• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Beauty & The Beast Couples [2017-03-11]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:33 am Reply with quote
Not a fan of Gundam so normthing to say about the poll but if I had to add a couple to the list it'd be Gajeel and Levy given how odd of a team/love interests they make especially with how they first met, it's still only in the manga right now since the anime ended but it's fascinating to watch Gajeel grow and learn to feel like it's okay for him to love Levy.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:35 am Reply with quote
crazieanimefan1 wrote:
Surprised Inuyasha/Kagome didn't get on the list there...lol

that's cause he's doesnt look like or act like a beast and this article is about the beauty and the beast type couples. now if were talking about his brother and rin or even inuyasha's parents, then i can see that but that would seriously overstretch the whole lolicon aspect in rin's case and there isnt enough background on the parents.

as for the former two, forget it. he's not beastly enough to be on the list. i'd say the best chance who should have gotten a mention at least would be vegetta and bulma. now he was definitely a best before she soothed his heart and soul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:51 am Reply with quote
Would have been nice to be able to vote for Idol Time PriPara for the last poll, but it wasn't on the list. I commented this in the thread, but the poll closed without it being added. The other shows I would have voted for are season 2 of Uchouten Kazoku, Sakura Quest, Alice to Zouroku and Warau Salesman NEW.

I have a lot of work to do catching up with the Gundam franchise. At present the only series I've seen have been the original, G no Reconguista and Tekketsu no Orphans. Voted for "Raise your flag" as I enjoyed it the most of the ones I've heard.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:41 am Reply with quote
Takeo's face has a Riki Takeuchi charm to it.
Mai Yukino

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:53 am Reply with quote
I'd like to include Mamoru Kusanagi and Momiji Fujimiya of Blue Seed, one of my most favorite anime couples I love.

There's also Akira Fudo/Devilman and Miki Makimura of Devilman that I'd like to mention.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
Well give this list was cause give upcoming movie with belle hermione & matthew crawley the beast.

Yet here give notice few with obvious yea big guy takeo & rinko yamato indeed saw watch dub really quite ok.

& mention gundam songs no need to ask already into GS series songs no question ask.
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:21 am Reply with quote
Meruem and Komugi...although none of them would qualify as a beauty.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

That and Horo/Lawrence are perhaps the most defining cases of this relationship.

Apart from taking "Beast" too literally (and ain't the new Disney movie a mess?), I assumed the list was going to be Takeo & Rinko, and 6 others.

Lynzee wrote:
While Emma Watson is shacking up with a water buffalo,

What's wrong with that? Wilma Flintstone married a Water Buffalo! Laughing
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Apart from taking "Beast" too literally (and ain't the new Disney movie a mess?)

How it is a mess exactly? Have you already seen it?
Soval

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:50 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

that's cause he's doesnt look like or act like a beast and this article is about the beauty and the beast type couples. now if were talking about his brother and rin or even inuyasha's parents, then i can see that but that would seriously overstretch the whole lolicon aspect in rin's case and there isnt enough background on the parents.

as for the former two, forget it. he's not beastly enough to be on the list. i'd say the best chance who should have gotten a mention at least would be vegetta and bulma. now he was definitely a best before she soothed his heart and soul.

I'd define the "beast" in the "beauty and the beast" setup as someone who possesses non-human physical features, and/or violent and anti-social tendencies. The beauty's affection and compassion serve to reverse, or at least blunt, the animalistic impulses of the beast.

Inuyasha has both non-human features and violent, anti-social tendencies. In his full-yokai form he is a mindless and unstoppable beast that even Sesshomaru couldn't handle. Had he not experienced the compassion and love of Kagome and Kikyo, and did not have a sword that suppressed his yokai half, who know what kind of menace he might have become.

In Sesshomaru's case, it was a different kind of love, paternal love, that changed him as a person. He was definitely a beast, and Rin fills the "beauty" role by taming his human-hating, uncaring impulses.

Either way, both fit very well in the "Beauty and the Beast" archetype.

Last edited by Soval on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:59 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Lynzee wrote:
While Emma Watson is shacking up with a water buffalo,

What's wrong with that? Wilma Flintstone married a Water Buffalo! Laughing

I will admit you made me laugh like crazy with your quote.

Also, where in fermentation is White Reflection by Two-Way? That's my favorite Gundam song! Anime cry
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:16 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:
Apart from taking "Beast" too literally (and ain't the new Disney movie a mess?)

How it is a mess exactly? Have you already seen it?

I've read enough reviews to have a good idea how Bill Condon turned a ninety-minute animated movie into a two-hour one. 'Nuff said. Confused
And let's not even get into that live-action "Dumbo" that Tim Burton's reportedly making, unless you want to see your head spin before trying to bash it into something hard. So yeah, maybe calling Condon's Beast a "mess" of made-up subplots might have been unfair in context.

(Oh, and Condon and Emma Watson have been trying to defuse the whole "LeFou comes Out" flap with increasing interview cries of "It's just one line, people, we thought it would be FUNNY!"
Yeah, that sure didn't pan out like they'd hoped.)

Last edited by EricJ2 on Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:49 pm Reply with quote
jr240483 wrote:
crazieanimefan1 wrote:

that's cause he's doesnt look like or act like a beast and this article is about the beauty and the beast type couples.

...you must be joking. He is a dog demon; he has fuzzy ears and sharp claws and a very dangerous demonic side.

I cannot think of a MORE appropriate pairing for this list. Rolling Eyes

mai yukino wrote:
I'd like to include Mamoru Kusanagi and Momiji Fujimiya of Blue Seed, one of my most favorite anime couples I love.

What a blast of nostalgia! Those two were the reason I kept watching the show. Anime hyper
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
I've read enough reviews to have a good idea how Bill Condon turned a ninety-minute animated movie into a two-hour one. 'Nuff said. Confused

That tells me nothing at all. I don't trust other people's reviews for the most part anyway, since you've got garbage websites like Rotten Tomatoes, which are full of bitter old folks and middle-aged "professionals" who rip on every movie for the most minuscule reasons. They never try to find anything positive to say and only list everything they feel is wrong with the movies they watch. Then they break out into a whiny tirade about how Movie A of the modern era is nothing like their favorite Movie B from the pre-color film era or something.

So no, 'nuff not said, or rather nothing said at all. Mind you, I'm not attacking you about this, Eric. I just can't accept that as a valid explanation of anything.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:01 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

That tells me nothing at all. I don't trust other people's reviews for the most part anyway, since you've got garbage websites like Rotten Tomatoes, which are full of bitter old folks and middle-aged "professionals" who rip on every movie for the most minuscule reasons. They never try to find anything positive to say and only list everything they feel is wrong with the movies they watch. Then they break out into a whiny tirade about how Movie A of the modern era is nothing like their favorite Movie B from the pre-color film era or something.

So you're saying that a website that compiles reviews from professional critics is only a problem if the result is critical of something you like? Have you ever considered the possibility of raising your own standards above... well, you only cite generalizations but only two titles come to my mind when it comes to people boycotting Rotten Tomatoes. And I'm not touching... or watching... either of them.

I'll take those kind of reviewers over the cheerleaders who you never can tell are getting paid directly or are allowed access to early screenings just to set a positive push.

And I got to ask: are part of those "minuscule reasons" are matters of technique like editing and framing... the very nuts and bolts of filmmaking itself? I have to ask because of those two movies I mentioned are notorious for being bad examples of film because of lacking those two... miniscule... things.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3