• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: Bandai Entertainment Inc. to Release Kadokawa's Anime Series, Lucky Star

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:44 am Reply with quote
DO. NOT. WANT.

This show is just bad. They spend ten minutes talking about how they eat their snacks in the first episode. The music that plays sounds like its supposed to be the most hilarious you've ever heard.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'm actually kinda happy that it got licensed.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:51 am Reply with quote
Whoo! I can't wait to get my hands on this. I love this show. Very Happy

and I love the debate they're having on youtube about it. its funny.

Last edited by britannicamoore on Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
YumeKaze

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote
I've heard great things about this show. If it's anything like Azumanga Daioh, it should be entertaining.
Shadowguy108

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'm quite happy about Lucky Star coming to the USA.
I doubt it will ever be released in germany so I will buy the US DVDs instead (just like I did with Haruhi). Hope the Volumes will be as good (extra an box wise) as the Haruhi DVDs
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote
If I were Kadokawa/Bandai I would charge about $60-$70 a DVD to milk the shows fans for all they're worth. Something tells me a lot of them would pay anyway. Seems like a smart licensing to me as it's one of the most fit shows for consumption that I've ever laid eyes on. After all, one of the main themes of the show is buying stuff, though I'm not sure how that will pay off in the west unless they ship off all the merchandise this show spawned (which is a LOT) as well.
james039

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
I hope they do limited editions which include the BGM CD's or even the Karaoke box songs they did at the end of each episode.

I frickin love this show, but I understand it's, uh, an acquired taste. Much of the humor is in-jokes.. Laughing
Taiyz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:
DO. NOT. WANT.

This show is just bad. They spend ten minutes talking about how they eat their snacks in the first episode. The music that plays sounds like its supposed to be the most hilarious you've ever heard.
Watch past the first 4 episodes. It quickly becomes a huge otaku fanservice with references to all kinds of stuff. (There's even a debate about Gundam, for god's sake.)

And who can say no to Minoru Shiraishi, AKA Taniguchi from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
domino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:32 am Reply with quote
Eugh. I know a show is bad when I can't even make it through a trailer without wincing.

I knew this day would eventually come, but am grumpy about it. Lucky Star DVDs in American stores means I have to be reminded of its existence every time I walk by the DVD shelves. Sad
Polly E.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:35 am Reply with quote
With all the Haruhi referencing Lucky Star did, for some reason I don't find this any real surprise. Bandai will likely be hammering home that connection for the duration of the English production/release.

"From the studio that brought The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya." And it'll probably work too.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Kaioshin_Sama wrote:
If I were Kadokawa/Bandai I would charge about $60-$70 a DVD to milk the shows fans for all they're worth. Something tells me a lot of them would pay anyway. Seems like a smart licensing to me as it's one of the most fit shows for consumption that I've ever laid eyes on. After all, one of the main themes of the show is buying stuff, though I'm not sure how that will pay off in the west unless they ship off all the merchandise this show spawned (which is a LOT) as well.

I wouldn't. I'd be a lost cause. They aren't stupid....hopefully.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:40 am Reply with quote
Kind of a yawn-fest. Anime pure comedies tend to have trouble maintaining energy and humor across a whole season, but geez this thing is sleepy. The Lucky Channel parts were funny at first, but they're really just one joke repeated once an episode.
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote
And...
GYWAH!!! Praise Bandai! I love this anime so much! I was extremely sad when it ended. In my personal anime list, this came second last season, only to be beat out by a tie of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and Seirei no Moribito for first place. (still can't decide which one I liked more Anime hyper) If you like comedic otaku references this anime is a must.
hentai4me

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:58 am Reply with quote
I really want to get this...but as of yet TMoHS has not had a UK release and I doubt that something like LS would get licensed if that doesn't...I'll buy Haruhi the moment it comes out just because it has the chance of getting LS out here as well.

Hopefully if cute shows like LS do well other ones like Hidamari Sketch will also be brought over. (hopeful but doubtful...)
Cosplaybunny

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I hope they put out regular and limited editions as well. This show looks amazing, but from what I've seen so far and read, it looks like its right up my ally. Anime comedies have always been my favorite, and to have a main character that I can relate to in several ways has definitely won me over. I looked at the list of ending songs, I really hope they release the cds as well, otherwise I'll just have to hunt them down! Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5