• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Dragon Ball Z's Android 18 Gets 2nd Busty Figure

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
I also think it's pretty sad they think they think a figure of the character wouldn't sell if they didn't add boobs on her (good looking or not)

There's dozens of regular 18 figures out there already that sold just fine. People gotta stop thinking companies only use boobs to sell a product rather than companies putting in boobs because they like them and people like them. Razz

It can be both. Companies put in boobs because they sell big AND because they happen to like them.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Breasts completely out of human proportion aren't really sexy. It's body horror. She might as well be a Cenobite.

Last edited by penguintruth on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Replica_Rabbit

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Why they using One Piece model figures for Dragon Ball figures?
xzy123

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Replica_Rabbit wrote:

because they are using other manga too
voxthevoice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Breasts completely out of human proportion aren't really sexy. It's body horror. She might as well be a Cenobite.

She has such sights to show you.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:27 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Yeah, it's not just that they added ginormous breasts on her, but that they're too high and perked, too round and too protrudent, they look more like someone glued volleyballs on her chest than actual breasts. Have these figure sculptors ever seen an actual real woman in their lives or something? It's not like I expect anime to have real human proportions, but this one looks even weirder than the usual. I also think it's pretty sad they think they think a figure of the character wouldn't sell if they didn't add boobs on her (good looking or not)

This figure looks almost comical to me, really. I personally would prefer figures that are as accurate to how they appear in the source materal as possible, for that matter.

Also, it's not that the figure wouldn't sell--Android 18 is a pretty popular character in the Dragon Ball franchise--but that they'd sell better. The creators of Chinese knockoffs had been making these...embellishments...for longer than the major Japanese companies had. Personally, I think it's sad that they're imitating Chinese knockoff products.

Replica_Rabbit wrote:

Shhh! You're not supposed to say that in public!
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
Ah, yes. The classic pose where a female can simultaneously present her buttocks and ridiculously large perky breasts.

Japan, stop it.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:05 am Reply with quote
Panoptican wrote:
Not to be a total prude, but I think she looks rather weird here. The breasts are bigger than normal, which is fine, but they just look funky. That said I think it's mostly the absurd pose/posture that she's doing. I think Android 18 is one of the cooler characters from DBZ, but this just doesn't work for me.

Same. As a female fan of 18 I'm cool with figures that enhance her T&A, but that pose just screams "BROKEN SPIIINE." Rolling Eyes
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:54 pm Reply with quote
They could've just put her in lingerie and advertised it with the line: "See the side of Android 18 only Krillin gets to see!" Wink

...Or would that make people feel icky?
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
They could've just put her in lingerie and advertised it with the line: "See the side of Android 18 only Krillin gets to see!" Wink

That would be more appealing.

I'll pass on this like I passed on the Naruto Girls figures for the same reason: fully clothed sexy figures are boring to me. The One Piece ones work because the outfits are generally skimpier and tend to be cast-off, and they do swimsuits. A fully clothed 18 or Hinata doesn't do much for me. If they go that route, at least make them cast-offs. Kind of sad when Pretty Cure and Sailor Moon have cast-offs but Dragonball and Naruto don't.

-Stuart Smith
JulieYBM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what's so hard to understand. If fans and creators can spur on Boy's Love in their works I don't see why we can't have figures of girls with big tits and asses. They both serve the same purpose.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Out of the two figures, I like the other one more. While I like this outfit of 18's more, the body sculpture just seems really strange to me. The other, at least, looks more proportionate and styled like an actual person in terms of the pose.

Although I don't quite get the fascination with the larger breasts; 18 is pretty beautiful on her own and don't really need a figure with her breasts being larger. But I'm not the target market, so I guess good for those that are?
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Damn, Those are some big booby bombs..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TenCentFang

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't have a problem with sexualized characters but I think slapping giant beach ball boobs onto a character who's flat as a board in canon is pretty gross. You might as well just sell a Red Ribbon Army branded onahole at that point.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Although I don't quite get the fascination with the larger breasts; 18 is pretty beautiful on her own and don't really need a figure with her breasts being larger. But I'm not the target market, so I guess good for those that are?

There are some guys who really, really like this sort of character design. (Case in point: Jessica Rabbit.) When some manufacturers started selling figures with exaggerated proportions like this, they and their competitors noticed they were selling pretty well, so now a lot of companies have jumped on board the giant-boobs train.

You can see from the responses here that it's definitely not for everyone though.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3