• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast (Video) - Nacho Cheese Kiritos

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
@relyat08 Indeed it was Mosaic. Well the only other place in the area with a showing today was in DC so it was 50-50.

From what I understand, moe has its female fans too. But yeah I'm not the person to ask why the movie had that many female fans.

Last edited by zrnzle500 on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
^The writing issues, lack of research and all of that can be blamed on the source for both of these properties, and aren't really A-1's fault at all.
I agree with this but everything else feels rushed and that's the point I'm getting at.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:18 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
@relyat08 Indeed it was Mosaic. Well the only other place in the area with a showing today was in DC so it was 50-50.

From what I understand, moe has its female fans too. But yeah I'm not the person to ask why the movie had that many female fans.
Lots of superhero movies can have mindless nonsensical plots and problems with portrayals of women but there are plenty of women who love superhero movies. SAO is basically like a superhero popcorn movie and as Zac said in the podcast, SAO's problems with sexism is more naive than sinister in motivations, so it's easier to write off as just dumb fun. I also imagine there's probably a lot of Kirito/Klein fangirls.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:18 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:

One thing that I find really interesting about this franchise is that there are a lot of female fans. I can't say I really understand why, honestly.

Because PC society wants us to believe that all women think alike and have the same values and cares as PC society. Reality is, women are just like men, in that they are not the same and can like different things for different reasons.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Would you put Sword Art Online as something you don't bring up on certain sites? I've brought up various shows on other sites and got torn up for it. The problem is YouTube very prominent in our society to the point that we revolve around it. YouTube raped the franchise as a whole and promises to continue to.

I think you're seriously over-estimating YouTubes importance when it comes to anime. Nobody on there matters to anime if we're talking about YouTube 'critics' hating the series, but then I've never really been into 'internet critic culture'. I care more about the Japan side of things like 2ch and NicoNico. The franchise is in no 'danger'.

-Stuart Smith
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I really desperately wanted to like SAO, because I think the world-building is really good, the fight scenes are impressive, and I have yet to really fall in love with a fantasy anime (and fantasy is my genre of choice in Western media), but I could not get over how stupid its treatment of the female characters was (I ran into this problem with Grimgar as well).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
Hooray for another Heat Guy J joke at last! That will atone for the practice of talking during film screenings, I imagine.

Not to worry, I will be on the live chats here and there asking for more HGJ jabs.
ParaChomp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:
I think you're seriously over-estimating YouTubes importance when it comes to anime. Nobody on there matters to anime if we're talking about YouTube 'critics' hating the series, but then I've never really been into 'internet critic culture'. I care more about the Japan side of things like 2ch and NicoNico. The franchise is in no 'danger'.

-Stuart Smith
True, Japan doesn't care about criticism in the slightest. That said, it's really hard to enjoy something when a massive community is against you.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:44 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
True, Japan doesn't care about criticism in the slightest.

We've seen articles in the past about how the Japanese film industry's relationship with criticism is very different from Hollywood's, but considering a recent ANNCast (I forget whether it was with the Funimation people or the Crunchyroll people) mentioned that representatives in Japan wanted to know what people were saying about currently-airing shows on English-language social media, there might be some growing interest in obtaining community feedback, at least with regards to anime films.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
ParaChomp wrote:
True, Japan doesn't care about criticism in the slightest.

We've seen articles in the past about how the Japanese film industry's relationship with criticism is very different from Hollywood's, but considering a recent ANNCast (I forget whether it was with the Funimation people or the Crunchyroll people) mentioned that representatives in Japan wanted to know what people were saying about currently-airing shows on English-language social media, there might be some growing interest in obtaining community feedback, at least with regards to anime films.

I recall it being said that Japanese media which covers entertainment tends to be more favorable and at times acts almost as an advertisement for the product. In the past Japanese companies have gotten upset at western critics for being...well critical. As far as wanting to know about fan reactions, that's different than reacting to critics reactions and the purpose maybe more as a bargaining tool in contract negotiations with licensing companies or maybe just plain curiosity as opposed to getting "community feedback".
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:19 am Reply with quote
ParaChomp wrote:
Quote:
That said, it's really hard to enjoy something when a massive community is against you.

That is easy to fix. Just don't read/watch their comments about a show you like.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
Roxas4ever wrote:
I really desperately wanted to like SAO, because I think the world-building is really good, the fight scenes are impressive, and I have yet to really fall in love with a fantasy anime (and fantasy is my genre of choice in Western media), but I could not get over how stupid its treatment of the female characters was (I ran into this problem with Grimgar as well).

Have you given Log Horizon a try? It starts with the same "trapped in a game" premise as first season SAO, but takes it a different direction and puts much more effort into developing the whole cast, rather than just a singular character. Most of the female characters don't REALLY come into their own until second season (first season is MOSTLY "world building", but in an entertaining way IMO) but they play a big role in first season. It's by the same author as Maoyu, which has an intelligent, capable female MC.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
One thing that I find really interesting about this franchise is that there are a lot of female fans. I can't say I really understand why, honestly.
They like the romanchikku aspects of it, id est, Kirito and Asuna getting "married" and "having" a daughter, living in marital bliss while in SAO.
Roxas4ever

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:33 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:

Have you given Log Horizon a try? It starts with the same "trapped in a game" premise as first season SAO, but takes it a different direction and puts much more effort into developing the whole cast, rather than just a singular character. Most of the female characters don't REALLY come into their own until second season (first season is MOSTLY "world building", but in an entertaining way IMO) but they play a big role in first season. It's by the same author as Maoyu, which has an intelligent, capable female MC.

I haven't watched Log Horizon yet, but I have heard so many good things about it. I really do need to give it a shot.
bin1127

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:44 am Reply with quote
Wow who's been drawing the thumbnail pic for this video? It looks right out of a manga lol Maybe it's something in the works?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2