri was based on his wife] so it's not like it came out of nowhere.

I thought UG Holder officially became the Negima sequel so it's kind of weird to see a random interquel chapter now.

Yes UQ is officially the sequel to Negima. Anyone who read the recent chapters can see that it is even without it being official. Im guessing both are basically just omakes in between their main stories that is unless they state otherwise
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:25 pm Reply with quote
School Rumble.. good times right there.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:12 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

What are you talking about? The story continued in UQ holder.

Which makes me wonder this new chapter will be Akamatsu's way of connecting some dots.
NapoleonDeCheese

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:41 pm Reply with quote
SWAnimefan wrote:
theNightster wrote:

What are you talking about? The story continued in UQ holder.

Here's the thing, though: the story didn't really continue.

Negima was the story of Negi and his students and his quest to find his father.

After Negima itself fails to properly wrap Negi and his students' character arcs or to show how his father was saved, UQ Holder jumps nearly a century into the future when most of the characters we followed are dead, Negi is nowhere the same character he used to be, and his quest has ceased long ago to give way to a new character's.

That's not really a 'continuation', just a skip ahead, jumping over all the bits that would actually continue things, and wasting away most of the characters that made Negima what it was.

If all of the old plotlines and character arcs were thrown away only to be replaced with different things, that's not really a continuation. Much like you can't say your biography is a continuation of your great grandfather's. They're different stories using a common setting and a few shared elements, but that's it.

Negima never got the actual conclusion it deserved. UQ Holder is not that conclusion either. That's not to say Holder couldn't be its own worthwhile story, but so far it neither stands on its own nor it wraps Negima's loose ends well, because Negima's core never was about Magia Erebea or the Mage of the Beginning, those were just later add-ons. N Negima's core was about a boy and his students getting to know each other and looking for his father.

And all of that is lost now without Class 3-A as such.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:05 pm Reply with quote
What is this One-Shot about? Is it like a cross over between the 2 mangas?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1