• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst of the Season So Far: Week of Feb 26-Mar 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:54 pm Reply with quote
As far as the cumulative ranking is concerned, this season has been boring in a good way because most of the best shows have been consistently in the top 10. Barring a catastrophe, Showa should end at the top.

For those paying close attention, in the history of these rankings, has there been a show that kept the number 1 ranking from start to finish?
Cranium

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Gintama held #1 during Winter 2016 season. And Showa was #2 at the end of that season

animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2016-04-05/the-best-and-worst-of-the-winter-2016-season/.100692
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:03 pm Reply with quote
SkerllyF

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 pm Reply with quote
How's Akiba'S Trip? Good? Bad? Average?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:58 pm Reply with quote
@angelmcazares for the cumulative it is as Rinkwolf and Cranium have said, and those two are the only other ones that kept first over a whole season. For weekly though, Shouwa's consistent hold on first is entirely unprecedented. This has been a little surprising to me since a few shows are close in terms of average ratings. It's possible it could lose that but cumulative seems to be Shouwa's.

@SkerllyF As long as you are not expecting a lot of focus on an overarching plot, I'd say it is better than expected. It is very episodic. It is frequently a good parody of various hobbies, though it has some weaker episodes.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
Showa might've performed during its previous season as it has this season, but because of the manipulative hate-voting during the early episodes, we'll never know for sure. I don't know if they went back and fixed things once they figured out what was going on, or just moved forward from where they were, but either way, it's hard to know absolutely whether all the spam voting got filtered out or if the corrections took out some genuine low opinions with the garbage votes. Or not - I guess the dip in the weekly toward the end was real. Smile

Is anyone ever going to license this for home video (did I miss an announcement)?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:11 pm Reply with quote
The fix was retroactive as well so the spamming has been accounted for. It wouldn't have been second if that weren't the case. And if memory serves, the average ratings prior to the spammers attacked it were usually closer to 4.5, so it seems this season is more consistently well liked that the first, for whatever reason.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
The fix was retroactive as well so the spamming has been accounted for. It wouldn't have been second if that weren't the case. And if memory serves, the average ratings prior to the spammers attacked it were usually closer to 4.5, so it seems this season is more consistently well liked that the first, for whatever reason.

It's probably a slightly lower number of viewers; waiting a year between seasons will do that. That is the one thing that bugs me about our otherwise extremely enlightening ranking system. It doesn't account for popularity at all, so sometimes things that a really small (but devoted) number of people are watching float to the top, while shows with an unusually high threshold of popularity basically get handicapped for ranking higher. More votes = higher probability of kearning toward the middle. That's probability of course, not certainty (Re:Zero was definitely popular as well as beloved), but it's something to keep in mind when looking at the rankings.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Well I certainly don't have the numbers, but at least from anecdotal evidence (to be taken with a grain of salt of course), I thought some people were drawn to the show after its very respectable performance in the AOTY rankings. Though it is likely that that was less than those who didn't like the first season not picking up the second. I do suspect that it is due to some degree of concentration in viewer opinion (more of the people watching like it, often a lot, than previously).
PaulBizkit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:03 am Reply with quote
SkerllyF wrote:
How's Akiba'S Trip? Good? Bad? Average?

I really like it because I travelled to Japan in December (first time I left my country!) and I LOVED Akihabara, I really loved it. And now having a show where you can see the real-life locations is just very cool and entertaining. And they even nail even the smallest details, like the 1Up magazine that the blonde girl uses to tell the other characters that something is note-worthy.

Being episodic and having each episode be about different hobbies is the best way to make a show like this, where the main character is the setting.

If I hadn't been to Japan, I would have never watched it though. But anyways, a very entertaining show for people that actually went to Akihabara.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1