• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Russian Blogger on Trial for Playing Pokémon Go in Church

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:26 am Reply with quote
I think I just got dumber reading this. R.I.P IQ.
OpinionatedWeaboo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:55 am Reply with quote
I'm not religious. At all. I could rant about how terrible it is... but I won't. Why? Because there's a time and place for everything.
This is neither the time nor the place, and neither was then and there with this "Youtuber." Lack of common sense seems to be all the rage with these Youtubers.
Now, their viewers... it takes a special kind of dumb to glorify nonsensical behavior. I'll just leave it at that.
Topgunguy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:
I'm not religious. At all. I could rant about how terrible it

Pretty odd conclusion considering most of the world's problems today are caused by Godless old liars up top.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm sorta on his side, but at the same time, I kinda wish they did the same thing to people who text in theaters.... Rolling Eyes
teferi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:34 pm Reply with quote
OpinionatedWeaboo wrote:
I'm not religious. At all. I could rant about how terrible it is... but I won't. Why? Because there's a time and place for everything.
This is neither the time nor the place, and neither was then and there with this "Youtuber." Lack of common sense seems to be all the rage with these Youtubers.
Now, their viewers... it takes a special kind of dumb to glorify nonsensical behavior. I'll just leave it at that.

I think the issue here is more that a country is enforcing church law with prison sentences. I wasn't really aware that Russia was that backwards, but I guess you learn something new every now and then.
Caciulacdlac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's Russia. What did you expect? Also, since the church is God's home, doesn't that mean only God can judge him? Rolling Eyes
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Whatever happened to kicking someone out and then threatening them for trespassing? If I tell you "hey, you can't do that here" and you go "Too bad! Free gaming over your religion!" then I have the right to boot your ass from the premises and call the cops.

Isn't that what this would be? Trespassing?
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm Reply with quote
The punishment doesn't fit the crime, a small fine or being kicked out would've been the right decision.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Article content: "The Russian Orthodox Church reportedly said the alleged provocative nature of the video led to Sokolovsky's prosecution rather than the act of playing Pokémon Go."

Article headline: "Russian Blogger on Trial for Playing Pokémon Go in Church"

If that's clickbait, it worked on me. Kudos.
SpaceTheGamer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Coukdn't they I dunno just kick him out of the church? Why the hell sentence him to 7 years of prison?!?!?!
I've seen people using phones in Roman Catholic Churches a lot and nobody seemed to mind. Is Russion Orthodox Church really that strict???
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:28 pm Reply with quote
So I actually watched the video, and unless there's some nasty Russian being said, it's literally just this guy playing Pokemon Go in a church. So could someone explain how that fits the bill according to this line in the article?

Quote:
The Russian Orthodox Church reportedly said the alleged provocative nature of the video led to Sokolovsky's prosecution rather than the act of playing Pokémon Go...three members were convicted of the same offense of 'incitement to hatred and attacks on the liberty of faith'

What part is considered provacative? Or even inciting hatred/attacks? Are there just really strict (legally enforced) rules about what you can and can't do in a church in Russia? I'm just deeply confused.

EDIT: See my post below; kid seems to have been arrested for promoting atheism, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by whiskeyii on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
projectfear22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
The fudge? just kick him out, are you insane? this is middle ages level of trial. Not only do they have stupid reasons but just looking at "liberty of faith" makes me facepalm.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Ah, well according to Fox News, this kid was an atheist (I can't seem to find anything aside from Fox, Breitbart, or the Daily Mail that confirms this, FYI, but his second-hand translated statement seems to substantiate this particular claim), and at the end of the video the kid says this:

Fox News wrote:
At the end of the video Sokolovsky says that he caught several Pokemon in the church. “But, you know, I didn’t catch the rarest pokemon that you could find there – Jesus,” he adds. “But I couldn’t help it. They say it doesn’t exist, so I’m not really surprised.”

So I guess he was arrested for promoting atheism?

Last edited by whiskeyii on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Weird. You'd think if things are so extreme in Russia, people would know better than to mess around like this.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm Reply with quote
And the U.S.S.R. used to be staunchly atheist. I guess Putin et al were watching the U.S. and realized that Marx was right. If you want to control the people, control their religion while becoming its fiercest proponent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2